View Poll Results: Please make your choice as how you think everyone should refer to our University rega

Voters
161. This poll is closed
  • Universlty of Louisiana - Lafayette

8 4.97%
  • ULL

14 8.70%
  • U-LALa

10 6.21%
  • Louisiana or Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns

80 49.69%
  • UL Lafayette or Lafayette

5 3.11%
  • Ragin Cajuns

11 6.83%
  • ULA

33 20.50%

Thread: Our Name for Sports

This is a GREAT IDEA Our Name for Sports

Since there seems to be controversy with use of UL for both us and Louisville, the use of the offical title in sports, like to see what the majority thinks. Before you vote consider the use of your choice on uniforms, by the media and by broadcasters.

I don't get quite as emotional as many on the forums; but I'd like to see us stick to one for a while. While i prefer "Louisiana", I've got no problem with ULA. Not a big fan of "Ubiversity of Louisiana - Laf" :<))

When I see the same line of the poll say Louisiana or Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns I see a stacked question. In my mind I have to cut those results in half. My favorite is just Louisiana, my third favorite is Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns, my second favorite is ULaLa so since it is by itself that gets my vote.

Just Louisiana!
    OR ULA

5. Default

The University of Louisiana just happens to be located in Lafayette. Another well known name that applies is Université des Acadiens

Perhaps what should happen is this; merge the two names, not unlike what Louisiana State University and the Agricultural and Mechanical college did over a century ago.

Then abbreviation could simply be ULA

Intials to an university mean a lot. ULA without a doubt.

Turbine, you have initials and names together. They are two separate things. We would still be the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. Our initals would be ULA instead of ULL.

8. Default

Originally posted by ULTubaTom
    Turbine, you have initials and names together. They are two separate things. We would still be the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. Our initals would be ULA instead of ULL.
    ULA is great I am concerned with the illegality of simply using UL and trying to fit within the framework of the poorly written edict below.

The use of the two-letter University of Louisiana abbreviation, “UL,” and/or the phrase “U of L” are prohibited by the university or any of its affiliated organizations (alumni associations, development foundations, bookstores, etc.). For academic, public relations, athletic, as well as other purposes not specified, the use of the University of Louisiana abbreviation must always include the abbreviation for the municipal location of the institution. For example, ULR is appropriate for University of Louisiana at Rayne.

ULM didn't seem to concern themselves with the edict or law with the use of LOUISIANA on the sides of their helmets so why should we. I myself like Louisiana (and Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns) and the abbrev. ULA both.

What I can't stand to see and hear is on TV broadcasts when we are referred to as "Lafayette" only.

10. Default

Originally posted by Cajuns4me
    ULM didn't seem to concern themselves with the edict or law with the use of LOUISIANA on the sides of their helmets so why should we. I myself like Louisiana (and Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns) and the abbrev. ULA both.

What I can't stand to see and hear is on TV broadcasts when we are referred to as "Lafayette" only.
    I agree 100%

The thing is, the edict doesn't touch the issue of using the term "Louisiana." That is unless you attach it to the term "University of."

Use of Louisiana is available, I have long been a proponent of seizing usage of the term

And I also agree with you, sir.

I do not see the controversy, UL is not for the use of just one University!! Look how many use MSU, ASU, etc!!

We as a UNIVERSITY of LOUISIANA have to push harder. We have not yet begun to fight!!!!

DaddyCajun!!

USL (1960-1983)  (1985-1998) identity crisis

This is the problem with ULL fans. We have an identity crisis. Everyone out there sees this as unstable and mock us. Leave this issue alone and then we may get some respect. Lets stick to one name and get on with our lives. We will never become a great program if you keep trying to figure out what to call ourselves. STOP THE MADNESS.

Using ULL in your sentence is quite maddening to me.

Thread Information