LOUISIANA La. — If Louisiana is going to return to the Women’s College World Series in 2004, the Ragin’ Cajuns will have to do it without Jill Robertson.

The senior standout will miss the season after tearing her left anterior cruciate ligament during preseason drills last Monday.

Robertson, a former Acadiana High star who has started for the Cajuns since her freshman year, is expected to have corrective surgery this week or next and will immediately begin rehabilitation while enduring a medical redshirt year.

“This is not the way I planned it, that’s for sure,” Robertson said. “When it happened, I was in quite a bit of pain, but I didn’t want to show the team how much it hurt.

“We were running first-and-thirds. I was the baserunner on first base, and my job was to try and score the runner from third. (Catcher) Joy (Webre) threw down to shortstop, and I tried to get in a rundown.

“When I turned, my foot stayed and my knee went.”

Robertson tore her right ACL eight years ago, so she immediately knew what happened in the practice mishap. She also expects a lengthy but successful recovery.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
bbrown@theadvertiser.com