Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . LastLast

Thread: Tulane Game

Default Re: Tulane Game

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    It's worse than I thought.

34 true home games. Nearly half(15) of them were at 11 or during the week. That is program destroying scheduling for US.

Another way to see how bad this is. Over the last 6 seasons we've averaged 3 Saturday afternoon/evening home games per season.
    You are trying so hard to be negative.

I struggle to think Thursday is a "mid-week" in the sense that you put it. Plenty of college football has been played on Thursday nights, and its considered by most the first day of the week's games. But I will count it as "mid-week", just for you.

Not sure where you get 15 of 34 from.

2018: 0 of 6
    2019: 2 of 7 or 1 of 6, depending on how you look at Mississippi State in Superdome
    2020: 3 of 4
    2021: 4 of 6
    2022: 1 of 6 (a Thursday game)
    2023: 1 of 6 (a Thursday game)

So its either 11 of 35 or 10 of 34 depending on how you see 2019. Less than a third either way.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Umm. Unless you want to look again, our attendance under Hud was more than Billy and that's taking out the covid year. It did not "climb" at all. I agree that his success did not lead to the attendance success that you'd attribute to a winning coach but your first sentence is purely false.
    Where did I say attendance was more under Billy than under Hud. I'm saying that it climbed, which it did.

Average attendance numbers from the last 7 years:
    2023 (Des) - 16,664
    2022 (Des) - 14,997
    2021 (Napier) - 21,073
    2019 (Napier) - 17,496
    2018 (Napier) - 18,551
    2017 (Hud) - 15,751
    2016 (Hud) - 20,224

2018's average is inflated by a game against Grambling. If you take that game out, you wind up with an average right between 2017 and 2019. Regardless, average attendance under Napier is higher in his final year than Hud's was in his final two seasons. We will never know what attendance numbers were lost in 2020, but my guess is it would have been somewhere between the 2019 and 2021 figures. Yes, Hud had the astronomical attendance numbers early in his tenure, but he also was scraping the bottom of the barrel in his final season post his numerous scandals (Trump video, players getting arrested, NCAA troubles, etc etc).

Our attendance numbers under Billy were showing improvement. These improvements were lessened because of 1. our deteriorating gameday experience. Anybody remember our 2019 game against App State? We do the best marketing we've done in school history, get a 21,000 midweek crowd (which was a huge deal for us at the time), and then botch operations and concessions so bad that we had to basically issue an apology and release an action plan going forward. Imagine begging people to come to your game and then not being able to accommodate a 50% capacity crowd. 2. More games being at bad times or midweek due to the success (2021 two thirds of our home games). 3. And obviously, Covid.

Natty Light vending machines. Get some bs a.i. to scan your retna, fork over two bucks and abracadabra.

When we enter the 4th it pumps out a city bar Bloody Mary. Lets Geaux.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaB View Post
    You are trying so hard to be negative.

I struggle to think Thursday is a "mid-week" in the sense that you put it. Plenty of college football has been played on Thursday nights, and its considered by most the first day of the week's games. But I will count it as "mid-week", just for you.
    Be serious. I think the reasons one would consider Thursdays "midweek" games for attendance purposes are painfully obvious. You greatly reduce your out-of towner crowd. Taking leave off of work, possibly on two days, is a big ask. You all but eliminate tailgating, other than for retirees or those willing to rush after work to set up for 2 hours. You put a significant dent in the number of parents and kids who can attend.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Be serious. I think the reasons one would consider Thursdays "midweek" games for attendance purposes are painfully obvious. You greatly reduce your out-of towner crowd. Taking leave off of work, possibly on two days, is a big ask. You all but eliminate tailgating, other than for retirees or those willing to rush after work to set up for 2 hours. You put a significant dent in the number of parents and kids who can attend.
    That's fair.

Any questions about midweek games, if you have plenty of time, go cruise the MAC board. MACTION happens in November, so not only a week night game, cold and wet come into play too. That’s something the whole SBC deals with. Yes, App for example, seems immune to this, but in time, they’ll be like the rest.

Basically, their fans have the same complaints as here, just years more experience. And acceptance the fans can’t over rule the presidents/money.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Who in this thread is talking about just complaining and not supporting? I haven’t seen a single person say they will no longer be attending the game (other than those who have commitments in the morning). Acknowledgement and refusing to let someone tell you a negative is actually a positive is not complaining. It’s being truthful.

Merely having all our games at a certain time won’t magically heal our attendance. Just as winning won’t. Game operations won’t. Perfect weather won’t. Opponent won’t. But all of these things are a factor in who decides or is able to show up. Weekday games will be a negative factor. 11 AM games (especially in September) will also be a negative factor.

This fanbase is in the state it is in because of a failure on the part of this administration and university to engage the community. The current state of college football (NIL, transfer portal, TV contracts forcing undesirable slots, especially on G5s) is exacerbating the issue, but those with better connections to their communities going in to this era had a better chance of weathering the storm. We were ill prepared, and it is showing. No amount of throwaway mentions on College Gameday or halftime reports on ESPN will change this. Reengaging the people within a 40 mile radius of Cajun Field will. Trying to sell them season tickets where half of the games might end up on weeknights is not a boost for that mission. It’s not unsupportive to acknowledge that.
    I didn’t say anything about not supporting. But complaining about everything isn’t being very supportive.

