Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: RIP Pete Rose

Default Re: RIP Pete Rose

For you old BEV listeners Mr. Paul will get to meet Pete in person, even if he's not on the Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tyme View Post
    He belongs because of his play. He does not belong because bad choices. He could have bet on ANYTHING else but chose to bet on baseball while playing and managing.
    Pete Rose belongs because of his accomplishments on the field. He was band from professional baseball, that is punishment enough because of a commissioner with a personal ax to grind. They can put whatever they want below his name, the HOF is not full of people with great character.

3. Default Re: RIP Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Pete Rose belongs because of his accomplishments on the field. He was band from professional baseball, that is punishment enough because of a commissioner with a personal ax to grind. They can put whatever they want below his name, the HOF is not full of people with great character.
    I'm not saying he had questionable character for betting, just for betting on a sport while he played and managed that sport. He could have bet the ponies or football or cricket.

So was he a genius/pioneer in the NIL world or was it a negative that he basically started the practice of charging kids for autographs at card shows?

5. Default Re: RIP Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post
    So was he a genius/pioneer in the NIL world or was it a negative that he basically started the practice of charging kids for autographs at card shows?
    He didn't start the concept, he just got more hits doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tyme View Post
    I'm not saying he had questionable character for betting, just for betting on a sport while he played and managed that sport. He could have bet the ponies or football or cricket.
    I actually agree his character is questionable at best, but what I'm trying to say is the Hall Fame is full of former players with questionable characters. He's dead now, so he should be in it and any comment can be added to his biography that he was banned.

Man, just hit me my two favorite baseball players in my lifetime, Willie and Pete, walked into the cornfield this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    He didn't start the concept, he just got more hits doing it.
    So was it a good concept or not?

9. Default Re: RIP Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post
    So was it a good concept or not?
    "For Pete's sake" man, "He did the best with a ban situation."

It amazes me how anyone equates what Pete Rose did compared to what anyone else did.

Ever since the days of Kennesaw Mountain Landis, there has been a notice in every locker room in Major League Baseball. If you gamble on the sport, you're done. Period. Baseball is the Garden of Eden. Pete chomped on the apple.

Pete knew it. He thought he was above it. Then he lied about it for 25 years. And, while the term "lifetime ban" is used, it doesn't mean "gee he's dead, let's put him in." He is on the permanently ineligible list. And, the HOF committee that has the power to reinstate him never will. They are hardliners. And, former players.

Let's also remember that Pete Rose is the only player on the ineligible list that is there by MUTUAL AGREEMENT. He signed off on the permanent ban.

And, just this year, there was a player banned for life for betting on baseball.

If you subscribe to "The Athletic" you'll learn about Rose's meeting with Bud Selig in 2002 where Selig left the door open to reinstatement under conditions which included walking away from gambling. Right after the meeting, Rose got on a plane headed for Las Vegas.

He's the greatest hitter of all time. But he's not getting in. And, that's not because the Commissioner (Ueberroth, Giamatti, Vincent, Selig, Manfred) had a vendetta. It's because Pete did the ONE thing that he absolutely couldn't do. Adam and Eve weren't forgiven.

Pete won't be, either.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    It amazes me how anyone equates what Pete Rose did compared to what anyone else did.

Ever since the days of Kennesaw Mountain Landis, there has been a notice in every locker room in Major League Baseball. If you gamble on the sport, you're done. Period. Baseball is the Garden of Eden. Pete chomped on the apple.

Pete knew it. He thought he was above it. Then he lied about it for 25 years. And, while the term "lifetime ban" is used, it doesn't mean "gee he's dead, let's put him in." He is on the permanently ineligible list. And, the HOF committee that has the power to reinstate him never will. They are hardliners. And, former players.

Let's also remember that Pete Rose is the only player on the ineligible list that is there by MUTUAL AGREEMENT. He signed off on the permanent ban.

And, just this year, there was a player banned for life for betting on baseball.

If you subscribe to "The Athletic" you'll learn about Rose's meeting with Bud Selig in 2002 where Selig left the door open to reinstatement under conditions which included walking away from gambling. Right after the meeting, Rose got on a plane headed for Las Vegas.

He's the greatest hitter of all time. But he's not getting in. And, that's not because the Commissioner (Ueberroth, Giamatti, Vincent, Selig, Manfred) had a vendetta. It's because Pete did the ONE thing that he absolutely couldn't do. Adam and Eve weren't forgiven.

Pete won't be, either.
    Damn, this should be an op-ed in a newspaper. I disagree, but this is beautifully written.

12. Default Re: RIP Pete Rose

Great paradigm adjusting points Jay.

13. Default Re: RIP Pete Rose

everything Jay writes and steps out on a limb is usually beautifully written and in most instances on point and correct . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    Damn, this should be an op-ed in a newspaper. I disagree, but this is beautifully written.
    Lol. So it is possible to complement a post you disagree with. Many will be upset with that turn of events

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    everything Jay writes and steps out on a limb is usually beautifully written and in most instances on point and correct . . .
    Well like the ole e.f. hutton i guess if you wait months or weeks to post chances are it will be a doozy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information