Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: The Book: Lady Cajuns 2004-05 Basketball Season

1. Default From the opponents vantage point

LAS CRUCES -- The New Mexico State women's basketball team struggled to find consistency as it fell to a hot-shooting Louisiana-Lafayette team 72-57 on Saturday at the Pan American Center.

Freshman Monique Bri- biescas led the Aggies with 16 points, adding two assists and two steals. Trecha Kennedy added 12 points, while Sherell Neal dropped in 10 points and grabbed seven rebounds.

The Aggies shot 33 percent from the field and 23 percent from behind the 3-point arc. The Ragin' Cajuns shot 50 percent from the floor and 40 percent from the 3-point line while out rebounding the Aggies 43-34.

The Aggies came out hot in the second half, shooting 80 percent from the field, but the Cajun defense limited the Aggies to only five shots in the first four minutes and led 42-37.

The Cajuns grabbed their largest lead of the game at 61-47 with 6:41 to play as the Aggies continued to struggle, scoring only three points in a nearly five- minute span.

The rest of the story

2. UL Basketball Lady Cajuns close in on historic achievement

There's a difference between getting angry and losing your cool.

Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns dropped a big Sun Belt Conference Western Division showdown at North Texas last Thursday, falling 61-51 when a victory would have wrapped up the division title.

They fumed about it, then got back on track with Saturday's 72-57 triumph at New Mexico State in Las Cruces, something no UL team had ever achieved.

"I told them to look at this realistically," coach J. Kelley Hall said. "They were all mad because we lost at North Texas, but I told them if we won at New Mexico State we still would have wins in four of our last five games.

"Sometimes it's not bad to get mad."

Hall and his staff also tried to loosen things up on the day in between games.

"We did some different things on Friday," Hall said. "We had some shooting drills to end our practice to keep things fun.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

3. UL Basketball Bernette Tolston's seen it all

From 1-14 as freshman to potential title year. Tolston's seen it all

When Bernette Tolston was a freshman, Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns endured a 1-14 campaign in Sun Belt Conference women's basketball.

When the Cajuns tip off against Arkansas-Little Rock at 7 p.m. today at Earl K. Long Gym, they can clinch a tie for the Sun Belt's Western Division title.

It's been quite a ride in between those two campaigns.

"It's been a roller coaster, but a good roller coaster for me," said Tolston, one of three seniors on the 18-8, 8-5 Cajuns of coach J. Kelley Hall. "It's turning out pretty good. I have to say it was worth it."

The Cajuns finished 7-21 in 2001-2002, the last campaign for coach Gay Nix and Tolston's first after a stellar career at Lake Charles-Boston High School.

Hall took over the next year and UL improved slightly to 8-19, 4-11. Then last season the Cajuns were 13-15, 7-8, and were 13-11 before running out of gas late in the year.

Now they're enjoying the first winning season at the school in 17 years and are shooting for that West crown.

"The only thing I can say is that it's a miracle," Tolston said. "After my freshman year, to be in first place my senior year is just unbelievable.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

4. UL Basketball Lady Cajuns could win West tonight

J. Kelley Hall knew his Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns would be improved this season, but they have taken things a step further.

Hall's Cajuns (18-8, 8-5) are flirting with the Sun Belt Conference Western Division title in women's basketball, and can clinch a tie for the division by beating Arkansas-Little Rock at 7 p.m. today in Earl K. Long Gym.

"Looking at it realistically, I figured we should at least finish second (in the West)," Hall said. "We had some success last year and I knew we were improved.

"Then, I did not anticipate that South Alabama would have all the injuries they've had."

The Cajuns are a game ahead of North Texas (12-13, 7-6), which visits South Alabama (12-13, 6-7) tonight needing a win and slippage by UL.

If Louisiana beats UALR and USA beats UNT, the West race is over.

"If we can win the division, it's huge," Hall said. "It is a big thing. Our kids have a chance to go from last place to a championship. They've all be trying hard. I want them to experience that."

Louisiana is a perfect 11-0 at home this year, with eight of those coming at Long Gym, and the Cajuns are brimming with confidence as they finish against UALR and Arkansas State on Saturday.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

5. Default

PATTERSON - If the Teurlings Catholic Lady Rebels are going to advance to the Sweet 16 for the second consecutive year, they'll have to do so without 3-time all-state selection and Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns signee Blair Brodhead, who suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in her left knee.

