Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coach (1986-98) Nelson Stokley

1. Default Louisiana Sports: LSU, Nelson Stokley, Monty Williams . - Bayou Buzz

Stokley coached the Ragin ' Cajuns' football team for 13 seasons from 1986-98 and ranks second on the school's all-time coaching victories list. He served as athletic director from 1988-1992. Stokley coached former Cajuns standouts Brian Mitchell .

Default Re: Nelson Stokely

I believe they are having a family only gathering

igeaux.mobi

3. Default Re: Nelson Stokely

I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO HAVE AN AREA FOR FORMER COACHES ---HOG AND BEFORE, RUSS. AUGIE, SAM, STOKE, AND BUSTLE---YES THERE IS ONE MISSING---WHAT A SHAME WHAT A DISGRACE THE NON-MENTIONED IS TO OUR SCHOOL!!!! OOOPPS-FORGOT SONNY FOR A GAME!!! MAYBE MISSED ANOTHER THEN THE UNMENTIONED!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO HAVE AN AREA FOR FORMER COACHES ---HOG AND BEFORE, RUSS. AUGIE, SAM, STOKE, AND BUSTLE---YES THERE IS ONE MISSING---WHAT A SHAME WHAT A DISGRACE THE NON-MENTIONED IS TO OUR SCHOOL!!!! OOOPPS-FORGOT SONNY FOR A GAME!!! MAYBE MISSED ANOTHER THEN THE UNMENTIONED!!!!!! _
    Bustle is not a former coach.

5. Default Crowley - Services pending for Nelson Stokley

Services are pending for former LSU quarterback and ULL coach and Crowley High legend Nelson Stokley.
    read more

The rest of the story

Crowley Post-Signal

6. Default Former La.-Lafayette coach Stokley dies - ESPN.com

Stokley, a native of Kennedy, Texas, led the Ragin' Cajuns for 13 seasons -- from 1986-98 -- and ranks second on the school's all-time coaching victories list. He also served as athletic director from 1988 until 1992. Among the players he guided to .

7. Default Louisiana-Lafayette ex-coach Nelson Stokley dies - Newsday

(AP) — Louisiana-Lafayette's former football coach and athletic director Nelson Stokley has died from complications brought on by Alzheimer's disease. University officials confirmed that Stokley died Saturday at the age of 66. Stokley, a native of .

Coach Stokley's Arrangements:

Visitation: Monday 3-9pm Martin & Castille Funeral Home southside location next to STM

Visitation: Tuesday 8-9:15am

Memorial Service: Tuesday 10am St. John Cathedral

Burial Woodlawn Cemetery Crowley

Open to the public, Coach would have loved to see all of his fans.

9. Default Re: Nelson Stokely

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard1280 View Post
    _ Bustle is not a former coach. _
    Should I even reply?????

Just saw a scroll across the bottom of ESPN noting Coach Stokley's passing. Caught the last part mentioning he had coached Mitchell and obviously Brandon. I think it significant and a big tribute that they noted his passing.

Got me to thinking about our days in the Big West conference. We dominated those guys for three years. To the point they voted us out of the conference without the dignity of a phone call to let us know.

Opposing schools can run their mouths and they refuse to play us because they are afraid. Just doesn't look good to the fans and alumni to be beaten by us. We are different. People like Coach Stokley and other coaches, athletes, and fans have fought, coached, played and supported beyond expectations to make us the "little" school to fear.

Here is hoping that all those that follow can take a part of what he stood for and make it even better.

Quote Originally Posted by rgamers View Post
    _ Coach Stokley's Arrangements:

Visitation: Monday 3-9pm Martin & Castille Funeral Home southside location next to STM

Visitation: Tuesday 8-9:15am

Memorial Service: Tuesday 10am St. John Cathedral

Burial Woodlawn Cemetery Crowley

Open to the public, Coach would have loved to see all of his fans. _
    good deal, thanks for update

LAFAYETTE - A Celebration of Life will be held in the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist in Lafayette, at 10 a.m., on Tuesday, June 8, 2010, for Nelson Ray "Coach" Stokley, 66, who died peacefully amongst family on June 5, 2010.

Interment will follow at Woodlawn Cemetery in Crowley, La.

Reverend Monsignor Keith J. DeRouen, Rector of Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist in Lafayette, will conduct the service. Lectors will be Katherine Kirsch and Colleen Ottinger. Eulogist will be Preston Guidry.

Coach's obituary

R.I.P. Coach.

Nelson still is the best football coach this university has ever seen.

This man got us over the hump, then was knocked back down by his own administration.

Something at this university should be named after him.

I'm thinking STOKELY FIELD, and if we get corporate sponsorship at some later date we could reference it like this:

Welcome to Tabacso Stadium, home of Stokeley Field

USL (1960-1983)  (1985-1998) Re: Nelson Stokely

Condolences to Coach Stokely's family. Thanks, Coach for the GREAT memories!!

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    R.I.P. Coach.

Nelson still is the best football coach this university has ever seen.

This man got us over the hump, then was knocked back down by his own administration.

Something at this university should be named after him.

I'm thinking STOKELY FIELD, and if we get corporate sponsorship at some later date we could reference it like this:

Welcome to Tabacso Stadium, home of Stokeley Field
    Well I do think it is time to think marketing and quit naming buildings after donors and fans and go back/start naming venues after well known players and coaches.

jmo

igeaux.mobi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information