The sign at Lagneaux's makes a big sales pitch: "All you can eat Seafood." The man who opened the business back in the 60s was known as the King of Seafood and the buffet restaurant and marketplace has been a family owned business ever since.
People are still coming to fill up their plates with gulf seafood, and the gulf shrimp they crave is still available, but according to the owner many are asking health questions before.

"If it wouldn't be safe, we wouldn't be serving it."
Still safe, but a bit more costly. In the store and in the dinning room, gulf shrimp and crab is a few more dollars than it used to be pre the BP spill

"We used to sell a pound of peel and eat shrimp for like 4.99 a pound we've raised it to 5.60, we're still not meeting the cost to get it but we're keeping the people happy."
As the crisis continues with no end is sight, some business are having to get their shrimp from the freezer instead the gulf.
"We're limited in size and in the quanity we can get."
At the L and M seafood shack, ask for a shrimp po-boy and Missy Champagne will have to defrost the shrimp first. You're better off ordering a burger or a barbeque pork sandwich, after 4 years in business Missy can't specialize in louisiana seafood anymore.

"I don't see a future in it. I've had to go to other means, I do plate lunches and I work at several job sites now to stay afloat."

Permalink | Comments