The rest of the story

UL Basketball Lady Cajuns 59, UALR 47

Lady Cajuns clinch at least a tie for the western division title.

Great job, ladies! We are proud of you! Keep it up and go dancing!!!

UL Basketball

I was there and it my friends was a packed house, that was LOUD!!!! I got there a few minutes into the game and had to sit yes on the courtside row if you will. You could see Anna's facial expressions as she battled inside and was great. Her pressence will be missed, but there is still more work to be done. Ashley is intense and quick as lightening, Washington is a workhorse with a great smile. This group of young ladies are very special, and I am just glad I could say I was there when they cut the nets down!!

DaddyCajun!!!!

9. UL Basketball Lady Cajuns win West

Cajun women win West. Hall, players enjoy remarkable turnaround in program

Hell has officially frozen over.

Pigs flew Thursday night.

Common wisdom was that both of those would happen before the University of Louisiana's women's basketball team won a conference title.

Not that program . one that hadn't had a winning season in 18 years, and one that for over a decade was a running joke in the Sun Belt Conference.

"Honestly, no one ever thought this was going to happen," said Ragin' Cajun senior forward Bernette Tolston. "It was only a dream."

The ghosts of disappointed players past, those floating around the rafters of Long Gym, had never seen anything like it Thursday night . a packed gym, frenzied fans looking to shake 34 years of frustration and watch their team win a share of the Sun Belt West Division.

Their Cajuns didn't disappoint.

Thanks to Melissa Bratton's career-high 22 points and balanced scoring from the rest of the squad - not to mention a stellar defensive effort - the host Cajuns made history Thursday night with a 59-47 victory over Arkansas-Little Rock.

The win improved the Cajuns to 19-8 overall and, more importantly, to 9-5 in the Sun Belt. UL holds a one-game lead over North Texas (8-6) with only one game to go, and can finish no worse than tied with UNT for the West title even with a loss Saturday in their regular-season finale against Arkansas State.

The Cajuns could have won the crown outright on Thursday, but UNT rallied for a 59-56 win over a South Alabama team that had led that contest virtually the entire game.

Did that result take some of the luster off Thursday's post-game celebration?

After what the Cajun women's program has been through since 1971, not on your life.

"The first thing someone asked me when I took this job was what the hell I was thinking," said Cajun coach J. Kelley Hall. Pointing to his team's mid-court celebration, he added, "this is what I was thinking about."

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

This was probably tied for the most exciting UL game I've ever been to. FIRST TIME IN UL HISTORY WE WIN THE CONFERENCE! Awesome, simply awesome. I'm havin the article from today's paper permanently preserved on a laminated plak. Too good to not have hangin on my wall. Geaux UL Lady Cajuns Basketball! Good Luck in the Sun Belt tourney!

God Bless.

11. Default Lady Cajuns can nail down 20-win campaign

Yes, the Ragin' Cajun women's basketball team did the traditional cutting of the net Thursday night, celebrating its share of the Sun Belt Conference's West Division title.

Coach J. Kelley Hall did his part, snipping the final string and letting his University of Louisiana players enjoy the moment.

On Friday, he reminded those same players that their job isn't nearly over.

"We made them aware of that today," Hall said. "I wanted to let them enjoy Thursday night, but there's still a lot on the line."

The Cajuns still have much they can accomplish tonight when they welcome a red-hot Arkansas State squad at 7 p.m. at Long Gym for the final regular-season game for both teams.

UL (19-8, 9-5) can lock down a 20-win season, something the Cajuns haven't done since the 1983-84 campaign, and can wrap up a perfect season at home with a current 12-0 mark at Long Gym and the Cajundome this season. In all, UL has won 14 straight home games dating back to last year.

But, more importantly, a win tonight would give the Cajun squad the undisputed West title and the number one seed from the West for the Sun Belt Tournament which begins Thursday in Denton, Texas.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

12. UL Basketball Hall, Lee look to tourney time

Tuesday's weekly press conference for Louisiana's Ragin' Cajun basketball programs was a study in contrast.

Women's coach J. Kelley Hall was basking in the school's first Sun Belt Conference Western Division title and first 20-win season since 1983-84, both achieved with last Saturday's 64-63 victory over Arkansas State at Earl K. Long Gym.

