Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How Texas A&M fans feel looking back to 1996

1. UL Football How Texas A&M fans feel looking back to 1996

I found this link on an LSU board, I don't know if it is appropriate or not (there is some pretty blunt talk) but it does capture some feeling and some great stats about Louisiana's win over Texas A&M

TexAg.com Anybody remember that embarassing loss to SW Louisiana in 1996?

It is no doubt the success of Jake Delhomme that has them reliving the loss and thinking about Louisiana.

On interesting quote from Lgunabchca states:

I was at that game.
    Friends from LSU (who were open that
    weekend) came to the game with me.

They said it was EXACTLY the reason LSU
    didn't want to play in-state schools.
    "Don't play 'em" and
    "Keep'em down" is what they said.
    I have heard denials of this thought process but I guess coming from afar it holds some credibility.

I think that is why they do not want to play is in baseball anymore. We are one of the few in state teams that could beat them with some consistancy.

No matter what anyone from LSU says. We (UL) are a threat to them & they hate it.

I agree 100%

4. Default

LSU plays Tulane every year--that alone makes the "threat to LSU" angle invalid.

5. Default

But Tulane and LSU usually do not compete for the same fans.

Even if I wasn`t a UL fan, I would still have to agree with Textitan.

7. Default

Mid-week games during the season mean little to fans and recruits. Cajuns always threw their ace against LSU during the mid-week games, Tigers started the bullpen. Fans and recruits see this. Even if the Cajuns could take 2 of 3 from LSU every year in a weekend series, Alex Box would still be full!

8. Default

Originally posted by bengalcajun
    Mid-week games during the season mean little to fans and recruits. Cajuns always threw their ace against LSU during the mid-week games, Tigers started the bullpen. Fans and recruits see this. Even if the Cajuns could take 2 of 3 from LSU every year in a weekend series, Alex Box would still be full!
    Hopeful Myth! You are only partially right.

In the 2002 weekday games between UL and LSU, Smoke started Mestepey and Vargas. Vargas pitched 3 innings then he brought in Wilson LSU's Saturday starter. In the other game it was Mestepey, LSU's Friday guy.

Robichaux used his Friday starter in one weekday game and his Saturday starter in the other.

"Mid-week games during the season mean little to fans and recruits. Cajuns always threw their ace against LSU during the mid-week games, Tigers started the bullpen. Fans and recruits see this. Even if the Cajuns could take 2 of 3 from LSU every year in a weekend series, Alex Box would still be full!"

Mr. BegalCajun with all due respect, you sound like one particular TAF member in my office. LSU never threw a #1 pitcher against the Cajuns, ULL is not a rival for the Tigers, ULL would rather beat the Tigers then win a championship,blabla.bla! Fact,the Tigers did throw Mestapay in one weekday game against the Cajuns the last year we played. They wanted to win that game as much as the Cajuns.

I have several other TAF members in my office and we debated the rival question twice this week. Two of the Tiger fans and myself agreed that the Cajuns and Tigers are rivals in both baseball and softball. A rival is defined when two teams play and the emotion spills over from the field into the stands. And the fans sometimes get carried away and say things to each other they normally do not. Also, both teams do not want to be the team that gets the loss. The two TAF members that agree with me called the other one a JACKASS. And told him that this is why LSU gets bad press around the South because of jerks like him.

It is true that the Games have more importance to the Cajuns then the Tigers. We do not play in the SEC and any victory over a top ten affects our RPI. But don't tell me the Tigers don't want to win and they don't use any of their top pitchers. I've seen enough games between the two schools to tell you that is a crock of ______.

I can assure you that most of the older fans won't wear a shirt like that posted on this board.Most of those post are from younger posters, but your arrogance feeds their dislike for LSU. Many of us have been around long enough to know that all schools have a few fans that are full of it. And you are full of it!

Congrates on the win against Texas A&M.

Guru it is hard to get people like him to believe the truth instead of the propaganda. I have seen UL and LSU use week end pithers during the week night games against each other. Most of the time neither use their week end pitchers of the moment, though some may move into that spot later on during the season, or had occuppied the week end spot.

Again do not expect intelligent conversation when you are in the company of a true believer.

11. Default

If it had been a rivalry, LSU would have thrown starting pitching at ULL when the Cajuns were throwing their aces. That right there speaks volumes about Smoke and Tony's perspectives. Tony would hurt his chances at winning a weekend series to beat the Tigers. Smoke would give the ULL game away to keep his weekend rotation intact. An SEC series against Kentucky meant more than the ULL games. That my friends is not a rivalry!

12. Default

Originally posted by bengalcajun
    If it had been a rivalry, LSU would have thrown starting pitching at ULL when the Cajuns were throwing their aces. . .
    Mestepey was a starting (Friday) pitcher aka an ace.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

you can beat him over the head with it and he still wont get it. LOL!!!!

I think what really ____es them off is that those tiger teams could never beat Groh and Gabriel.ever.

They ____ed their pants when they had to face those two.

LOL!!!

Z.

"If it had been a rivalry, LSU would have thrown starting pitching at ULL when the Cajuns were throwing their aces. That right there speaks volumes about Smoke and Tony's perspectives. Tony would hurt his chances at winning a weekend series to beat the Tigers. Smoke would give the ULL game away to keep his weekend rotation intact. An SEC series against Kentucky meant more than the ULL games. That my friends is not a rivalry!"

So let's see, Your best player gets the early exit by the umps in Lafayette. And players and fans getting after each other in Baton Rouge regional in the championship games? Not a rivalry? Please, you can't admit the obvious! You have conference rivals and non conference rivals, and we are a non conference rival. Also, I've known no Tiger fan that would state that Kentucky is a rival in baseball, besides a conference foe. The Tigers #1 rival is Miss. St. Even the most casual of Tiger fans knows this to be fact.

Hey Turbine, do you have a Bozo Button? Give this guy two!

Default Re: How Texas A&M fans feel looking back to 1996

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21
    ed their pants when they had to face those two.

LOL!!!

Z.
    Ole Leroy peed on his neighbors too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information