Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Greaux the KREWE!

Default Re: Greaux the KREWE!

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
    You guys write all the checks you want to lure kids to play sports at UL. IMO, NIL was created for businesses like Service Chevrolet to be able to pay athletes to "endorse" their brands. It wasn't meant for fans of a program to fork out cash through some thinly veiled collective to pay for them to come to school.
    Bingo. Or for them to be able to receive compensation for signing autographs, if folks want to pay for such, or to be able to get paid giving hitting lessons, agility lessons, etc. in the offseason for money and not have to worry about making "too much" to draw scrutiny from the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by ecajuns View Post
    that is correct. performance stats on the field cannot be determining factor
    That is the way I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by ecajuns View Post
    that is correct. performance stats on the field cannot be determining factor
    I don’t think that is entirely accurate.

We have to think about NIL in theory, not in reality.

If I own a business and I want to hire X to promote my product/business, the value I get is based partially on how popular X is, which in many cases correlate with how well X is playing, which can be analyzed with stats.

I know that’s not what’s going on. But again, that’s how NIL is being analyzed…theory vs reality

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaB View Post

If I own a business and I want to hire X to promote my product/business, the value I get is based partially on how popular X is, which in many cases correlate with how well X is playing, which can be analyzed with stats.

I know that’s not what’s going on. But again, that’s how NIL is being analyzed…theory vs reality
    To continue with the example. If X is a WR, he may get no discussion in the newspapers, on TV, etc, if he has 0 catches. He is probably not a popular player, and me using his name, image or likeness in my advertisements have little value.

But if the guy is the national player of the week, had 10 receptions, 200 yards, 3 TDs, the value I get from using his name image and likeness increases a lot

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaB View Post

I don't think so either. Incentives and Performance are clearly what was discussed in both meetings for baseball. Now, that doesn't mean there isn't a component that pays a certain amount each semester. But the way it was explained is that there is also performance incentives not just tied to stats, but GPA, Community Hours and other measurements that are already required to remain in the program. The $10 donation monthly is a way for the fan base to become invested into their program.

Other levels are business focused on monthly player and coaches' meetings, athlete engagement, marketing and other services. This is very similar to what LSU is currently doing with such businesses like Gordan Mckernan Law Firm.

I will wait until I receive feedback from the questions that I have from the meeting I attend. The $10 monthly gift is not a big deal to me, but some type of performance and incentives must be tied to next level given. No one can convince me that a Kyle Debarge should receive the same amount of NIL as a true freshman or someone else sitting on the bench. That is not how the Corporate World works or even professional sports. That is why there is a rookie salary pool in the NFL, NBA and Slot levels for MLB. You build your level of compensation based upon performance.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information