Thread: Word Of The Day for the 2024 Football Season: FINISH

Default Word Of The Day for the 2024 Football Season: FINISH

In 2020-2021 (23-2 combined record), we were 11-1 in games decided by 7 points or less.

In 2022-2023 (12-14 combined record)…2-9 in games decided by 7 points or less.

If we learn how to finish games, this season can be a whole load of fun. We are that close.

Default Re: Word Of The Day for the 2024 Football Season: FINISH

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    In 2020-2021, we were 11-1 in games decided by 7 points or less.

In 2022-2023…2-9.

If we learn how to finish games, this season can be a whole load of fun. We are that close.
    Wonder how much of that has to do with coaching more than the talent on the field.

Be able to run the ball. Napier's teams could do that so well. If you can control the clock, you can close out games. We protected a bunch of leads by keeping the other team off the field with crazy long drives at the end of games where we just kept converting, kept converting.

Defense needs to be better too, but a hallmark of the Napier close game was running the ball. I'll never forget that stAte game from 2021. Protected a 1-point lead with a 20 play, 90-yard drive that ran out the clock. Took over 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Be able to run the ball. Napier's teams could do that so well. If you can control the clock, you can close out games. We protected a bunch of leads by keeping the other team off the field with crazy long drives at the end of games where we just kept converting, kept converting.

Defense needs to be better too, but a hallmark of the Napier close game was running the ball. I'll never forget that stAte game from 2021. Protected a 1-point lead with a 20 play, 90-yard drive that ran out the clock. Took over 10 minutes.
    Man that 2021 team was special. Still makes me wonder what could have been if we could have converted some 3rd downs during the first half of the Week 1 game vs. Texas. Our defensive front 7 was spent by halftime.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post

I remember that series. Good one.

And us losing a helmet in every single game. Starter having to sit out next play was some b.s. Can not stand that rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Wonder how much of that has to do with coaching more than the talent on the field.
    About a 9-2 difference. This is a 10 win roster and has been since Napier left.

The talent is there. What we are seeing is growing pains of a staff that has struggled with in game management, player personnel decisions and mental toughness. They must turn it around or there won’t be a contract extension.

I am in Desormeaux’s corner, but he has to get it done this year and take that next step. If he does then this hire will pay off.

We desperately need them to figure it out. This is a great schedule for us and as the penultimate season for the stadium we need 8-10 wins.

I'm worried that Tulane game could be an embarrassing one for us. I wouldn't call it a Must Win for the program, but I don't think we can afford a result like the last time LA Tech came to Cajun Field.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
    I remember that series. Good one.

And us losing a helmet in every single game. Starter having to sit out next play was some b.s. Can not stand that rule.
    That is a really dumb rule. Just put the helmet back on and play. What's even dumber is that if an opponent pulls it off, I think the player gets to stay in.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    About a 9-2 difference. This is a 10 win roster and has been since Napier left.

The talent is there. What we are seeing is growing pains of a staff that has struggled with in game management, player personnel decisions and mental toughness. They must turn it around or there won’t be a contract extension.

I am in Desormeaux’s corner, but he has to get it done this year and take that next step. If he does then this hire will pay off.

We desperately need them to figure it out. This is a great schedule for us and as the penultimate season for the stadium we need 8-10 wins.
    I’m not sure how you think mikes first roster was as talented as napiers roster when we lost 45 players to graduation and transfer that off season. Did they under achieve? I think so. But I definitely saw a rebuild after Napier left.

10. Default Re: Word Of The Day for the 2024 Football Season: FINISH

Definitly an experience void when Napier left.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    I’m not sure how you think mikes first roster was as talented as napiers roster when we lost 45 players to graduation and transfer that off season. Did they under achieve? I think so. But I definitely saw a rebuild after Napier left.
    I didn’t say it was the same. I said it was a 10 win roster.

Three one score losses. ULM, Troy and South Al. That’s a 9 win season right there.

Thread Information