Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reshaped G5 postseason

Default Re: Reshaped G5 postseason

As usual, the same BS. Until the P4's are NOT SCARED to have a true playoff system.
    Conference winners- automatic bid - 9 conferences, 9 teams plus 7 at large.

Use whatever poll system you want (ESPN, Coaches, AP) to fill the other 7 teams. Voila, you have a playoff of 16 teams. HOWEVER, the P4's are absolutely petrified to do it this way because mark my word, within 6 years of this happening, a G5 would be winning the first true national championship.

Until this happens, every "national championship" has been subjective in picking the best teams to play. First it was the "best" two, "best" four. And this new playoff system is also at best very subjective.

So why should G5's even play the P4's in the regular season if they aren't allowed to participate in the post season?

So a G5 get's one bid to participate in the playoff? And how can you truly decide out of the 5 G5 conferences who is the best team to represent all the G5's?

This is truly a cluster eff. The P4's remind me of the kid who if he doesn't get his way, he takes his ball and cries to mommy or just big bullies that have nothing else going on in their life so they pick on the smaller kids to make themselves feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    As usual, the same BS. Until the P4's are NOT SCARED to have a true playoff system.
    Conference winners- automatic bid - 9 conferences, 9 teams plus 7 at large.

Use whatever poll system you want (ESPN, Coaches, AP) to fill the other 7 teams. Voila, you have a playoff of 16 teams. HOWEVER, the P4's are absolutely petrified to do it this way because mark my word, within 6 years of this happening, a G5 would be winning the first true national championship.

Until this happens, every "national championship" has been subjective in picking the best teams to play. First it was the "best" two, "best" four. And this new playoff system is also at best very subjective.

So why should G5's even play the P4's in the regular season if they aren't allowed to participate in the post season?

So a G5 get's one bid to participate in the playoff? And how can you truly decide out of the 5 G5 conferences who is the best team to represent all the G5's?

This is truly a cluster eff. The P4's remind me of the kid who if he doesn't get his way, he takes his ball and cries to mommy or just big bullies that have nothing else going on in their life so they pick on the smaller kids to make themselves feel better.
    It’s over, three monster leagues and then it will split. Once FSU and Clemson figure their stuff out it’s gonna be over.

It’s our own fault. We had 50 years to get our crap together. Grow the brand, the fan base and program. We did next to nothing to improve for 40 of those 50 years.

G5 will eventually decide to do their own playoff, and it will be talked about the same way they cover the FCS championship -- as a passing mention during Sportscenter on a Thursday night with Beth Mowins doing commentary.

They'll let the G5 keep their one berth for a few years, putting them as the 12 seed against whoever loses the SEC championship game, and eventually other P4 teams will complain that the #5 team is getting an unfair advantage because they get to the play the lowly little G5 team, while the #6 has to play Notre Dame, Penn St, etc.

All we need to do is get a plan in place so when or if they cut the G5 school out of the playoffs we can implement the plan, but till that day comes it is a mute point.

This is the best we will get to ever compete for a NC. This is what the G5 ask for just a chance at a National Title. Its in every sport in NCAA why not football as well.

Sometimes Goliath is scared of the youngster with a slingshot

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    It’s over, three monster leagues and then it will split. Once FSU and Clemson figure their stuff out it’s gonna be over.

It’s our own fault. We had 50 years to get our crap together. Grow the brand, the fan base and program. We did next to nothing to improve for 40 of those 50 years.
    100% this.

The NIT of football. I quit reading there. What a doofus remark…how’s that NIT of MBB working out for non power conferences?

We need to think outside the box.

Whatever the big conferences call themselves after they ditch the NCAA, it for sure won't be called collegiate.

I have zero interest in another professional football league. The schools that remain under the NCAA should take this opportunity to shake things up.

First of all, no more fbs/fcs. It will be just DI. Secondly, football should be carved out of existing conferences, and those conferences should seek regionality as much as possible through realignment.

What happens to football? We're gonna Pro/Rel this baby. All of the D1 football schools will be reorganized into 10 or 12 team groups, by region, based on a power rating of some sort for the first season. If you finish in bottom 2 of your group, you get relegated to the next lower group. If you finish in the top 2 of your group, you get promoted to the next highest group.

At the end of the year, we would have a Champions League where champions from each region will compete for the final title.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    G5 will eventually decide to do their own playoff, and it will be talked about the same way they cover the FCS championship -- as a passing mention during Sportscenter on a Thursday night with Beth Mowins doing commentary.

They'll let the G5 keep their one berth for a few years, putting them as the 12 seed against whoever loses the SEC championship game, and eventually other P4 teams will complain that the #5 team is getting an unfair advantage because they get to the play the lowly little G5 team, while the #6 has to play Notre Dame, Penn St, etc.
    I agree to a certain degree, but believe this playoff would have more interest and coverage versus the FCS. In general, more alumni = more interest = more $$$. There would be more interest in a G5 championship than a FCS championship, resulting in a greater TV contract. So, just as the P3/4 is separating from the G5, the G5 would separate from the FCS.

I am not saying this is a good thing, but just the way I see things going.

Seems like there's only about ten P4 schools right now that can pay for everything in college athletics that's heading our way; all about to become much more expensive. I'd bet on a slimming down of the P4 to P3 with at most maybe 48 schools within next ten years resulting in G5 ranks growing dramatically. It won't be pretty. As stated earlier in this thread, Louisiana missed the first boat(s) to climb a few rungs. We still have a chance to become part of the best of the rest. Our football and men's basketball need to consistently win big to get in the national conversation spotlight. App St. outshining us in the perception spotlight and when we should be way out in front of them.

Somewhat related, it may be lawn chair, popcorn and beer time for Miami. Mr. Life Wallet probably bailing soon.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/.ster-john-ruiz

I’d bet he won’t be the only one, given time. He was buying players left and right at one point. Things like this will make the money drunken P-2 more dependent on their own funds, which will lead to cannibalism in pursuit of the last dollar.

Good, I don't mean any ill will towards him, but I would like to see these dominoes start lining up.

14. Default Re: Reshaped G5 postseason

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post

Lafayette vs Louisiana at Lafayette

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post
    Lafayette vs Louisiana at Lafayette
    Don’t know which is more sickening…that matchup or Beth Mowins.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information