Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: p5 Move up

1. Default p5 Move up

….Just wondering where the Cajuns would rank in a possible P5 move up among the G5 teams…Memphis I think tops and just who could go where…Tulane thinks that they are in play per their board…but we go nowhere ever without fans….what in the hell happened?

Default Re: p5 Move up

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ….Just wondering where the Cajuns would rank in a possible P5 move up among the G5 teams…Memphis I think tops and just who could go where…Tulane thinks that they are in play per their board…but we go nowhere ever without fans….what in the hell happened?
    What happened? Greed has destroyed collegiate sports. Money rules the day. Look at what SMU had to do to get an ACC invite. A multi-year, several hundred million dollar deal where they do not get TV money for a while. I don't know if there is another school that could have done that deal, and they only got that because of the huge Dallas market.

If there are any more G5 schools joining a "P5" league, it will be as a replacement school for the Big-12. I'll just give you a list of the schools that I think are ahead of us for that invite.

Memphis
    Tulane
    Oregon State
    Washington State
    San Diego State
    UNLV
    Colorado State
    Air Force
    UTSA

Translation - there will be no invite coming.

As the top of FBS becomes a professional group, we need to focus on being the best of the collegiate group. In that sense we are in a major collegiate league already. Let's all focus on Louisiana Saturday Nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    No chance

Our media market is useless to the P4 conferences, and we aren't even the most popular school in Lafayette

It’s all about $$$ and if Memphis doesn’t have enough, we sure as hell don’t.

There is no longer a “P5”

It’s now P4, which makes being included even more difficult. It was a pipe dream before, now it’s a fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    There is no longer a “P5”

It’s now P4, which makes being included even more difficult. It was a pipe dream before, now it’s a fantasy.
    Its not a fantasy, even if it was no reason to not try be the best university that it could be specially when it comes to sports!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    Its not a fantasy, even if it was no reason to not try be the best university that it could be specially when it comes to sports!
    I don’t think I said anything at all about not trying to be the best we can be.

The conversation was about getting an invite to join one of the P4 leagues…for sports.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    I don’t think I said anything at all about not trying to be the best we can be.

The conversation was about getting an invite to join one of the P4 leagues…for sports.
    Well we havent done the necessary things to build fan support, more fan support more money, in turn better facilities etc i dont think we even close to reaching our true potential.

We as fans and the university think we are trapped in this box. We are not trapped in a box, we just been in the box for so long we never really figured out how to crawl out of it!

Look at teams like TCU, Cincinnati, Louisville, San Diego St., UCF, Houston they all were like we are now, and they were able to climb out of it and reach their potential.

It's 100% is a fantasy

Early in Hud's tenure our athletic program was reaching new heights and having success across the board, and our admin decided that was the time to try and posture as an up-and-coming P5 candidate.

We raised prices annually. We started planning for a stadium that holds 2-3x our average attendance. And most importantly, we started removing or pricing out many of the small-school traditions that helped build a fanbase -- specifically tailgating.

Pretending to be a viable P5 school is the root cause for almost every single issue we have today with attendance.

Well we havent done the necessary things to build fan support, more fan support more money, in turn better facilities etc i dont think we even close to reaching our true potential.

We as fans and the university think we are trapped in this box. We are not trapped in a box, we just been in the box for so long we never really figured out how to crawl out of it!

Look at teams like TCU, Cincinnati, Louisville, San Diego St., UCF, Houston they all were like we are now, and they were able to climb out of it and reach their potential.
    We all want the same things for our university.

But the schools you listed are not the same as we are…starting immediately with media market.

I like your ambition and hope it comes to fruition at some point. I just happen to disagree with you that there’s a snowball’s chance in hell that we get a P4 invite. At least in most of our lifetimes.

And I’d absolutely love to be dead wrong about it.

Lafayette, Louisiana does not belong on a list with those media markets.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    Lafayette, Louisiana does not belong on a list with those media markets.
    Well it just so happens to be in those media markets. What about Utah? Salt Lake City is a town of 204,000 people. Lafayette might be little more then half.

Media does matter, but its not the end all be all! If we had 50k fans and winning the Sunbelt Championships and making it to the playoffs our media market wouldnt matter!

Dont get me wrong we would have to excel on all fronts!!

Think TCU was selling out stadiums before they had 4 or 5 12-0 seasons. What about UCF were they selling out before they had 4 or 5 11 and 12 win seasons and beating P5 schools and going to a Couple NY6 they clicked at the right time.

Look we have to figure out what works for us. I know we can do it, but in order to do it everything from experience outside the stadium as well as inside the stadium to winning Sunbelt Championships and having 11-1 or 12-0 seasons in order to get to that next level.

The 12 team playoff actually gives us a chance.

Imagine us going 12-0 winning the Sunbelt and getting into the first round of the NCAA playoffs and knocking off Michigan. Before it couldnt happen with the format we have now we have a chance. That alone would put us on the map!

Its not just winning that brings in fans! It takes more then winning that is what the Administration and some people have to realize. Again its a multitude of things that it takes to do that.

13. Default Re: p5 Move up

our admin decided that was the time to try and posture as an up-and-coming P5 candidate.
    Not accurate on the posturing.

If they wanted to posture they would have gotten out of the SunBelt.

The mistake (in this context) was propping up the SunBelt at Louisiana's expense.

Fortunately Louisiana going all in on the SBC is starting to pay respect dividends, minus the money.

Selling out stadiums won't get you any more interest from the P4 conferences

UL would do so much better for itself by just leaning into the small school mantra, which allows you to do quirky stuff that sets you apart from larger schools. Look at the attention our $2 natty promotion got.

Selling out stadiums won't get you any more interest from the P4 conferences

UL would do so much better for itself by just leaning into the small school mantra, which allows you to do quirky stuff that sets you apart from larger schools. Look at the attention our $2 natty promotion got.
    Its money! In order to expand we need butts the more butts we get our chances of bringing in more money.

For us we need butts in the seats to be able to bring in more money for our program.

Us double and tripling out prices is putting the cart before the horse!

It is having a negative effect in the money we are bringing in.

We got to expand our fan base before you start raising prices.

This is where coming from Missouri or Arkansas doesnt help we do not have the fanbase yet to do what we are doing.

They are trying to take the easy way out. Well thats not going to work here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information