Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: SAINTS FOOTBALL IS BACK

Default Re: SAINTS FOOTBALL IS BACK

I pass in front of MH every time I can, it’s my U. Over a span of a couple months, prob 12 - 14 times, the American flag has not been raised ONCE. 0 - 12(14).

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
    I pass in front of MH every time I can, it’s my U. Over a span of a couple months, prob 12 - 14 times, the American flag has not been raised ONCE. 0 - 12(14).
    Don't go by there often, but I'll be on the look out.

3. Default Re: SAINTS FOOTBALL IS BACK

So. you're not a Saints fan?
    If they're playing and I'm watching, sure.

But what I see is a bunch of super-rich guys making jazillions off of pro sports teams, and then getting all sorts of concessions on top of that to reduce city and state revenues-- revenues that might fund universities, schools, libraries.

People love to point out the financial impact of a pro team. But how much of that impact is diverted from other things? How much of it is people from Alexandria, Lafayette, BR, driving to NO and spending money they might have spent in their own communities?

Someone with inside knowledge once told me that the actual financial impact of an NFL team is about the same as a large shopping mall. It's just not a large contributor.

And then there is this interesting insight: when an NFL team comes to town, football support for the local university typically declines.

Hence my comment.

4. Default Re: SAINTS FOOTBALL IS BACK

People get angry about all kinds of things about the flag. but I wonder how much most people know?

The flag may be flown at night in only 3 situations (as I remember, feel free to correct): the east & west wings of the White House; ships at sea; a fort under siege.

Otherwise, it needs to be raised every morning, and lowered every evening, and then properly folded, and properly stored.

Maybe some of the people here might volunteer to show up every AM & PM and do that for UL?

5. Default Re: SAINTS FOOTBALL IS BACK

What time? Maybe they take it down when the office closes/most classes end. Maybe as early as 3?

6. Default Re: SAINTS FOOTBALL IS BACK

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    People get angry about all kinds of things about the flag. but I wonder how much most people know?

The flag may be flown at night in only 3 situations (as I remember, feel free to correct): the east & west wings of the White House; ships at sea; a fort under siege.

Otherwise, it needs to be raised every morning, and lowered every evening, and then properly folded, and properly stored.

Maybe some of the people here might volunteer to show up every AM & PM and do that for UL?
    Great post

If they're playing and I'm watching, sure.

But what I see is a bunch of super-rich guys making jazillions off of pro sports teams, and then getting all sorts of concessions on top of that to reduce city and state revenues-- revenues that might fund universities, schools, libraries.

People love to point out the financial impact of a pro team. But how much of that impact is diverted from other things? How much of it is people from Alexandria, Lafayette, BR, driving to NO and spending money they might have spent in their own communities?

Someone with inside knowledge once told me that the actual financial impact of an NFL team is about the same as a large shopping mall. It's just not a large contributor.

And then there is this interesting insight: when an NFL team comes to town, football support for the local university typically declines.

Hence my comment.
    The greed has reached another level. The pushback by taxpayers has lead to private equity firms being recruited. I look for the Saints and the state to recruit such investors down the road. But then again, I can see our fearless leaders getting out hustled by Mississippi right down the road.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news.3960542/?amp=1

Name:  MH9924.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  103.1 KB

9. Default Re: SAINTS FOOTBALL IS BACK

Thanks. I learned these things literally 50 years ago so my memory is rusty. As I thought about it there is, I believe, a fourth situation, which is during a public event that is well-lit at night. So it can be flown at a UL football game, for instance.

The other thing that occurred to me is that it may be over the east and west wings of the capitol, not the White House.

I believe all these blue line flags is a no-no as well, isn't it?

11. Default Re: SAINTS FOOTBALL IS BACK

Good pledge.

Name:  Seal_Acadiana_18.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  153.6 KB

Old Glory and our 2021 SBC Championship Flag have left together to parts unknown.

14. Default Re: SAINTS FOOTBALL IS BACK

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    I believe all these blue line flags is a no-no as well, isn't it?
    If it is clearly the US flag, probably. Change the arrangement (e.g. bunting used for decoration) or the overall color scheme, that's OK.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information