Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Van Landry

1. People Van Landry

Van passed away yesterday afternoon. Anyone who knew him was well aware of his love for Louisiana sports especially RAGIN CAJUNS BASEBALL. Van served on the advisory committee tasked with the seeking of applicants, interviewing and the eventual hiring of Louisiana’s Coach Robichaux who he shared a close relationship with. He treasured the 40 plus years he and his wife Elizabeth attended those games sitting right behind home plate where he could be seen keeping his scorebook. Regrettably, due to his declining health, they could no longer attend games the past two seasons. However, he and Liz religiously watched every game streamed and listening to the ones that were’t. Van lived and literally died loving Ragin Cajuns Baseball. I’m going to miss my brother. Ragin Cajuns Baseball undoubtedly will as well having lost one of its most dedicated fans and supporters ever. Please keep Van and his family in your prayers.

Special thanks to Coaches Babineaux, Domingue and Gerald Hebert for visiting Van at Ochsner General a few days prior to his passing.

2. Default Re: Van Landry

So sorry to hear, my heart goes out to Van's family.

Thanks for posting.

3. Default Re: Van Landry

obviously the definition of a legend as a fan . . . may he RIP and condolences and prayers to his family

Default Re: Van Landry

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    obviously the definition of a legend as a fan . . . may he RIP and condolences and prayers to his family

You're comment got me thinking. We need a Cajun Fan Hall of Fame.

RIP Mr. Landry.

Quote Originally Posted by cwl1951 View Post
    Van passed away yesterday afternoon. Anyone who knew him was well aware of his love for Louisiana sports especially RAGIN CAJUNS BASEBALL. Van served on the advisory committee tasked with the seeking of applicants, interviewing and the eventual hiring of Louisiana’s Coach Robichaux who he shared a close relationship with. He treasured the 40 plus years he and his wife Elizabeth attended those games sitting right behind home plate where he could be seen keeping his scorebook. Regrettably, due to his declining health, they could no longer attend games the past two seasons. However, he and Liz religiously watched every game streamed and listening to the ones that were’t. Van lived and literally died loving Ragin Cajuns Baseball. I’m going to miss my brother. Ragin Cajuns Baseball undoubtedly will as well having lost one of its most dedicated fans and supporters ever. Please keep Van and his family in your prayers.

Special thanks to Coaches Babineaux, Domingue and Gerald Hebert for visiting Van at Ochsner General a few days prior to his passing.
    Uncle Van taught me lots about the game of baseball especially pitching. Used to love sitting with him behind home plate on Friday nights to watch the aces pitch for both teams. It was tough going to the games the last few years and not seeing him in his normal spot. It will be even harder now. Our family and the Cajuns family as a whole lost a great man. RIP Uncle Van.

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Uncle Van taught me lots about the game of baseball especially pitching. Used to love sitting with him behind home plate on Friday nights to watch the aces pitch for both teams. It was tough going to the games the last few years and not seeing him in his normal spot. It will be even harder now. Our family and the Cajuns family as a whole lost a great man. RIP Uncle Van.
    So, he was your Dad's brother? Sorry for your loss, man

Sorry for your loss. Van was a great fan and patron of baseball at all levels in this area. May he rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Condolences to you and your family. Older die hard Cajun fans like Mr. Landry are slowly passing away. UL needs to do something to generate new younger fans.

9. Default Re: Van Landry

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Sorry for your loss. Van was a great fan and patron of baseball at all levels in this area. May he rest in peace.
    ……Remember the Friday nights after VC games at his mr Gattis…Fun time for our 2 crazy daughters!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ……Remember the Friday nights after VC games at his mr Gattis…Fun time for our 2 crazy daughters!
    Didn't Mr. Landry and Gunnie Hebert work together?

11. Default Re: Van Landry

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post
    Didn't Mr. Landry and Gunnie Hebert work together?
    Van owned Nr. Gattis’ in Abbeville. He worked for Van and Van’s son Kevin who now owns Cafe’ Lola’s two locations in Lafayette.

Goony’s older brother Gerald Hebert and his late wife Claudia were very close friends of Van and his wife Liz.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    We would go after football practice on Mondays and eat ALL of the pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    We would go after football practice on Mondays and eat ALL of the pizza.
    Went there after many baseball games also.

Quote Originally Posted by cwl1951 View Post

Very sorry to hear. I knew Van in a different capacity, when he was the head of I-Acadia, The Economic Development Authority of Acadia parish. He was an Air Force Academy graduate, and former Congressman Chris John was his brother-in-law.

He was a good guy. I learned some things from him.

15. Default Re: Van Landry

I got my bloody mary recipe from Mr. Van years ago and still use it to this day. RIP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information