Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9

Thread: The Book: Lady Cajuns 2004-05 Basketball Season

WOOHOO! Go girls go! Is it just me, or does it seem like there are far too many teams in the Belt that have red, white, and black for their colors?

Originally posted by lxa656
    WOOHOO! Go girls go! Is it just me, or does it seem like there are far too many teams in the Belt that have red, white, and black for their colors?
    I don't know. My radio link is in black and white :<))

3. UL Basketball Defense plays key role in Lady Cajuns victory over ASU

DENTON, Texas - The last time Louisiana's Lady Cajuns faced the Arkansas State Indians, it took an Ashley Blanche jump shot at the end to produce a 66-64 UL victory at Earl K. Long Gym.

ASU's Ali Carter was nearly unstoppable in that contest, hitting 6-of-8 3-pointers and scoring 27 points.

When the two met in Monday's Sun Belt Conference Tournament semifinals, Carter made just 1-of-7 shots including 1-of-5 beyond the arc, and it's no surprise that the Cajuns didn't need a last-second shot to nail it down this time.

Instead, Louisiana controlled the action and posted a 61-49 victory.

"Ali Carter was my primary defensive responsibility," said UL senior Bernette Tolston. "She had a good game at our place, and I didn't want her to get her 3-point shot.

"It was not really a matter of denying her the ball. I wanted to contest her shot and make sure she didn't get a good look at it."

Carter was a non-factor, as was point guard Rudy Sims, who missed all five of her treys and settled for 8 points and 6 assists.

The only one of ASU's "Big Three" to survive the Cajuns' furious defense was center Adrianne Davie, who had 16 points and 9 rebounds. But she wasn't enough to stem the tide.

"Defensively, we took them out of their rhythm," UL coach J. Kelley Hall said. "To hold them to 49 points and 30 percent (20-of-65) shooting was big.

"We knew we wanted to stop their transition, especially Sims and Carter."

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9

Thread Information