Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead .

1. UL Baseball Looking ahead .

. because we are fans and it is fun .

SLU has now pulled into a tie with Texas State for the SLC regular season championship. They also own the series tiebreaker over the Bobcats. With a rank of #40 in the Adjusted RPI, SLU is now looking good for a #3 seed at-large bid (should they need it and should they continue to play well).

I believe this will have ramifications with respect to where the Cajuns play in postseason, should the Cajuns finish their business. The most likely scenario is that both squads would have #3 seed type resumes. If the committee feels it could justify a #2 seed for the Cajuns, you could see both teams facing each other in the opening round in Oxford. Else, SLU is likely to go the Oxford . with the Cajuns going to Austin or Fort Worth (401 miles).

LSU, UL, and SLU are the only possible #2/#3 seeds in the state of Louisiana this season. If USM makes the field, they will be a #3 seed.

Brian

Default Re: Looking ahead .

If we (LSU) don't win 3 out of our last 4 (Tulane, Miss. St for 3) then we (LSU) are not going anywhere.

3. UL Baseball Re: Looking ahead .

Quote Originally Posted by LSUalum1 View Post
    _ If we (LSU) don't win 3 out of our last 4 (Tulane, Miss. St for 3) then we (LSU) are not going anywhere. _
    That is not necessarily true. I definitely see LSU in the field winning 2/4, provided those two wins are against Mississippi State. If LSU qualifies for the SEC Tournament, they will be in the NCAA field. With the remaining schedule, LSU and Kentucky are the favorites for the final two spots as they play Mississippi State (home) and Georgia (road) respectively. Meanwhile, the other two schools competing for the final two spots will be beating up on each other next weekend (Tennessee and Alabama).

I even see a reasonable chance to make the NCAA field if LSU does not make the SEC Tournament. But it is nail-biting time if LSU does not make the SEC Tournament.

Brian

Brian,

I just have to vent. I am p'od. Maybe it's because today is Monday, but I was just looking at the latest polls, and still no love. WTF?!?!

I know you work with some of these guys, but I don't, so why in the hell aren't we at least #25 in some of them. You don't have to bother with explaining the Baseball America poll because they never give us love. The guy that does their poll is a douche.

Sorry, just had to vent.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    I just have to vent. I am p'od. Maybe it's because today is Monday, but I was just looking at the latest polls, and still no love. WHAT?!?!
    Everyone loves a signature win, which the Cajuns currently do not possess.

However, I think our red hot winning streak should trump that.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    That is not necessarily true. I definitely see LSU in the field winning 2/4, provided those two wins are against Mississippi State. If LSU qualifies for the SEC Tournament, they will be in the NCAA field. With the remaining schedule, LSU and Kentucky are the favorites for the final two spots as they play Mississippi State (home) and Georgia (road) respectively. Meanwhile, the other two schools competing for the final two spots will be beating up on each other next weekend (Tennessee and Alabama).

I even see a reasonable chance to make the NCAA field if LSU does not make the SEC Tournament. But it is nail-biting time if LSU does not make the SEC Tournament.

Brian
    How far back would you have to go to find a National Champion who didn't make the tournament the following year? I would think it would be prior to the 64 team field.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    _ Everyone loves a signature win, which the Cajuns currently do not possess.

However, I think our red hot winning streak should trump that. _
    I know. I'm just p'od. Even when we do have "signature" wins, we get no love. Although, I would say taking 2 of 3 from WKU are signature wins.

CajunZ1's Avatar CajunZ1 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

I would guess there would be few. However, I do think it's common for college teams to have a mediocre season following a highly successful one.

See 2001 Cajun baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    How far back would you have to go to find a National Champion who didn't make the tournament the following year? I would think it would be prior to the 64 team field.

igeaux.mobi

9. UL Baseball Re: Looking ahead .

_ Brian,

I just have to vent. I am p'od. Maybe it's because today is Monday, but I was just looking at the latest polls, and still no love. WHAT?!?!

I know you work with some of these guys, but I don't, so why in the hell aren't we at least #25 in some of them. You don't have to bother with explaining the Baseball America poll because they never give us love. The guy that does their poll is a douche.

Sorry, just had to vent. _
    You should not get worked up about it . because the polls are more meaningless in baseball than in any major sport. They have no bearing on the NCAA selections.

Anyhow, I do not think the Cajuns are a Top 25 team. Top 40, yes. There are simply more teams that are deserving for the Top 25 at the present time.

Someone in the USA Today Poll gave us a vote. Probably a Sun Belt coach. Anyhow, that puts the Cajuns in a tie for the #43 spot.

Brian

10. UL Baseball Re: Looking ahead .

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    _ How far back would you have to go to find a National Champion who didn't make the tournament the following year? I would think it would be prior to the 64 team field. _
    Not very far . Oregon State failed to make the field in 2008.

Brian

I know. I'm just p'od. Even when we do have "signature" wins, we get no love. Although, I would say taking 2 of 3 from WKU are signature wins.
    Wouldn't call that signiture winsthey are on the verge of not making the conference tourney

igeaux.mobi

Weren't they the "last team in" in 2007 when they won their 2nd national championship in a row?

Hey, so why can't we win the whole shooting match then?

13. Default Re: Looking ahead .

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    _ . because we are fans and it is fun .

SLU has now pulled into a tie with Texas State for the SLC regular season championship. They also own the series tiebreaker over the Bobcats. With a rank of #40 in the Adjusted RPI, SLU is now looking good for a #3 seed at-large bid (should they need it and should they continue to play well).

I believe this will have ramifications with respect to where the Cajuns play in postseason, should the Cajuns finish their business. The most likely scenario is that both squads would have #3 seed type resumes. If the committee feels it could justify a #2 seed for the Cajuns, you could see both teams facing each other in the opening round in Oxford. Else, SLU is likely to go the Oxford . with the Cajuns going to Austin or Fort Worth (401 miles).

LSU, UL, and SLU are the only possible #2/#3 seeds in the state of Louisiana this season. If USM makes the field, they will be a #3 seed.

Brian _
    I have been trying to add all the positives to our getting into CUSA----Are we really at the top of the list in schools of that conference????----Why is Tulane ranked so low????

14. UL Baseball Re: Looking ahead .

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ I have been trying to add all the positives to our getting into CUSA----Are we really at the top of the list in schools of that conference????----Why is Tulane ranked so low???? _
    Top of the list in what?

Brian

15. UL Baseball Re: Looking ahead .

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    _ Weren't they the "last team in" in 2007 when they won their 2nd national championship in a row?

Hey, so why can't we win the whole shooting match then? _
    Oregon State was one of the very last teams selected to the field in 2007.

The 2008 national champion, Fresno State, would not have made the field of 64 has they not won the WAC automatic bid.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information