Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: NCAA is expected to approve increased scholarships across multiple sports

NCAA NCAA is expected to approve increased scholarships across multiple sports

Default Re: NCAA is expected to approve increased scholarships across multiple sports

Football 105 (+20)
    Basketball 15 (+2)
    Baseball 34 (+22.3)
    Softball 25 (+13)
    Volleyball 18 (+6)

That's an extra 1,280 scholarships just for the P5 in football

3. Default Re: NCAA is expected to approve increased scholarships across multiple sports

That’s the last thing we needed. More talent riding the pine in the P5.

Default Re: NCAA is expected to approve increased scholarships across multiple sports

For baseball. Roster sizes are now shrinking by 6 players. Each p5 school will lose 6 players. Those players will have to go somewhere. UL will lose 6 spots as well.

Question is, how many baseball scholarships will UL fund? Right now they fund 11.7. Will they fund 17? The full 34?

For those that do not feel comfortable funding NIL, would you fund a softball or baseball scholarship?

This is a drastic shift for
    College athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Football 105 (+20)
    Basketball 15 (+2)
    Baseball 34 (+22.3)
    Softball 25 (+13)
    Volleyball 18 (+6)

That's an extra 1,280 scholarships just for the P5 in football
    How does this work with Title 9 rules? I can’t find anything online explaining that part

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post
    How does this work with Title 9 rules? I can’t find anything online explaining that part
    I'm going to take a wild guess here but I believe the old basis of a "quota" system for Title 9 is going to the wayside.

I believe the thought process is that equal opportunity doesn't necessarily equate to equal numbers. The courts have stated as much on the academic side. Also if you look at it from a percentage increase the women's sports gained more than the men.

7. Default Re: NCAA is expected to approve increased scholarships across multiple sports

Now I'm worried.

NIL didn't change anything.

This does.

20 more spots for football.absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Going to be a rough year or so for the non power conferences as the P2 or 4 backfill.

We laugh at the 2k plus every year in the MBB portal. It’s obvious money is not the only driver. Give it time, egos will create one year wonders at the G5 level in multiple sports. Just need coaches that can spot said players.

The problem down the road will be the overall inequity in NIL money in a Title IX setting.

90 gets you 4 deep offense and defense at every position plus 1 punter and 1 K. Alll on full scholarship. Imagine being on full scholarship & after fall camp have 15 on full scholarship left making the 5th string.

And that being normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    90 gets you 4 deep offense and defense at every position plus 1 punter and 1 K. Alll on full scholarship. Imagine being on full scholarship & after fall camp have 15 on full scholarship left making the 5th string.

And that being normal.
    The extra 15 can all be kickers and holders, lol

How many once redshirting comes back in to play

The "pine" might as well be replaced with lazy boy recliners in an air conditioned booth

Hate to be right; but I have seen this coming for several years, and have warned baseball and softball fans about how this will make us less competitive in those sports for about the last 5 or 6 years.

As for football, both basketballs and volleyball, all have been headcount sports for years. They just raised the scholarship limit to equal the roster limit in those sports; that won't hurt nearly as much as the changes in the stick and ball sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Atown cajun View Post
    That’s the last thing we needed. More talent riding the pine in the P5.
    Hmmm but the narrative for the past decade has been that "kids these days" don't want to ride the pine anymore.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information