A West tie was clinched with a Thursday win over Arkansas-Little Rock, and the Saturday triumph made it an outright title and No. 1 seeding for the March 4-8 Sun Belt Tournament in Denton, Texas.

Robert Lee's Cajun men are the defending Sun Belt champions, but they enter the tournament on the heels of a pair of road losses at Arkansas State and UALR that dropped UL to the No. 2 seed in the West.

"I think we did as good as we can do as far as the seeding for the tournament," said Hall, whose Cajuns open at 11 a.m. on Saturday against the winner of Friday's Florida International-New Mexico State game.

"And, by winning, we put North Texas, Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee on the other side of the bracket. We did all we could do with things we could control and things we could take care of.

"To be honest, I think we can win this thing."

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

UL Basketball All-Sun Belt teams announced

NEW ORLEANS – After leading their respective squads to the best record in the league, a pair of juniors have been named Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year for men’s and women’s basketball.

Denver center Yemi Nicholson and Western Kentucky guard Tiffany Porter-Talbert won the league’s top honors on Wednesday, as the All-Sun Belt Conference teams were announced.

The teams were voted on by Sun Belt school head coaches as well as a selected media panel, and will be presented this weekend at the 2005 Aéropostale Sun Belt Conference Men’s and Women’s Basketball Championships in Denton, Texas.

On the men’s side, four of the five first-team selections were juniors. Other juniors joining Nicholson on the first team include Florida International forward Ivan Almonte, Louisiana guard Tiras Wade and Western Kentucky guard Anthony Winchester. Sophomore New Orleans guard Bo McCalebb, who was the league Preseason Player of the Year, was also on the first team.

Other individuals winning specialty awards include Denver head coach Terry Carroll, who was named Coach of the Year, Louisiana guard Orien Greene (Defensive Player of the Year), Wade (Newcomer of the Year) and Western Kentucky guard Courtney Lee (Freshman of the Year).

On the women’s side, Arkansas State’s Brian Boyer and Louisiana’s Kelley Hall were Co-Coaches of the Year. Middle Tennessee senior Patrice Holmes was selected Defensive Player of the Year, while Western Kentucky forward Crystal Kelly (Freshman of the Year and South Alabama guard JoAnna Williams (Newcomer of the Year) round out the awards.

First team All-Sun Belt members include Porter-Talbert; Holmes; Kelly; Arkansas-Little Rock’s Jocelyn Love; Arkansas State’s Ali Carter; Adrianne Davie and Rudi Sims; Florida International’s Milena Tomova; Louisiana’s Anna Petrakova and Western Kentucky’s Leslie Logsdon.

Porter-Talbert has had a brilliant year for the Lady Toppers. Leading the squad to its third straight Sun Belt East Division title, Porter-Talbert is third in the league in scoring (18 points per game), second in steals (2.4), seventh in rebounding (7.1), and 12th in assists (2.7).

Nicholson, meanwhile, is one of the most improved players in the country. The 6-10 post player, who averaged 7.5 points per game and 4.3 rebounds per game as a sophomore, is putting up 18.7 points (third in the league), 8.7 boards (second) and is the only player in the league averaging more than three blocks per contest.

In Sun Belt-only games, Nicholson averaged 21.2 points and 9.7 rebounds and 4 blocks per contest.

He helped lead the Pioneers, who were picked to finish last in the West Division according to a preseason coaches poll, to their first ever Sun Belt West Division title.

ALL-SUN BELT CONFERENCE MEN’S BASKETBALL TEAM
    FIRST TEAM Pos. Hgt. Class School

