Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst . 5 12 13 14 15

Thread: Hurricane Beryl

Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    Shell is also making big investments in CCS.

And in a related story (because Shell Energy is my electricity provider), we’ve got power back at Team Ledet World HQ! Whew.
    First, awesome news.

Second, I do think CCS can work, but can it work in the market without HUGE government support of these per ton tax credits going to either the emitter, which then pays the midstream CO2 handler a fee, or where they all go to the sequesteror?

The technology for point source CCS has been around for decades and done safely by industry. But it’s been done either as a mechanism to push out residue hydrocarbons, or to inject harmful sour gas back into the ground for gas plants and such. The scale of these now proposed projects is MUCH larger than those operations. I don’t doubt these projects can and will (by credible companies like an Exxon, Talos and OXY) be done safely, but viability is a HUGE question.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    First, awesome news.

Second, I do think CCS can work, but can it work in the market without HUGE government support of these per ton tax credits going to either the emitter, which then pays the midstream CO2 handler a fee, or where they all go to the sequesteror?

The technology for point source CCS has been around for decades and done safely by industry. But it’s been done either as a mechanism to push out residue hydrocarbons, or to inject harmful sour gas back into the ground for gas plants and such. The scale of these now proposed projects is MUCH larger than those operations. I don’t doubt these projects can and will (by credible companies like an Exxon, Talos and OXY) be done safely, but viability is a HUGE question.
    Totally agree, CCS doesn’t work without government intervention. The government provides the financial incentive.

Due diligence is being done to evaluate the technical aspects of CCS projects. Class VI permitting, with primacy given to the state of Louisiana a few months ago, will see to that. The DENR is actively seeing to that.

Totally agree, CCS doesn’t work without government intervention. The government provides the financial incentive.

Due diligence is being done to evaluate the technical aspects of CCS projects. Class VI permitting, with primacy given to the state of Louisiana a few months ago, will see to that. The DENR is actively seeing to that.
    Air Products walked their asses into a hornets’ nest, though, doing their project under Maurepas! But…the LA DNR and LA DWF approved the project and granted the sequestration agreement. You have to wonder about the politics played there.

I believe Exxon’s is around Intracoastal City or so? You don’t hear a bunch of outrage about that one, though I think their proposed “storage complex” is under lands (marshlands) they own.

1- I never said anything at all about ok with subsidies for one and not for the other. Again, though, the oil & gas companies paying a net negative in taxes are the ones not in business long and don't represent the ones driving the industry. The ones driving the industry, they are paying net positive overall in taxes.

2- You're not telling me anything I don't already know about those companies mentioned above and their "renewable" or "low carbon" arms and business ventures they've established. I am extremely well informed on that end, especially the CCS and emissions reductions technologies. I've discussed those here in the past, and if you're asking my personal opinion, no, I don't believe the government should be shelling out billions in tax dollars for CCS projects, ESPECIALLY the direct air capture stuff that appears to be wastefully inefficient. At least the point-source stuff is direct and efficient from the emitters to the injection site via pipeline, not wasting ungodly vast amounts of water and electricity in the process. However, at the end of the day, government wanted to force industry into these types of projects, so industry successfully lobbied with "Hey, if you want it so bad, then YOU help out".

Sign me up as skeptical.
    I’m with you.

PS… I wish I was one of those rich libs that could just “buy” my carbon credits… while owning four mansions, a jet, and a yaucht.

Air Products walked their asses into a hornets’ nest, though, doing their project under Maurepas! But…the LA DNR and LA DWF approved the project and granted the sequestration agreement. You have to wonder about the politics played there.

I believe Exxon’s is around Intracoastal City or so? You don’t hear a bunch of outrage about that one, though I think their proposed “storage complex” is under lands (marshlands) they own.
    Correct. Injecting under their own lands. We welcome them in da parish. As long as they’re spending some $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    Correct. Injecting under their own lands. We welcome them in da parish. As long as they’re spending some $$$.
    They gonna buy up all that bait mullet to catch them big reds and cats in the Delcambre Canal!

You sure the sequestration permit was approved?

I’m pretty sure they are drilling test wells under a Class V permit. The actual injection/sequestration would happen with a Class VI permit.

Class VI used to run through the EPA until the state of Louisiana was granted primacy earlier this year. I’m not aware of any Class VI that have been approved by LA DENR. It’s a multi-year process.

You sure the sequestration permit was approved?

I’m pretty sure they are drilling test wells under a Class V permit. The actual injection/sequestration would happen with a Class VI permit.

Class VI used to run through the EPA until the state of Louisiana was granted primacy earlier this year. I’m not aware of any Class VI that have been approved by LA DENR. It’s a multi-year process.
    Oh I don’t know if AP has their Class 6 approved, but they got the sequestration agreement from the surface owner (State of LA) and started conducting the seismic operations in Maurepas. I believe drilled an initial test well also.

Have any Class 6’s been approved in LA yet? I know several have been filed. Stream out of Calcasieu area is another CCS player as well in LA.

Oh I don’t know if AP has their Class 6 approved, but they got the sequestration agreement from the surface owner (State of LA) and started conducting the seismic operations in Maurepas. I believe drilled an initial test well also.

Have any Class 6’s been approved in LA yet? I know several have been filed. Stream out of Calcasieu area is another CCS player as well in LA.
    None have been approved. That’s what I was getting at…nothing has been approved yet, for anyone. And it’s going to be a while, I think.

Back to the original thought/post. We are still without power. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Same. Centerpoint put out a new map last night that is supposed to give dates and it shows my address restoration date as “pending review” heat hasn’t been to bad with rain but it also slows down the crews. I’m just thankful no damage to my house and my friends/families, with all the trees down we got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Dang. What part of Houston y’all in?

None have been approved. That’s what I was getting at…nothing has been approved yet, for anyone. And it’s going to be a while, I think.
    Dr. Mark Zappi (former Dean of Engineering) has an excellent talk prepared on CCS. He has given it at various functions throughout the state and it has been well received. He is an excellent speaker. People should contact him if they are a looking for a guest speaker at a meeting. Back to the so called oil field subsidies. Many projects would never get performed without the tax deductions associated with them as the economics would not meet requirements. That is less revenue available to the many service companies needed to perform the project. Less employees are then needed and that has a negative economic effect. That is different than a direct cash payment to an entity. The truth is the world will need ALL forms of energy for decades to come. The emergence of the economies in Asia and Africa make it so. That is why major companies invest in research of alternative forms while still exploring for and producing conventional forms.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Same. Centerpoint put out a new map last night that is supposed to give dates and it shows my address restoration date as “pending review” heat hasn’t been to bad with rain but it also slows down the crews. I’m just thankful no damage to my house and my friends/families, with all the trees down we got lucky.
    Same for us, pending review. Grateful, but still wish we had power.

Dang. What part of Houston y’all in?
    Kingwood

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst . 5 12 13 14 15

Thread Information