Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How to Increase Attendance?

Default Re: How to Increase Attendance?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    The HUD era was during the birth of espn+. Like Amazon, some people said they would never shop online. Now everyone has an Amazon account, smart phone, and espn+(if you watch football) I promise you it’s the biggest reason crowds aren’t there. Mom and dad can spend north of $100 to take the kids to the game or stay home and watch it with his espn+ account that is practically free when bundled with his Disney+ account. No packing cars, waiting in lines, parking….. only the fans that feel like being there helps the team win and feel obligated to do so will make all the games in this day and age.

I’ll ride that dead horse into the sunset now.

Geaux Cajuns !!!!!
    I don't agree with this. LSU fans can watch it on television on ABC; they don't even have to have ESPN+. People want to do things—just look at Lafayette on a Friday or Saturday night, or LSU on a Saturday. The problem is, a football game isn't enough. I hate to use a generational term, but I will. This isn't the Baby Boom generation where a football game is enough. People want to go for other things. What proves that are the festivals we have that get 100k people, or look at Moncla Park on a Saturday afternoon, or a Top Golf.

Football is important, but just not as important. My experience and quality time are more important to me than a football game. I'm not saying it isn't important to the older generation, but that's the reason why I am not going, is to have that quality time with my family.

I'm not going to leave my wife and kid at home so I can go to a football game, especially when I have so few Saturdays off in a year.

Now Festival International, or Festival Acadian that is something i can go to and all my family will enjoy.

I think the generation born in the 90”s and 2000’s most will not leave there wife and kids at home to go hunting, or go to a bar, or football game to leave there wife and kids at home. That family dynamic really doesnt exist anymore in the younger generations. If i work offshore, or a job i am working on most weekends, my idea of having fun isnt spending more time away from my family when i work every friday, saturday, and sunday, and that is most people in this area do.

Thats what they need to understand.

The HUD era was during the birth of espn+. Like Amazon, some people said they would never shop online. Now everyone has an Amazon account, smart phone, and espn+(if you watch football) I promise you it’s the biggest reason crowds aren’t there. Mom and dad can spend north of $100 to take the kids to the game or stay home and watch it with his espn+ account that is practically free when bundled with his Disney+ account. No packing cars, waiting in lines, parking….. only the fans that feel like being there helps the team win and feel obligated to do so will make all the games in this day and age.

Geaux Cajuns !!!!!
    There's many people that live here (some of which are UL alumni) will drive an hour to fight traffic and tailgate all day in Baton Rouge in spite of ESPN+ because it's an event. For the Alabama game on November 9th, there will be an estimated 150-200k on campus. That means 50-100k won't even be in the stadium. Why? Because it's more than just the game. It's an event.

We need to find a way to create something similar.

Geaux Cajuns !!!!!
    Agree! This has been beat to death. This year they have done more than ever in game promotion and people didn't show up last weekend. Same story, the festival and LSU games. Win and I'm there, the rest is nothing more that give me this, free stuff and $2 Natty. Wait, they have $2 Natty. Just win and I'm there.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Agree! This has been beat to death. This year they have done more than ever in game promotion and people didn't show up last weekend. Same story, the festival and LSU games. Win and I'm there, the rest is nothing more that give me this, free stuff and $2 Natty. Wait, they have $2 Natty. Just win and I'm there.
    They can give out free stuff all day long it will not move the needle because that isnt what it is about. Hell most younger generations don’t even watch television. They want to do things that are interactive. Youtube, Tiktok, video games but that is just sitting at home, if they gonna go they need to be involved in some way.

We have to get them involved!! That is what is missing, they want to do things but it has to be community based, or family based it cant just be catered to just one group.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    They can give out free stuff all day long it will not move the needle because that isnt what it is about. Hell most younger generations don’t even watch television. They want to do things that are interactive. Youtube, Tiktok, video games but that is just sitting at home, if they gonna go they need to be involved in some way.

We have to get them involved!! That is what is missing, they want to do things but it has to be community based, or family based it cant just be catered to just one group.
    Sir, $2 Natty is not catering to my demographic. I could give a crap about cheap bear. Parking is readily available, but people want it free. And while I have no problem with a number of your suggestions, people in this area are cheap. Sorry, even the old group have similar views on cost. Why, because when this program was losing frequently people could just drive up and park anywhere except around the parking lot next to the stadium.

With your suggestions and I applaud your efforts, there is no suggestions on how to raise revenue. This program is without student fees and continually robs Petter to pay Paul from the RCAF General Fund. Sorry, but I'm willing to listen to your or anyone else's suggestions but I need to see tangle ways to raise revenue to take any of it seriously. And finding revenue streams usually doesn't began with giving things away to attract the low-end casual fan to walk into Cajun Field.

Geaux Cajuns !!!!!
    All fair points Jacob. All the more we need to create an experience worthy for the average fan to want to go to the games.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    There's many people that live here (some of which are UL alumni) will drive an hour to fight traffic and tailgate all day in Baton Rouge in spite of ESPN+ because it's an event. For the Alabama game on November 9th, there will be an estimated 150-200k on campus. That means 50-100k won't even be in the stadium. Why? Because it's more than just the game. It's an event.

We need to find a way to create something similar.
    They have tradition buddy. It's authentic and not created through discounts and coordination with festivals or downtown events. It has very little to do with other events and everything to do with bringing children to family tailgating or inviting people over to the house for viewing. That's how a culture is built.

