Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Houston Chron: Tilman Fertitta says UH needs to stop building stuff and pay players

Default Houston Chron: Tilman Fertitta says UH needs to stop building stuff and pay players

Speaking at a press conference introducing new University of Houston Athletics Director Eddie Nuñez this week, Tilman Fertitta laid out a new vision for the school's athletics recruiting practices.
    "We have to raise a bunch of money for NIL," Fertitta said, per Duarte. "If we don't raise money for NIL, we're not going to be successful."

Fertitta pointed to the growing influence of NIL—name, image and likeness deals—and the proliferation of paying, minor-league options for aspiring pro athletes as the driving reasons for the university to shift how it applies its athletic budget. The owner of the Landry's Inc. empire mentioned UH's 2023 groundbreaking on a $140-million football operations center as an example of money perhaps ill-spent.

"This is how much college athletics has changed," Fertitta said, per Duarte. "Now you can scratch your head and say 'Do we really need to be spending $140 million on a football facility, or should we take that money from all those donors and use it on NIL?' If you talk to college athletes today, they don't care about the building anymore. They care about 'How much am I getting paid?' Think about it, because you know what they would all tell you: 'Give me that money.'"

It's a remarkably candid assessment of UH's use of funding by Fertitta, a Cougars megadonor and University of Houston dropout who has contributed heavily to his alma mater.
    UH's athletic department ended the year with a $10 million budget shortfall, which the university is addressing via an internal loan borrowed from one of its "quasi-endowments."

With the athletics department operating at a loss and millions being spent on now-unwanted facilities, it'll be interesting to see how Fertitta's NIL arguments fare.
    https://www.chron.com/sports/article.s-19716694.php

Forgo athletic facilities upgrades and instead pay players? This does NOT sound what "Name, Image, Likeness" was supposed to be.at all.

Default Re: Houston Chron: Tilman Fertitta says UH needs to stop building stuff and pay players

Didn’t Ole Miss put the brakes on their stadium upgrade last year because of this volatility?

Default Re: Houston Chron: Tilman Fertitta says UH needs to stop building stuff and pay players

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Didn’t Ole Miss put the brakes on their stadium upgrade last year because of this volatility?
    I don't know, but if so, that's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    I don't know, but if so, that's a shame.
    They “paused” the baseball stadium.
    https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co.ovation-paused

AND football

https://www.si.com/fannation/name-im.novations-jon9

When folks like Fertitta sees repeatedly going to the same people for money, at some point enough is enough. It’s an unsustainable model.

P2 will be dumping the Vanderbilts and Indianas sooner than later. Dumping those programs will be a clear signal relegation isn’t happening.

Even the recent migration of the PAC12 will fade back in the name of cutting expenses.

Always. Follow the money.

He is right though, many kids, not all (& their mommas) would rather have the money given to them and could absolutely care less if other nice to have upgrades don't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    They “paused” the baseball stadium.
    https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co.ovation-paused

AND football

https://www.si.com/fannation/name-im.novations-jon9

When folks like Fertitta sees repeatedly going to the same people for money, at some point enough is enough. It’s an unsustainable model.

P2 will be dumping the Vanderbilts and Indianas sooner than later. Dumping those programs will be a clear signal relegation isn’t happening.

Even the recent migration of the PAC12 will fade back in the name of cutting expenses.

Always. Follow the money.
    Well yeahI suspect we will have a nice new stadium and nobody will show up. When you stop to do the numbers you find that with RCAF, seat license, parking and ticket cost you are between 300.00 to 500.00 per seat per game. I'm sorry the entertainment value is not there. I have had two calls about season tickets renewal. I told them sorry but I am done. I think they have heard the story from others.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    Well yeahI suspect we will have a nice new stadium and nobody will show up. When you stop to do the numbers you find that with RCAF, seat license, parking and ticket cost you are between 300.00 to 500.00 per seat per game. I'm sorry the entertainment value is not there. I have had two calls about season tickets renewal. I told them sorry but I am done. I think they have heard the story from others.
    That’s pretty much what I told them. $7800 for 4 club seats. I’ll watch games from the camp.

8. Default Re: Houston Chron: Tilman Fertitta says UH needs to stop building stuff and pay players

It doesn't have to be either or.

The Swamp is still the place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    That’s pretty much what I told them. $7800 for 4 club seats. I’ll watch games from the camp.
    I opted out the covid year and was amazed at how much time I had on weekends. It was great.

I hope they earn your time and money back brother. You have been a loyal supporter. This is going to be a fun year!

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Thats the cheapest way to get into a game?! Holy geez!

12. Default Re: Houston Chron: Tilman Fertitta says UH needs to stop building stuff and pay players

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    Nope. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    No, he is talking about premium seats.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Houston Chron: Tilman Fertitta says UH needs to stop building stuff and pay players

I hate to say this, guys, but Fertitta's right. The way things are now, the ONLY way their (UH's) program, AND OURS, is going to compete with P5 teams, is to sink the bulk, if not all their money into their NIL program so they can get and retain the best talent possible. That's what it has come down to, like it or not.

#cULture
    #WeAreLouisiana
    #GeauxCajuns
    ##BeatGrambling

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information