LOUISIANA La. — Desi Chatman was sold on staying close to home. Chatman, the Comeaux High star who has been a dominant force in field events in her high school career, plans to sign with Louisiana’s track and field program today at the CHS library.

“I pretty much knew I wanted to stay close to home,” Chatman said. “I had the option to go elsewhere, but I wanted to stay close.” Chatman was recruited by in-state schools, earning attention with her performances in the shot put, discus and javelin for the Lady Spartans.

This season, Chatman is the Acadiana area leader in the discus with a best throw of 125-1 1/2. She is also tied for third in the javelin with a 130-10 heave and fourth in the shot put with (38-3).

Last year at the LHSAA State Meet at LSU’s Bernie Moore Stadium, Chatman won the discus with a throw of 123-11 and placed seventh in the shot put.

“I like the discus best,” Chatman said, “then the javelin and then the shot put.

“I’ve had my ups and downs this season, but heading into the district (3-5A) meet I feel I’m back to where I should be. I’m peaking at the right time.

“At the beginning of the season, I started off really well. But then we’ve had some bad weather. Now it’s good, the sun is shining and I’m doing better.”

Chatman still has her sights set on goals — 150 feet in the discus, 145 in the javelin and 45 in the shot put — lofty figures with little time left in the season.

“I still believe I can hit them,” she said. “I’ve been working on little things, instead of one big whole thing. Like in the shot put, I’m breaking down each step.”

The chance to claim titles in all three events at the April 25 District 3-5A meet at Lafayette High is another thing spurring Chatman’s campaign. While Chatman is signing to compete in track and field for coach Lance Veazey’s Cajuns, she also hopes to play softball for the nationally-ranked Lady Cajuns of Stefni Lotief during her college years.

“It’s hard for me to give up track altogether,” she said. “I plan to compete in both in college.”

That’s another reason Chatman chose to stay close to home.

Story deleted from Advertiser archives

Bruce Brown
bbrown@theadvertiser.com