Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Brad Boyd

Default Re: Brad Boyd a Coach

Good luck Brad!!!!!!!!1

2. UL Basketball Brad Boyd and a story behind Glory Road

I was recently discussing the hot new sports movie Glory Road with former Louisiana Ragin' Cajun and St. Martinville Senior High standout Tyrone Jones when something occurred to me.

It brought to my mind a conversation I had two years ago with the head of AAU boys basketball in Louisiana, Roch Weilbaecher. Weilbaecher told me back then that he was working on a movie, so I asked him if the now-popular Glory Road was that movie, and it was.

Many Acadiana area residents, including former Cajun guard Brad Boyd, played small roles in the movie, but Weilbaecher was a behind-the-scenes consultant for the film. His job was to make sure that the directors and actors ran the same plays that Texas Western and Kentucky coaches and players ran back in 1966.

Weilbaecher is an athletic director and assistant boys basketball coach at Karr High in New Orleans, in addition to his duties as the state's head of AAU basketball.

Miami Heat coach Pat Riley, who played on that Kentucky team, visited the set and told Weilbaecher that he was impressed with the way the actors were running the plays from that game.

The rest of the story

Dave Thibodeaux
    sports@theadvertiser.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information