Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: UNLV QB Quits on Team Takes a Self Imposed Redshirt

Default Re: UNLV QB Quits on Team Takes a Self Imposed Redshirt

Honestly, I hope this starts happening more and more.

Maybe the adults who are tossing stupid amounts of money to kids with absolutely zero loyalty (not saying it's there fault) will start to ask themselves "What the hell am I doing this for?" and this money grab game will slow down.

The facade of "student" athletes has long passed, I don't think credit hours and transcripts are going to keep a kid from going somewhere that wants him that badly.

Transfer Portal:
    1. Players only get one free transfer; all other transfers come with a mandatory sit-out year
    2. If a coach leaves or is fired, they get a transfer
    3. If a player elects to redshirt after 4 games, they are ineligible for a free transfer (must sit out)

Rein in the transfer portal first and then we can think of solutions to make NIL transparent and fair for both the Universities and players.

3. Default Re: UNLV QB Quits on Team Takes a Self Imposed Redshirt

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    The United States Supreme Court did this based upon the United States Constitution. All the NCAA can do is watch . . .
    It will be interesting to see what the SC ends up doing with no compete clause cases coming their way.

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post
    Wouldnt you still need to remain eligible every year? If not every semester. I.e. a minimum number of credits in the current term.
    I don't think that matters for grad students if they go to another university. For that matter, he could still be attending classes at UNLV. Usually entire tuition is paid up front so he could still be earning credits to a second degree and athletics has no power to stop him in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    The facade of "student" athletes has long passed, I don't think credit hours and transcripts are going to keep a kid from going somewhere that wants him that badly.

Transfer Portal:
    1. Players only get one free transfer; all other transfers come with a mandatory sit-out year
    3. If a player elects to redshirt after 4 games, they are ineligible for a free transfer (must sit out)

Rein in the transfer portal first and then we can think of solutions to make NIL transparent and fair for both the Universities and players.
    Agree with you this would help tremendously but unfortunately not sgoing to happen any time soon

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/553...d-permanently/

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post

Transfer Portal:

I didn't know "the player" can decide when to redshirt? Obviously, they can now, just didn't know that decision is totally up to the player now, not the coaching staff. Crazy!

I understand that all of his promised financial gains were delivered but after his performance so far, his family thinks he is worth more. This is so far from what college athletics should be.

Speaking of athletes getting paid, here comes Title IX. Not framed like that…yet. WBB hasn’t had enough input.
    https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ttlement-deals

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Speaking of athletes getting paid, here comes Title IX. Not framed like that…yet. WBB hasn’t had enough input.
    https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ttlement-deals
    Sorry, but that dog won't hunt. Likely the two highest NIL deals so far were held by female athletes [Livvy Dunne and Caitlin Clark]. Of course, both of those were legitimate NIL and not the artificial NIL deals created by collectives tied to universities.

Once the covid year people are gone it would go back to 6 years to play 4, so you cant pullll a move like this more than once, grad skool or not, one would think

I also always hear the media refer to "granting a red shirt" or coach "giving" or "taking away" the redshirt.
    Seems like you shouldnt have automatic and unlimited number

Good discussion about there is not as much NIL money out there as people think. https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...eam-midseason/

"I think the biggest misconception is that there's so much money out there," said Marc Hsu, a former DePaul and Western Kentucky assistant who is now the VP for the agency Verus Basketball. "There's not. There are a few schools that have a handful of money and it's not what people think schools have. For example, one school is two million dollars over what they've committed to on that roster. They thought they were going to get donations from people, but it didn't come in. There's not all this money that everyone thinks.

Great point. Obviously all these nil seeking scholar athletes never took econ 101 or ever read a newspaper, its the economy stupid

14. Default Re: UNLV QB Quits on Team Takes a Self Imposed Redshirt

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post
    Great point. Obviously all these nil seeking scholar athletes never took econ 101 or ever read a newspaper, its the economy stupid
    Oh, they are doing much better than anyone who has taken those courses . . .

Default Re: Paying a Talent Fee

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    Sounds like the “Agent” was there from the start. Main issue is that he’s not registered with the state of Nevada so the school/collective can’t negotiate anything with him. Kid signed on a verbal promise with not paperwork. Welcome to the real world kid.
    Didn't know the particular kid had to be "registered" with that state. Is that a thing?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information