Thread: Lady Cajuns ready to do more damage

1. UL Softball Lady Cajuns ready to do more damage

LOUISIANA La. — There’s never a bad time to reach the Women’s College World Series.

So, when it was mentioned that many felt her Ragin’ Cajuns got to Oklahoma City a year early last season, University of Louisiana softball coach Stefni Lotief allowed herself a smile.

“Last year we had young players who stepped up in a big way,” Lotief said. “We had older, more experienced players on the team, but the young players also played big.”

The Cajuns finished 47-11 in 2003, reaching the WCWS for the first time at the school since 1996 and the first time under Lotief, UL’s first All-American in the sport as a pitcher from 1987-90.

Once there, a pair of losses placed the Cajuns No. 8 in the season’s final poll.

“They came out, believed in each other and the team chemistry was so good,” Lotief said. “They were always thinking as a team, and they developed and matured.

“There were also some things that happened that nobody can predict. You can’t predict that Danyele Gomez will break the (school) home run record (with 20) as a freshman, or that (then-sophomore) Brooke Mitchell will set the strikeout record (279 in 221 innings).

“We’ve had some awesome players in our program. You can’t predict that kind of season, but I’ll take it.”

Lotief wouldn’t mind frequent returns to the WCWS, and her squad enters the 2004 season ranked No. 9 in the nation. But there is still much to prove.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

2. Default

Lady Cajun Park be there in 2004

Attached Images Attached Images  

3. Default Carrying the load

LOUISIANA La. — Brooke Mitchell attempts to make game days just like any other day of the week, but that’s not easy to do.

“I try not to let it affect me that much in class,” said Mitchell, who like the rest of her University of Louisiana softball teammates makes a habit of success in academics.

“We need to see the trainer two hours before every game, and it’s the same routine, but the game is pretty much on my mind the whole day.”

The Lady Cajuns open the 2004 season this weekend at UL Monroe’s Mardi Gras Classic, aiming for a return to the Women’s College World Series in Oklahoma City, and junior pitcher Mitchell will once again be a pivotal figure in that quest.

Mitchell set a new single-season school record with 279 strikeouts last year, posting a 26-9 record and a 1.11 earned run average to earn All-America status and All-Sun Belt Conference recognition.

By the time the Cajuns hit the WCWS, though, Mitchell was less than 100 percent.

In NCAA Regional action, she blanked San Diego State 6-0, No. 6 Cal State Fullerton 1-0 and No. 13 Oklahoma State 1-0. But against No. 18 Oregon on championship Sunday, Mitchell injured her right bicep and the pain forced her exit from a 9-2 defeat.

Typically, the determined Mitchell came back for the deciding game against Oregon and got a 6-4 victory that sent the Cajuns flying to Oklahoma City.

“It was an inflamed bicep,” Mitchell said. “I don’t really know how it happened.”

Although the Cajuns reached the WCWS, they lost a 3-2 decision to No. 3 Texas and fell by 5-1 to No. 2 UCLA as Mitchell could not repeat her season-long dominance.

“My timing got off,” Mitchell said. “It was the first time I’d ever been hurt, and I was not used to pain in my arm.”

Just as painful was sitting in the dugout at Fullerton as the Cajuns fell to Oregon, with the goal one victory away.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

Thread Information