I’m pretty suprised espn even had a home game on their radar this year. With the amenities and construction where they are…

I may be in the minority saying this, but if given the choice will choose Saturday, 11 a.m. kickoff versus the weeknight home games (except in Sept, too darn hot midday). Obviously a 6 p.m., 6:30 p.m. or 7 p.m. kickoff is more ideal. When we become a contender for the conference championship again, ESPNU or 2 will want more of our games. If our athletic Administration's opinion counts for anything I'd rather see them push hard for Saturdays instead of weeknight home games. Just avoid the weeknight games like the plague. Right after our season concludes, the Administration should conduct a fan survey of season ticket holders/RCAF'ers/alumni to get a better read on fan preferences. Due to the current bummer reality of the college football industry, we've forever lost our traditional Saturday night gametime kick off as has other D-1 programs. But we should have a better chance at taking a strong stand that home games at Lourdes Cajun Field occur on Saturdays!

10. Default Re: Tulane Game

I told myself that I would never join this site, but as a frequent reader and proud alum, I feel like this thread has hit my breaking point.

As someone who has:
    1. Recently finished a proud career in College Athletics (not at UL) that spanned for 12 years, THE UNIVERSITY NOR THE CONFERENCE DOES NOT SET THE GAMETIMES. Each University give recommendations or preference but ultimately, it’s up to the TV networks (not just ESPN, but also FOX, NBC, CW etc.). They all have to work together to plug and play based on conference contracts and yes, they also look at matchups when selecting kick-off times; however, in UL’s or Tulane’s case, we are not a very high on the list of potential marquee matchups. If we were, then we’d be on ESPN2, ESPN or very very rarely, and maybe one day, ABC. The networks decide the Saturday lineups two weeks out which is why we found out on Monday of our game time. This system was in place last year…and the year before that…and the year before that…and the year before that etc. I’m sure UL admin AND Tulane admin requested a different time, but again, it wasn’t either of their decision. Midweek game, including Friday games, are preset at the beginning of the year due to available inventory which is why we’d know before the season if a mid-week game is on ESPN2, ESPN or ESPNU (see our game vs. Texas State on Tuesday Oct. 29 on ESPN2). It wasn’t long ago when I had to listen on the radio for the game or download some sketchy website to watch any UL sport. Being on a national broadcast to showcase our program, conference, university AND our future with the visible redevelopment of Cajun Field allows me to see my alma mater.

The system is getting better. The SEC’s new contract with ESPN allows a handful of kickoff times to be set at the beginning of the season. Look at LSU at South Carolina, that kickoff time was set before the season started. But looking at both of their schedules, you’ll notice some “FLEX” games which means the kickoff time isn’t set and will be announce (again) two weeks in advance. I have reason to believe that this system will trickle down in the future to benefit all conferences. Both last weekend and this weekend, College Gameday will be at both noon/11am kickoff. Do you really think either one of those schools fan bases cared about an early kickoff time? Hell no. Yeah I’m sure it sucks _____, but they get up, rain or shine and support their teams. No. Matter. What.

2. I haven’t been able to see UL play in-person since 2016 when we hosted Arkansas State in late November. I currently live 10+ hours away and would do ANYTHING to be able to drive to Cajun Field to see my team play in-person. I’m excited about our TV deal and hope it continues to get better as the league continues to get stronger and stronger every season. Fans and Alums like myself get to be a part of the action being so far away. Quit **tching and go the game and support our boys and university no matter what and remember how blessed you are to not only be a Cajun fan, but also be able to go every home game. Those who are complaining and boycotting because they don’t get their way are the reason why our fan base is dying. Lead by example and show the students and younger generation how amazing it is to be a Cajun. If we don’t, then our students and young alumni turn into LSU fans after graduation. Something often joked about on here and in-person about the other in-state schools. Find some damn joy and pride.

3. We ALL understand that this admin (both athletics and Martin Hall) have made very very questionable choices throughout all of UL history that include branding, conference affiliation, facilities, student engagement etc. The more we act like a bunch of spoiled 12-year-olds who complain and cry when we don’t get our way, doesn’t make the situation better and makes our fanbase look petty as hell. Stand up and voice your opinions when a situation requires it, but something like this is not it.

I’m proud as hell to be a Cajun and to see this on full display is embarrassing. This is a big game for us because it’s against a rival and I can't wait to watch it. When I go to the grocery store that morning to get my beer and snacks, I'll wear my new Cajun script t-shirt that my sister sent me with absolute pride.We might not be at the level we want to be at as an athletics department, but we’ll never get there if we continue to act this way. Like I said, find some joy and get out to Cajun Field on Saturday, because many of us who can’t wish they could.

Tulane played on a Thursday night then at 11:00am and now has a drivable road game but it’s at 11:00. Their board must be on fire.

Being school/classes are officially closed, can the football team hold meetings or practice today?

Tulane generally ok with change.

https://www.yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?t=58898

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    This pretty much sums up the problem with this fan base. We want to be big time but complain about the cost involved. Want to be respected and get national exposure but want all our games at 7:00 on Saturday night.

There’s not a single team in the country that sets their game times and not a single team that plays every game at the same time every week. Like Cajuns football should be like church. Saturday at 7:00 will make the stadium full. We don’t want national exposure, just Saturday at 7:00. We will eventually fill the stadium that way. Then when the stadium is full we will be great and become a national power. I don’t think it works that way.

LSU at SC 11:00 Saturday and game day is there. Think SC or lsu fans are complaining?

If game day ever came here we’d have people upset that their tailgate spots got relocated. I mean the excuses we make and the fingers we point for our lack of being big time is ironic.

And like I’ve said before in other threads, RP is supposed to be the diehard cajun fans. Guess we’re about 100 deep diehards
    +1000

A question for all of you saying this is just the way it is, we wanna be big time, this is so embarrassing, etc., etc.

At the time of the next espn contract negotiation, if the SBC demanded right of refusal for each member institution for weekday games and time changes for Saturday games, would you support it?

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . LastLast

Thread Information