Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Beer Vending in the stands

1. Default Re: Beer Vending in the stands

""There are larger concentrations of under-21 individuals attending (college) games," Legier said."

"concentrations" is shorthand for student sections.

Outside of the student section I don't think that is an accurate statement.

Default Re: Beer Vending in the stands

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    They can lie but everyone knows the reason. I worked for the state for 7 years. No state agency is reviewing policy and laws just because they feel like it. The ONLY reason this would ever happen is if someone high up complained.
    Yes. Baton Rouge is so shiesty. No way ATC said, "hey let's review this again."

KATC did a story about Moose at the baseball games

Wonder if they'll do a follow up now that he's been erased from the gameday experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    KATC did a story about Moose at the baseball games

Wonder if they'll do a follow up now that he's been erased from the gameday experience.
    That TV spot might have been what alerted the LSU people and prompted the investigation

Just gonna have to exercise a little bit for the next natty light

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    ""There are larger concentrations of under-21 individuals attending (college) games," Legier said."

"concentrations" is shorthand for student sections.

Outside of the student section I don't think that is an accurate statement.
    They haven't been to our games obviously

Plus the beer vendors were not working the students sections

7. Default Re: Beer Vending in the stands

Legier says he and his agency are enforcing the law as it is written.
    I've been reading through the statutes, haven't found the exact regulation yet, but still browsing.

"For an independent concessionaire, it simply allows for the sale of alcohol products, which, again, is a regulated product, within the concession areas," Legier said, noting that state law does not necessarily mention the practice of hawking. "The agency has historically applied the rules of hawking or the idea that someone is walking around selling beer. We've done that in very limited circumstances, and certainly, as a public policy (or) public safety issue, (we) would be more restrictive in venues where there are likely to be more underaged individuals as you would assume there would be at a college venue, which is why you can go and grab a beer at the Superdome at a Saints game, but it has never been allowed or been in accordance with ATC and state policy to allow that practice at a college venue."
    So this basically admits that they decide when and where to enforce this "law as it is written"

Legier says although underaged people attend New Orleans Saints games and other professional sporting events at major stadiums and arenas in Louisiana, comparing those events to college sports is akin to "comparing apples and oranges."
    Bit of a straw man argument here with the "apples and oranges", but I digress.

"There are larger concentrations of under-21 individuals attending (college) games," Legier said. "The main reason for our regulatory existence is to ensure that regulated products don't fall in the hands of underaged individuals."
    He's making a conclusion here based on no real data; are there any studies on age concentrations for each type of event?

Even if there is, what does a higher concentration of persons under 21 have to do with whether or not the alcohol vendors check IDs and verify age, as they are required?

Legier says roving beer sellers will still be allowed at professional sporting events in the Superdome and other major venues in the state.
    Again, the law is the law, except when we say so. If the true concern is underage drinking and safety, wouldn't you enforce this in a place like New Orleans? One could argue a drunk college kid is probably in more danger in New Orleans than Lafayette.

The irony is that this Legier guy doesn't enforce the law equally, as he's actually claiming is the reason for this whole ordeal, essentially, "this has always been the rule, so it should be enforced universally--but not always."

You want to go insane just apply for a liquor license in this state and there are other states way worse than us.

Most of the laws go all the way back to the prohibition era and revolve around tax collection. You will be hard pressed to find anything more political than booze and politicians which should come as no surprise. I can tell you even law enforcement has a difficult time with enforcement because our state ATC will not commit to clear cut guidance on issues. I know first hand an instance where law enforcement made repeated request to the state ATC and they finally gave a verbal response but refused to put anything in writing. CYA at its finest.

As far as this situation I can personally give you a similar situation. As an owner of a restaurant with a valid liquor license I could not set up and sale drinks in MY parking lot during a Mardi Gras Parade. ATC said it would require a seperate catering license and you guessed it show me the money!!

I should probably run for governor with the promise to do just three things; completely redo our liquor laws, get rid of the state income tax, and rewrite the whole code regarding firearm free zones. Most probably don't realize it but it is illegal to carry a firearm in probably 50% of city of Lafayette.

Rant over or at least paused.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    I should probably run for governor with the promise to do just three things; completely redo our liquor laws, get rid of the state income tax, and rewrite the whole code regarding firearm free zones
    I fully endorse Cajun90 for Governor of Louisiana 2027

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    You want to go insane just apply for a liquor license in this state and there are other states way worse than us.

Most of the laws go all the way back to the prohibition era and revolve around tax collection. You will be hard pressed to find anything more political than booze and politicians which should come as no surprise. I can tell you even law enforcement has a difficult time with enforcement because our state ATC will not commit to clear cut guidance on issues. I know first hand an instance where law enforcement made repeated request to the state ATC and they finally gave a verbal response but refused to put anything in writing. CYA at its finest.

As far as this situation I can personally give you a similar situation. As an owner of a restaurant with a valid liquor license I could not set up and sale drinks in MY parking lot during a Mardi Gras Parade. ATC said it would require a seperate catering license and you guessed it show me the money!!

I should probably run for governor with the promise to do just three things; completely redo our liquor laws, get rid of the state income tax, and rewrite the whole code regarding firearm free zones. Most probably don't realize it but it is illegal to carry a firearm in probably 50% of city of Lafayette.

Rant over or at least paused.
    What's your restaurant?

11. Default Re: Beer Vending in the stands

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post
    They haven't been to our games obviously

Plus the beer vendors were not working the students sections
    Agree, for clarity I wasn't commenting on where they were working. So your point is, spot on.

I was commenting on "There are larger concentrations of under-21 individuals attending (college) games," Legier said"

He is not talking about young children, he is talking about late teens who could trick a vendor.

Those tween agers are not spread throughout the stadium any more than at a Saints game.

"concentrations"

He made an accurate statement that simply does not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Agree, for clarity I wasn't commenting on where they were working. So your point is, spot on.

I was commenting on "There are larger concentrations of under-21 individuals attending (college) games," Legier said"

He is not talking about young children, he is talking about late teens who could trick a vendor.

Those tween agers are not spread throughout the stadium any more than at a Saints game.

"concentrations"

He made an accurate statement that simply does not apply.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Iam4UL View Post
    I've been reading through the statutes, haven't found the exact regulation yet, but still browsing.

So this basically admits that they decide when and where to enforce this "law as it is written"

Bit of a straw man argument here with the "apples and oranges", but I digress.

He's making a conclusion here based on no real data; are there any studies on age concentrations for each type of event?

Even if there is, what does a higher concentration of persons under 21 have to do with whether or not the alcohol vendors check IDs and verify age, as they are required?

Again, the law is the law, except when we say so. If the true concern is underage drinking and safety, wouldn't you enforce this in a place like New Orleans? One could argue a drunk college kid is probably in more danger in New Orleans than Lafayette.

The irony is that this Legier guy doesn't enforce the law equally, as he's actually claiming is the reason for this whole ordeal, essentially, "this has always been the rule, so it should be enforced universally--but not always."
    Word.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    What's your restaurant?
    Unfortunately long gone as has been the fate of many a drinking eating establishment over the past five or so years.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    I fully endorse Cajun90 for Governor of Louisiana 2027
    I’m on board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information