Thread: Louisiana's Pride of Acadiana going to Baton Rouge

1. ooh LA La. Louisiana's Pride of Acadiana going to Baton Rouge

The University of Louisiana Band has been asked to play at governor-elect Blanco's inauguration on January 12th in Baton Rouge.

LSU's band director offered the Tiger Band to play. However, the committee decided to ask UL Lafayette's band to perform. GO RAGIN CAJUNS!

Thats great and all, but Blanco is kissing LSU's _____ right now, so I don't want our band there when she makes some comments about the "____hip."

ooh LA La.

I really hope we are playing for Blanco, may not like her but I think it is good for the University of Louisiana. I hope I get a letter soon because I have not received one that the Pride of Acadiana is going to Baton Rouge.

If you're in band, you should be getting a phone call. If you haven't, call BT's office.

6. Default

It suddenly feels like the Pride of Acadiana will be marching across the Achafalaya Basin.

Ragin' Cajuns

WOW!!! HOW HUGE IS THIS!?? I'm just glad that KBB is remembering where she came from. Way to GEAUX PRIDE!!! I'm hoping this will help BT even more with recruiting for next season!!!

8. Default University of Louisiana, helps add swing to events

LOUISIANA La. — The University of Louisiana, Pride of Acadiana, marching band will ask for a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T for the state’s first female governor today for Kathleen Blanco’s inauguration ceremony at the Capitol.

Blanco invited the band along with Grambling University’s band to perform for the ceremony. Blanco’s husband, Raymond, is UL Lafayette’s vice president of student affairs.

Today is the first day of UL Lafayette’s spring semester, but the opportunity to play for the event is worth missing classes, said Kim Benoit, a senior speech pathology major from Lafayette.

“I’m excited,” Benoit, a piccolo player, said. “I’m proud to be there to see history made in the state.”

Blanco requested “Jambalaya” and “You Are My Sunshine,” from UL Lafayette’s band, said Brian Taylor, the Pride of Acadiana marching band director.

It was difficult to get the band together after the break, Taylor said. The band plays during the fall semester.

On Sunday, 175 out of the 210 members practiced together for the first time since their last performance in November.

As the band sat together on the stage in Angelle Hall’s auditorium, Taylor joked, “Welcome to the spring semester of marching band.”

The comment was met with a smattering of laughter. The drummers stood in the back of the stage. The tuba players lined both sides.

The bands will play for about 30 minutes before the ceremony, taking turns entertaining the waiting and growing crowd on the capitol’s steps. After the inauguration, the band will line the blue carpet Blanco will walk on the way to her inaugural picnic lunch.

The source of the story

Marsha Sills
    msills@theadvertiser.com

raginpagin.com photo

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information