Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can you guess why the Cajuns' RPI increased?

1. UL Baseball Can you guess why the Cajuns' RPI increased?

Can anyone guess why the Cajuns' RPI went from .5719 (Monday) and .5717 (Tuesday) to .5737 after our win over Southern (#246) . while it went down each time we won against UNO (#210)?

I ran the full calculation last night and arrived at something that surprised me a little. But my calculation completely matched the Kislanko RPI from this morning, so I have the correct algorithms.

The RPI bonuses did not change. The answer is not that our opponents did well last night and overcompensated. They did do well. But had none of our opponents played last night, the Cajun RPI still would have increased after the win over Southern (#246) . to .5727 (instead of .5737). Conversely, it would have decreased with another win over UNO (#210) . to .5706.

This is one of the quirks of the RPI. Having this knowledge can also give coaches an advantage when scheduling.

Adjusted RPI:
    https://forumeus.com/sh.96&postcount=1

Brian

Default Re: Can you guess why the Cajuns' RPI increased?

No clue, I can't do math with that many decimal places. Lol. I opperat only in whole numbers.
    igeaux.mobi

Im gonna take a shot in the dark guess and say that teams ahead of us had teams lose and so on and so forth. Another guess, because the RPI fears Chad Keefer, and the RPI knows if it doesnt move us up the RPI will catch a line drive off the forehead from Keefers bat.

4. UL Baseball Re: Can you guess why the Cajuns' RPI increased?

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    _ No clue, I can't do math with that many decimal places. Lol. I opperat only in whole numbers.
    igeaux.mobi _
    You need not be sharp at Math. No complicated calculations necessary. The hint is in the simple RPI formula itself .

C'mon . I know there are some smart folks out there.

Brian

Either

1. Our win pct went up - It did
    2. Our opponents win pct went up - Possible
    3. Our opponents opponents win pct went up - Not too sure.

Southern is 19-20, 19-18 minus our games so you added that to the second category. IDK, this stuff makes my head hurt a little.

6. Default Re: Can you guess why the Cajuns' RPI increased?

Well I don't see how it has anything to do with the teams ahead of UL that could change a .5717 (Tuesday) to a .5737 today.

I would say it has to be opponents-opponents.

7. Default Re: Can you guess why the Cajuns' RPI increased?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    _ Im gonna take a shot in the dark guess and say that teams ahead of us had teams lose and so on and so forth.
    No. Ordinal rank is not a factor.

All of the other games played out the same way in either situation. Here are the two competing scenarios .

1) Cajuns defeat Southern (which they did)
    or
    2) Cajuns defeat UNO

Even though UNO has a considerably higher RPI than Southern, the Cajuns' RPI would have fallen had Option #2 played out instead of Option #1.

In fact, the wins above do not matter. The relative result would be the same had the Cajuns lost in 1) and 2) above.

Brian

8. Default Re: Can you guess why the Cajuns' RPI increased?

With a Sun Belt team beating Auburn, it gave our conference RPI a boost?

9. UL Baseball Re: Can you guess why the Cajuns' RPI increased?

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    _ With a Sun Belt team beating Auburn, it gave our conference RPI a boost? _
    No . remember I factored all of that out of the equation. Assume that no Cajun opponents played last night or opponents of those opponents. Simply .

Cajuns vs. Southern or
    Cajuns vs. UNO

Brian

10. Default Re: Can you guess why the Cajuns' RPI increased?

Guess: The Southern game added some good unique teams to UL's opponent opponents list?

Q: If UL had lost would a boost still be in order?

11. Default Re: Can you guess why the Cajuns' RPI increased?

Does it have anything to do with Southern being an HBC?

12. UL Baseball Re: Can you guess why the Cajuns' RPI increased?

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    _ Either

1. Our win pct went up - It did
    2. Our opponents win pct went up - Possible
    3. Our opponents opponents win pct went up - Not too sure.

Southern is 19-20, 19-18 minus our games so you added that to the second category. IDK, this stuff makes my head hurt a little. _
    #1 Our winning percentage goes up in either case (win vs. UNO or win vs. Southern)

#2 I factored out all games played by our opponents

#3 I factored out all games played by our opponents' opponents

In this scenario, there was one game . Cajuns vs. UNO or Cajuns vs. Southern. The RPI was higher when the Cajuns played Southern. Why?

It is good to make your head hurt a little.

Brian

Could it have something to do with the fact that Southern does not play as many SBC teams as compared to UNO (who plays every SBC team)? Therefore our OOWP is not greatly affected every time we play Southern as compared to when we play UNO.

The less "connected" an opponent is to your OOWP, the less affect it has on your RPI?

14. UL Baseball Re: Can you guess why the Cajuns' RPI increased?

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    _ Does it have anything to do with Southern being an HBC? _
    An HBC?

Brian

15. UL Baseball Re: Can you guess why the Cajuns' RPI increased?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ Well I don't see how it has anything to do with the teams ahead of UL that could change a .5717 (Tuesday) to a .5737 today.

I would say it has to be opponents-opponents. _
    No, I factored that out of the equation . as I did with Cajun opponents. Assume that the only game that took place last night was Cajuns vs. Southern or Cajuns vs. UNO.

Brian

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information