Thread: I am so upset with Jessie Evans

UL Basketball I am so upset with Jessie Evans

He has failed to make sure his problem athletes are attending clases. The school should not stand for this, something must change.

Im not saying that he is not to blame, but you have to consider that he is working with ex-thugs (for lack of a better word). He has taken the kids that no one else wanted to bother with and the fact that a few of those players are still in school is a big acomplishment for Jessie. It is his job to make sure these players are eligible but he's got it tougher than pretty much anyone in the country.

sorry, he is to blame, if you are going to "ex-tugs," you first all (in my opinion)must lay down rules that they must follow.i don't mind getting kids like that, but you cannot let them go around doing what every they want. the lack of discipline is his biggest problemand that's too bad.

I agree he needs to do a better job, like I said in my post he does deserve some of the blame. I just think it is downright stupid to call for the man's head.

5. Default

I don't think is solely the coaches’ responsibility, but he sure is getting the brunt o the critisism. On the CLASS ATTENDANCE POLICY Page all I see is where the coach can provide an excuse, but nowhere do I find it his responsibility.

This is not a new problem, only the latest rendition. Back in September of 1992 President Authement instituted a policy known as the "Student Responsibility Program." Basically it required Professors to report to the Athletic Department if an Athlete was not attending classes. Straight up, if they were missing class without the proper excuse, (like what is on the attendance link above) they could not play. It was designed to nip problems in the bud. It was designed to kick you off the team albeit for a single game long before eligibility became an issue.

It required professor participation, I don't know what happened to the program, but it fell to the wayside. I know it was implemented because Louisiana's leading receiver for 1990, 1991, and 1992 had to sit out a crucial game in 1992 due to missing class and the new policy.

The guy who had to miss a game for skipping class was Wayde Butler, the same guy Fred Stamps passed on Saturday for #2 on the all-time reception list. At the time Wayde Butler was UL’s all-time reception and yardage leader.

Would Wayde Butler have caught nine passes in this game, the final game of his UL career? Who knows, but I think it was a good policy that somehow fell by the wayside. Here is par of an article that partially delved in to the issue. The main thrust was Stokley giving up the AD reigns.

Daily Advertiser
    December 3, 1992
    Authemment keeping his fingers crossed over move

”We instituted new programs in September,” Authement said. “We have a full-time counselor, and we redid the dormitory.

And, he added, “we have the Student Responsibility Program that forced Wayde Butler –a great kid- to sit out a game when he didn’t attend classes.
    . . .
    When Butler, the schools all-time pass receiving leader, missed his final game Nov. 21 1992 at Cajun Field it sent a message.

“The rules will have an impact,” said Authement. “It will take a year or two for it to set in with the athletes that we are serious, but I believe it will work.”

You also have to remember he has not had all failures, think of a kid like AJ, that was a problem child and look at what type of kid he turned out to be.

Not only did he finish his career with UL, but did it with class and style

UL Basketball

Its pretty pathetic when athletes can not make the grades. A few years ago when I was in college, I was ecstatic when I would walk into class of the 1st day and see a bunch of athletes in my class. I then knew that I was in an easy class. Either the class was generally easy or the teacher was easy. There is no excuse for athletes not to make the grade. Many people bend over backwards to give them help. Teachers, other students, tutors, etc.

There is just no excuse !!!

The "buck" has to stop somewhere. Jessie's got to be holding it and needs to do a better job, plain and simple!!

This is Upsetting

Jesse is the head coach. The head coach is ultimately responsible. We were just embarrassed on national TV because he has no clue how to run a program.

Do you think if another school had 5 players ineligible they would be citing the class attendance policy? It's his program and he runs it like a clown. Jesse MUST go.

Thread Information