Thread: 50 Years Ago in 1974

Default 50 Years Ago in 1974

50 years ago on September 14, 1974, USL played Tulane at the old Tulane Stadium in New Orleans in the first game of the year. It was supposed to be UL's second game of the year but a hurricane moved the Arkansas State home game to the end of that season. The USL Bulldogs/Ragin Cajuns had not won a game the previous season (0-10). The season prior, Tulane had beaten LSU for the first time in many years and played in the Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl. The QB at Tulane was Steve Foley who had a stellar pro career as a safety with the Denver Broncos. This was Augie Tammerillo's first game as the USL head coach. USL was, at best, a 45 point underdog. The game summary states that there were about 30,000 people at the game. With the enormous number of USL students from the New Orleans area, USL fans outnumbered Tulane fans. And the USL fans had a lot to cheer about. Emmanuel Guidry from Acadiana High scored a USL touchdown and USL's new walk-on kicker, Rafael Septien, kicked 3 field goals including a 50 yarder.

USL held a 16-14 lead late in the 4th Quarter but a phantom pass interference penalty set up Tulane on the USL 2 yard line. Tulane tried twice to score but was pushed back. A last second field goal secured a 17-16 victory for Tulane but the night belonged to the Cajuns. While running victory sprints in the end zone after the game we were joined by dozens of excited and inebriated Cajun fans. What a night. If you were at that game or listening to that game what were your experiences, thoughts, reactions about the game?

Last edited by Bankruptcyman; Today at 09:13 am. Reason: added date

Default Re: 50 Years Ago in 1974

Thought about that game this morning.felt proud walking out of the stadium.

3. Default Re: 50 Years Ago in 1974

One of my earliest memories. My Dad was listening to this game on the radio at home. I just remember him hollering every once in a while.

I was a member of the football teams equipment staff at that time and remember that game very well! It was an awesome game played at the old Tulane Stadium (Sugar Bowl).

5. Default Re: 50 Years Ago in 1974

It was my first Cajuns road game. I was a junior in high school and our high school football team made a weekend of it. I think we played Newman on the Friday night.

Great game experience at the old Sugar Bowl. Definitely a BS call. I’ll be bringing in a member of that Tulane team for the game next weekend.

Some of the stats

Attached Images Attached Images    

I really have to ask did Tulane ever get 70k people to show up to their game back in the day.

I know they were in the SEC which it was probably the dumbest decision that they ever made to get out.

8. Default Re: 50 Years Ago in 1974

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    I really have to ask did Tulane ever get 70k people to show up to their game back in the day.

I know they were in the SEC which it was probably the dumbest decision that they ever made to get out.
    No joke. Any insight into the rationale for bailing? I realize that the SEC was not the money-printing behemoth it is now but .

9. Default Re: 50 Years Ago in 1974

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tyme View Post
    No joke. Any insight into the rationale for bailing? I realize that the SEC was not the money-printing behemoth it is now but .
    Tulane wanted a more national schedule like Notre Dame and they thought the SEC was holding them back in that regard.
    Ooops.
    Georgia Tech left either the year before or after Tulane bailed.

Some smart sports guy should line up interviews next week with Augie (Asheville, NC) and Brian Mitchell and maybe Jake or Stokley to talk about past Tulane Victories/games.

11. Default Re: 50 Years Ago in 1974

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    Tulane wanted a more national schedule like Notre Dame and they thought the SEC was holding them back in that regard.
    Ooops.
    Georgia Tech left either the year before or after Tulane bailed.
    That makes sense. Yep BIG ooops.

Thread Information