Thread: Most interesting aspect of 2024 football season?

Default Most interesting aspect of 2024 football season?

Though I'm typically more interested in offense, this season with our new DC, the defense has my attention.

Default Re: Most interesting aspect of 2024 football season?

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Though I'm typically more interested in offense, this season with our new DC, the defense has my attention.
    This has me the most excited. A commitment to stopping the run is huge. I know for some, play calling was at the top of the list, but, for me, defense has been the largest reason for our lack of results the past two seasons. Our approach and lack tackling has been really bad. This is the biggest thing I miss from the Napier days. I thought we were an excellent tackling team, and that alone could turn around a lot of those one score losses.

I have to say one thing des has to get better at is in game adjustments, great to come in with a game plan, but when they adjust to what we are doing its like game over.

I know that comes with experience but we need to adjust

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    This has me the most excited. A commitment to stopping the run is huge. I know for some, play calling was at the top of the list, but, for me, defense has been the largest reason for our lack of results the past two seasons. Our approach and lack tackling has been really bad. This is the biggest thing I miss from the Napier days. I thought we were an excellent tackling team, and that alone could turn around a lot of those one score losses.
    A change in the DC position was needed and it happened. How that transpired is a mystery to me, but very happy to see the change in focus to playing fast by keeping it simple. Those 3 man fronts just didn't work, least with the personnel playing. On paper, we seem to have a plethora of athletic bodies with height and size to be very disruptive. We played very soft at times last year. That ole dominion game early in the season was telling, and gave our other opponents on the schedule a blueprint to our weaknesses and defensive play calling/strategy.

5. Default Re: Most interesting aspect of 2024 football season?

A change in the DC position was needed and it happened. How that transpired is a mystery to me, but very happy to see the change in focus to playing fast by keeping it simple. Those 3 man fronts just didn't work, least with the personnel playing. On paper, we seem to have a plethora of athletic bodies with height and size to be very disruptive. We played very soft at times last year. That ole dominion game early in the season was telling, and gave our other opponents on the schedule a blueprint to our weaknesses and defensive play calling/strategy.
    That ODU game was a ____show defensively. Had no business losing that game.

Before the season, I was terrified of the ODU game. A road conference game that early, with a new OC, whose offenses absolutely lit the world on fire, albeit at lower levels, was a terrible recipe. We win that game if it is later in the season, because we had more tape on them. We would’ve played it like Texas State, which was a nail-biter, but ODU wasn’t as talented as Texas State, and the defense’s approach would’ve been better, but still not the best.

I'm scared of the early Kennesaw game

If UL loses, the Kennesaw State game we have big issues. I don’t expect us to lose that game. I expect us to come home 2-0 for Tulane.

9. Default Re: Most interesting aspect of 2024 football season?

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    I'm scared of the early Kennesaw game
    I can see that but I’m confident the boys will be ready. We have the bye week heading into Tulane and we will be 2-0.

On the ragincajuns.com website, there is video of the reporting day conversations with the HC and the 3 coordinators. The interview with DC Coach Salgado was most encouraging. Not to say, I did not gain something from all the conversations. It's just that I was most interested in Coach Salgado as he is the new guy on the block.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    I can see that but I’m confident the boys will be ready. We have the bye week heading into Tulane and we will be 2-0.
    I hope so, but this is the epitome of bad scheduling. FCS call-up getting a recent top 25 program at home. It's a recipe for disaster.
    No f'ing way in hell we should be going there first. F'ing stupid

Name:  Image.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  90.4 KB

27 days

13. Default Re: Most interesting aspect of 2024 football season?

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    I hope so, but this is the epitome of bad scheduling. FCS call-up getting a recent top 25 program at home. It's a recipe for disaster.
    No f'ing way in hell we should be going there first. F'ing stupid
    100% agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    100% agree with that.
    Yep!

Name:  24 lid black 2.png
Views: 86
Size:  1.13 MB

26 days

Thread Information