Sir, $2 Natty is not catering to my demographic. I could give a crap about cheap bear. Parking is readily available, but people want it free. And while I have no problem with a number of your suggestions, people in this area are cheap. Sorry, even the old group have similar views on cost. Why, because when this program was losing frequently people could just drive up and park anywhere except around the parking lot next to the stadium.

With your suggestions and I applaud your efforts, there is no suggestions on how to raise revenue. This program is without student fees and continually robs Petter to pay Paul from the RCAF General Fund. Sorry, but I'm willing to listen to your or anyone else's suggestions but I need to see tangle ways to raise revenue to take any of it seriously. And finding revenue streams usually doesn't began with giving things away to attract the low-end casual fan to walk into Cajun Field.
    Everything that i posted will raise revenue. If Festival International wasnt making money it wouldn’t even exist or any other festival around here.

Where you make your money is on food, drinks, merchandise, vendors, everything you are doing outside the stadium.

Like i said i will spend 200 dollars to go out all day Saturday on food, drinks, face painting, ball toss, on a hat a t-shirt, a painting of The Quad, a UL necklace, just about anything that you would sell at a Festival you could sell outside the gates at Cajun Field on gamedays.

Festival model is the money making model. Our revenue would probably double if we did that stuff outside the stadium before game time, but it cant be no small affair it has to be a big spectacle like a festival!

9. Default Re: How to Increase Attendance?

Listen to T . . .

They have tradition buddy. It's authentic and not created through discounts and coordination with festivals or downtown events. It has very little to do with Culture and everything to do with bringing children to family tailgating or inviting people over to the house for viewing. That's how a culture is built.
    Tradition starts with grassroots efforts. We are a grassroots culture. In order to grant the wishes of what the athletic department is looking for, you first have to attract people which is access. Doubling the cost of tailgating in a competitive market like this one was not a smart move. They even tried it with baseball and had to go back to the original plan because of the backlash.

We have done more than ever this year in game promotion? Where?

I don't agree with this. LSU fans can watch it on television on ABC; they don't even have to have ESPN+. People want to do things—just look at Lafayette on a Friday or Saturday night, or LSU on a Saturday. The problem is, a football game isn't enough. I hate to use a generational term, but I will. This isn't the Baby Boom generation where a football game is enough. People want to go for other things. What proves that are the festivals we have that get 100k people, or look at Moncla Park on a Saturday afternoon, or a Top Golf.

Football is important, but just not as important. My experience and quality time are more important to me than a football game. I'm not saying it isn't important to the older generation, but that's the reason why I am not going, is to have that quality time with my family.

I'm not going to leave my wife and kid at home so I can go to a football game, especially when I have so few Saturdays off in a year.

Now Festival International, or Festival Acadian that is something i can go to and all my family will enjoy.

I think the generation born in the 90”s and 2000’s most will not leave there wife and kids at home to go hunting, or go to a bar, or football game to leave there wife and kids at home. That family dynamic really doesnt exist anymore in the younger generations. If i work offshore, or a job i am working on most weekends, my idea of having fun isnt spending more time away from my family when i work every friday, saturday, and sunday, and that is most people in this area do.

Thats what they need to understand.
    Taking a family to the movies costs about as much as going to a UL football game. People don't seem to mind doing that, but a football game is too costly. Go figure. As someone pointed out, a football game has to be more than just the game. It has to be an event that people want to participate in.

A few thousand people stayed away last Saturday because of the near death experience of 11AM football in September.

That's lost revenue. If we have to prostrate ourselves at the altar of espn, the least we can do is make sure people don't die because we ran out of freakin' water. Gameday mismanagement. This happens every year and is one of the biggest drains on Gameday revenue.

Everything that i posted will raise revenue. If Festival International wasnt making money it wouldn’t even exist or any other festival around here.

Where you make your money is on food, drinks, merchandise, vendors, everything you are doing outside the stadium.

Like i said i will spend 200 dollars to go out all day Saturday on food, drinks, face painting, ball toss, on a hat a t-shirt, a painting of The Quad, a UL necklace, just about anything that you would sell at a Festival you could sell outside the gates at Cajun Field on gamedays.

Festival model is the money making model. Our revenue would probably double if we did that stuff outside the stadium before game time, but it cant be no small affair it has to be a big spectacle like a festival!
    Sir, Festival International gets a stipend from the City of Lafayette Government to help offset cost for years. They also have volunteers' work the events; UL has no such advantage, and everything has a cost. Apples & Oranges.

I was told if there was going to be any coordination between that event and a UL athletic event, the Administration would have to add some funds because no money from local or state Tourism funds can be used to promote athletic events. But you might want to reach out Dr. Maggard for clarification if there are loopholes or other avenues.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Tradition starts with grassroots efforts. We are a grassroots culture. In order to grant the wishes of what the athletic department is looking for, you first have to attract people which is access. Doubling the cost of tailgating in a competitive market like this one was not a smart move. They even tried it with baseball and had to go back to the original plan because of the backlash.
    Agree on the tailgating fees, but why did they? You know the answer, the need for more revenue. You know they are robbing Peter to pay Paul from the General RCAF Funds. But if you think those were too high, do you think tying homecoming or any other football game to Festival International will ease the complaints on the new premium seating cost next year. LOL!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information