Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another Gulf of Mexico storm

1. Default Re: Another Gulf of Mexico storm

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tyme View Post
    This is erroneous or at least outdated. Was there 45 mins ago, everything was fully stocked.
    Are we ragging on people trying to be prepared for a possible storm? What is that about?
    Its not the storm.

Louisiana has never had a run on toilet paper for a storm.

Other emotional protective measures were involved. Usually national news.

2. Default Re: Another Gulf of Mexico storm

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Its not the storm.

Louisiana has never had a run on toilet paper for a storm.

Other emotional protective measures were involved. Usually national news.
    You sure? Because I heard Costco was out of EVERYTHING because Perillo(shilling for Big Paper Goods, probably) said we may have a storm in the next few years. Everyone PANIC!!

Default Re: Another Gulf of Mexico storm

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tyme View Post
    This is erroneous or at least outdated. Was there 45 mins ago, everything was fully stocked.
    Are we ragging on people trying to be prepared for a possible storm? What is that about?
    No- it’s people panic buying due to the union strike at east and gulf coast ports.

People are dumb because this toilet paper is made domestically and doesn’t come through any ports

On the other hand if enough people are panic buying then it does actually become a panic

4. Default Re: Another Gulf of Mexico storm

In 2022, United States imported $3.1B in Toilet Paper, mainly from Canada ($1.37B), China ($806M), Mexico ($508M), Germany ($42.2M), and Israel ($41M).
    Approximately 8% of the total is imported. Not much but it was news to me.

I was at Costco yesterday and they had Charmin brand toilet paper only, but it appeared to be going fast! Bottled water also appeared to be very low. I was thinking possibly some of these basic supplies might have been sent toward the Carolina's and hurricane ravished areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    Indeed
    I have a bidet…don’t judge me.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    I was at Costco yesterday and they had Charmin brand toilet paper only, but it appeared to be going fast! Bottled water also appeared to be very low. I was thinking possibly some of these basic supplies might have been sent toward the Carolina's and hurricane ravished areas.
    You are thinking logically!

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post
    No- it’s people panic buying due to the union strike at east and gulf coast ports.

People are dumb because this toilet paper is made domestically and doesn’t come through any ports

On the other hand if enough people are panic buying then it does actually become a panic
    Name:  IMG_5919.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  90.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    You are thinking logically!
    Unfortunately the general public isn't

Reports of this all over the country since yesterday

https://www.fox29.com/news/port-stri.s-social-media

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    That a whole other level of damage western NC is facing. I have multiple friends that do hurricane relief work. None were sent to NC. I’m sure they’re people working there, but the enormity of the work to be done is mind boggling. And winter is coming.

I’m with you, hope these things are being sent to NC. But the barking union boss is like the weather man. Fear sells.

11. Default Re: Another Gulf of Mexico storm

The toilet paper buying is bad cher.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    That a whole other level of damage western NC is facing. I have multiple friends that do hurricane relief work. None were sent to NC. I’m sure they’re people working there, but the enormity of the work to be done is mind boggling. And winter is coming.

I’m with you, hope these things are being sent to NC. But the barking union boss is like the weather man. Fear sells.
    I did commercial construction project management for a major disaster services company until recently. It is an extremely high stress job. On one level I miss it. On another I'm glad not to be deploying to NC right now. The level of destruction from this storm will rival Katrina in its scope. The rebuilding will continue for the next decade. Word is that the two North/South Interstates will be out of service for 6 months to a year. I've heard in some areas there is no rebuilding because the land simple doesn't exist anymore. Whole mountainsides were washed away.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    I did commercial construction project management for a major disaster services company until recently. It is an extremely high stress job. On one level I miss it. On another I'm glad not to be deploying to NC right now. The level of destruction from this storm will rival Katrina in its scope. The rebuilding will continue for the next decade. Word is that the two North/South Interstates will be out of service for 6 months to a year. I've heard in some areas there is no rebuilding because the land simple doesn't exist anymore. Whole mountainsides were washed away.
    I-40 at the state line closed until SEPTEMBER 2025 I 26 at the state line closed until MARCH 2025.

14. Default Re: Another Gulf of Mexico storm

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    I-40 at the state line closed until SEPTEMBER 2025 I 26 at the state line closed until MARCH 2025.
    This is incredible.

I’m waiting for the situation to settle down a little in Appalachia and watch people come unhinge after losing their homes to a flood, and of course, had no flood insurance. Class action lawsuits for failed dams for starters. And FEMA has no money, but I’ll stop there. That’s a topic for Reddit.

It’s such a large area, there’s a ton of obstacles to overcome just infrastructure wise. And winter is coming.

But I’d be remiss without expressing compassion towards those folks, especially those who lost loved ones that may never be found.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information