Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Looking ahead .

Default Re: Looking ahead .

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    _ You should not get worked up about it . because the polls are more meaningless in baseball than in any major sport. They have no bearing on the NCAA selections.

Anyhow, I do not think the Cajuns are a Top 25 team. Top 40, yes. There are simply more teams that are deserving for the Top 25 at the present time.

Someone in the USA Today Poll gave us a vote. Probably a Sun Belt coach. Anyhow, that puts the Cajuns in a tie for the #43 spot.

Brian _
    That sounds about right Brian, as you have stated Top 45 team.

_ You should not get worked up about it . because the polls are more meaningless in baseball than in any major sport. They have no bearing on the NCAA selections.

Anyhow, I do not think the Cajuns are a Top 25 team. Top 40, yes. There are simply more teams that are deserving for the Top 25 at the present time.

Someone in the USA Today Poll gave us a vote. Probably a Sun Belt coach. Anyhow, that puts the Cajuns in a tie for the #43 spot.

Brian _
    I know, I know, and you're probably right, but Connecticut? I know they have 41 wins, but I looked at their schedule and it isn't very impressive. I seem to remember in 2007 when we had over 40 wins going into regional play we were only "receiving" votes. They are in everyones top 20. Hell, Stanford is barely above .500 and they are at #30 in one of the polls I saw.

Like I said, just venting. I guess our guys just need to stick it up everyone's @$$ from here on out. If I were the coaches (thank goodness I'm not) I sure would use this for locker room fodder. I would tell the team every day that no one gives us any respect.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    _ I know, I know, and you're probably right, but Connecticut? I know they have 41 wins, but I looked at their schedule and it isn't very impressive. I seem to remember in 2007 when we had over 40 wins going into regional play we were only "receiving" votes. They are in everyones top 20. Hell, Stanford is barely above .500 and they are at #30 in one of the polls I saw.

Like I said, just venting. I guess our guys just need to stick it up everyone's @$$ from here on out. If I were the coaches (thank goodness I'm not) I sure would use this for locker room fodder. I would tell the team every day that no one gives us any respect. _
    The only poll that "matters" is the final one.

4. UL Baseball Re: Looking ahead .

_ I know, I know, and you're probably right, but Connecticut? I know they have 41 wins, but I looked at their schedule and it isn't very impressive.
    No, not the best schedule overall. But they do lead the Big East . a conference that features potential national seed Louisville. There are some decent teams in the Big East this year . other than Louisville, you have Pittsburgh, Rutgers, and St. John's. The Huskies won 1/3 from Louisville (better than any win on the Cajuns' schedule), swept two from Boston College, swept three from Rutgers, and split with Pittsburgh. UCOnn is also 4-4 vs. the RPI Top 50, 8-4 vs. the RPI Top 75, and 14-4 vs. the RPI Top 100 . all considerably better than that of the Cajuns.

Hell, Stanford is barely above .500 and they are at #30 in one of the polls I saw.
    Stanford is 27-20 and they have played a brutal schedule. They have wins over Rice (three game sweep), 1/3 from UCLA, 3/4 from California, 1/3 from Oregon, three game sweep of Oregon State .etc.

Like I said, just venting. I guess our guys just need to stick it up everyone's @$$ from here on out. If I were the coaches (thank goodness I'm not) I sure would use this for locker room fodder. I would tell the team every day that no one gives us any respect. _
    Including yourself earlier in the season.

Brian

_ No, not the best schedule overall. But they do lead the Big East . a conference that features potential national seed Louisville. There are some decent teams in the Big East this year . other than Louisville, you have Pittsburgh, Rutgers, and St. John's. The Huskies won 1/3 from Louisville (better than any win on the Cajuns' schedule), swept two from Boston College, swept three from Rutgers, and split with Pittsburgh. UCOnn is also 4-4 vs. the RPI Top 50, 8-4 vs. the RPI Top 75, and 14-4 vs. the RPI Top 100 . all considerably better than that of the Cajuns.

Stanford is 27-20 and they have played a brutal schedule. They have wins over Rice (three game sweep), 1/3 from UCLA, 3/4 from California, 1/3 from Oregon, three game sweep of Oregon State .etc.

Brian _
    Thanks for helping to keep me grounded Brian. But Connecticut? Top 20?

6. UL Baseball Re: Looking ahead .

_ Thanks for helping to keep me grounded Brian. But Connecticut? Top 20? _
    They are not in my Top 20. But I have them ahead of the Cajuns.

Brian

_ No, not the best schedule overall. But they do lead the Big East . a conference that features potential national seed Louisville. There are some decent teams in the Big East this year . other than Louisville, you have Pittsburgh, Rutgers, and St. John's. The Huskies won 1/3 from Louisville (better than any win on the Cajuns' schedule), swept two from Boston College, swept three from Rutgers, and split with Pittsburgh. UCOnn is also 4-4 vs. the RPI Top 50, 8-4 vs. the RPI Top 75, and 14-4 vs. the RPI Top 100 . all considerably better than that of the Cajuns.

Brian _
    Brian you provide a lot of great insight about the Cajuns and college baseball in general, i would have loved to see pitt, B/C, UCONN play the cajuns, the fact of life is that northeast baseball teams in general are not very good. When I played we looked forward to playing schools from the northeast. I am not saying that they all suck, but how many teams from the NE have made it to Omaha in the last 20 years?

8. Default Re: Looking ahead .

_ Top of the list in what?

Brian _
    Your rankings for RPI---Is there a CUSA team ahead of us????

9. UL Baseball Re: Looking ahead .

Quote Originally Posted by cajun2bag View Post
    _ Brian you provide a lot of great insight about the Cajuns and college baseball in general, i would have loved to see pitt, B/C, UCONN play the cajuns, the fact of life is that northeast baseball teams in general are not very good. When I played we looked forward to playing schools from the northeast. I am not saying that they all suck, but how many teams from the NE have made it to Omaha in the last 20 years? _
    Thanks cajun2bag.

That was more the case 15 years ago, but the northeast is improving. You know that Louisville is good and they are not leading the Big East conference. The Big East is a solid baseball conference.

Some of the same northern schools this season .

- Rutgers swept three games from FIU this season and split two with FAU.
    - Boston College took 2/3 from Tulane, split with FIU, and lost 3/4 to FAU.
    - Pittsburgh lost a single game with FAU.

Maine was the last northeast team (but not the last northern team) to make the CWS (1986). The Black Bears made several visits in that era.

Brian

10. UL Baseball Re: Looking ahead .

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ Your rankings for RPI---Is there a CUSA team ahead of us???? _
    Yes, Rice.

Brian

_ Thanks cajun2bag.

That was more the case 15 years ago, but the northeast is improving. You know that Louisville is good and they are not leading the Big East conference. The Big East is a solid baseball conference.

Some of the same northern schools this season .

- Rutgers swept three games from FIU this season and split two with FAU.
    - Boston College took 2/3 from Tulane, split with FIU, and lost 3/4 to FAU.
    - Pittsburgh lost a single game with FAU.

Maine was the last northeast team (but not the last northern team) to make the CWS (1986). The Black Bears made several visits in that era.

Brian _
    only time will tell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information