Ivan Almonte F 6-6 Jr. Florida International

Bo McCalebb G 6-0 So. New Orleans

Yemi Nicholson C 6-10 Jr. Denver

Tiras Wade G 6-6 Jr. Louisiana

Anthony Winchester G 6-4 Jr. Western Kentucky

SECOND TEAM

Brandon Freeman G 6-2 Sr. Arkansas-Little Rock

Orien Greene G 6-4 Sr. Louisiana

Brian Hamilton F 6-6 Sr. Louisiana

Leonard Hopkins G 6-3 Sr. North Texas

Dewarick Spencer G 6-4 Sr. Arkansas State

THIRD TEAM

Rodney Billups G 5-10 Sr. Denver

Michael Cuffee G/F 6-5 Sr. Middle Tennessee

Mike Dean G 6-3 Sr. Middle Tennessee

Mario Jointer G 6-3 Jr. South Alabama

J.J. Montgomery G 6-5 Sr. Arkansas State

Player of the Year: Nicholson, Denver

Defensive Player of the Year: Greene, Louisiana

Newcomer of the Year: Wade, Louisiana

Freshman of the Year: Courtney Lee (G/F, 6-4), Western Kentucky

Coach of the Year: Terry Carroll, Denver

ALL-SUN BELT CONFERENCE WOMEN’S BASKETBALL TEAM

FIRST TEAM Pos. Hgt. Class School

Ali Carter G 5-9 Jr. Arkansas State

Adrianne Davie C 6-3 So. Arkansas State

Patrice Holmes G 5-9 Sr. Middle Tennessee

Crystal Kelly F 6-3 Fr. Western Kentucky

Leslie Logsdon G 5-11 Sr. Western Kentucky

Jocelyn Love G/F 6-0 So. Arkansas-Little Rock

Anna Petrakova C 6-3 Sr. Louisiana

Rudy Sims G 5-7 So. Arkansas State

Tiffany-Porter Talbert G 5-7 Jr. Western Kentucky

Milena Tomova F/C 6-3 Sr. Florida International

HONORABLE MENTION

Ashley Blanche G 5-4 Jr. Louisiana

Erika Bobo G 5-8 Jr. North Texas

Genevieve Delk F/C 6-0 Sr. South Alabama

Krystle Horton F 6-2 So. Middle Tennessee

Tia Stovall F 6-1 Jr. Middle Tennessee

Player of the Year: Porter-Talbert, Western Kentucky

Defensive Player of the Year: Holmes, Middle Tennessee

Newcomer of the Year: JoAnna Williams (5-10, Jr., G), South Alabama

Freshman of the Year: Crystal Kelly, Western Kentucky

Co-Coaches of the Year: Brian Boyer, ASU; J. Kelley Hall, Louisiana

http://basketball.sunbeltsports.org/x/article/3665

14. UL Basketball Lady Cajuns Still Playing in Conference Tourney

Louisiana holds off FIU rally

DENTON, Texas - Here's to extended seasons.

Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns kept their remarkable campaign alive here Saturday with a nerve-wracking 61-60 quarterfinal victory over Florida International in the Sun Belt Conference Tournament.

The victory, the first in Sun Belt Tournament competition in UL history, sends the 21-8 Cajuns into an 11 a.m. Monday semifinal against the winner of a quarterfinal today between Arkansas State and South Alabama.

Senior Anna Petrakova converted a three-point play with a running, scoop-shot basket and a free throw with 30 seconds to play for the winning points, capping off a 24-point, 10-rebound day for the All-Sun Belt senior center.

"We did exactly what Coach told us to do on the play," Petrakova said. "We just executed it.

"When I got the ball, I knew it would be a 1-on-1. I wasn't planning on shooting it that way. It was just where the defender was.

"The ball went in, and I think it was a little bit of luck that it went in."

That was enough to withstand a tournament-record 32-point performance by FIU's Milena Tomova, but just barely.

"It was a very tough, physical game," coach J. Kelley Hall said. "It was also tough mentally on the players.

"Both teams used not too many players. Going in I felt we had a lot of rest, and I wanted to use my seniors as much as possible. They deserved the opportunity to play the most time."

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

15. Default

Petrakova awarded another chance Cajuns' star overcomes foul trouble

DENTON, Texas - She's off the hook.

Senior center Anna Petrakova was upset with herself at halftime of Saturday's quarterfinal game against Florida International in the Sun Belt Conference Tournament.

She had picked up her third foul with 2:27 remaining in the half when Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns were in control of the Panthers, and she watched in agony from the bench as FIU scored the final nine points of the half to creep within 31-24 at intermission.

Worse yet, the senior center knew she'd have to play the final 20 minutes on pins and needles.

"I felt a little restrained (in the second half)," Petrakova said. "When you have fouls to spare, you can take risks. But when you have three you have to be careful. I tried to be productive on defense without fouling."

Petrakova's foul total stayed at three while she scored 24 points and pulled down 10 rebounds. She also scored the crucial basket and free throw with 30 seconds to play as the Cajuns held on for a 61-60 victory.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information