Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 11 . LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Beryl

Ragin' Cajuns Hurricane Beryl

I pray all my fellow Cajuns are safe. Down here in the Galveston area we are getting some steady hard wind and rain. Thanks ERCOT for no electricity, glad they spend all that money, billions, on infrastructure (too bad it was on stupid renewable crap and not upgrading the existing structure)!

Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

Going to be lots of generators running tonight and the next week

3. Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

Hopefully everyone is safe

We were without power for just today. The wind gusts topped out at 100 mph in Galveston.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Hurricane Beryl

Still in the dark here but my emergency window unit & generator are a saving grace! The wind gusts were very bad. Seen several storms roll thru but this one snapped ALOT of palm trees and oaks in half in my neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Fais do-do View Post
    I pray all my fellow Cajuns are safe. Down here in the Galveston area we are getting some steady hard wind and rain. Thanks ERCOT for no electricity, glad they spend all that money, billions, on infrastructure (too bad it was on stupid renewable crap and not upgrading the existing structure)!
    People all excited about UL and the solar farm. Hope there’s a backup plan, seen this first hand. Hurricane force winds and solar panels. No quick fix.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

7. Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

sunk cost the day those were put in

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    sunk cost the day those were put in
    But political animals always abound up front on projects like these, only to ghost the population when this happens. When Texas had the ice storm a few years ago, the green people turned invisible.

9. Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    But political animals always abound up front on projects like these, only to ghost the population when this happens. When Texas had the ice storm a few years ago, the green people turned invisible.
    I was including in the sunk cost the government subsidy which is paid up front and usually includes in the project some measure of upfront load or stipend for the manager of the project

like I said, sunk cost

10. Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/02.er-storm-2021/

Yeah, not green energy's fault. Maybe those 'political animals' screaming deregulation.

11. Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

People all excited about UL and the solar farm. Hope there’s a backup plan, seen this first hand. Hurricane force winds and solar panels. No quick fix.
    Most solar panels are wind rated for 100-140 mph winds. Some in PR worked in 150+ mph gusts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fais do-do View Post
    Nothing wrong with spending it SMARTLY on renewables, but agree spending on any technology without keeping the existing production and transmission in top working order is very foolish.

I invested in solar panels and Telsa Powerwalls at my house and I have had 100% uptime during this whole event. I have a new fence that will be getting installed thanks to Beryl and maybe a new AC unit as well. This was one of the most severe wind storms I have been and I have like on the Louisiana and Texas Gulf Coast since 1966.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tyme View Post
    https://www.texastribune.org/2022/02.er-storm-2021/

Yeah, not green energy's fault. Maybe those 'political animals' screaming deregulation.
    yeah,not green energy,you could just stop there actually

14. Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCajun View Post
    yeah,not green energy,you could just stop there actually
    Annnddd no actual thought. Expected.

15. Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Nothing wrong with spending it SMARTLY on renewables, but agree spending on any technology without keeping the existing production and transmission in top working order is very foolish.

I invested in solar panels and Telsa Powerwalls at my house and I have had 100% uptime during this whole event. I have a new fence that will be getting installed thanks to Beryl and maybe a new AC unit as well. This was one of the most severe wind storms I have been and I have like on the Louisiana and Texas Gulf Coast since 1966.
    The grid will always be the weak link, I think. Storage is a sticky problem too.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 11 . LastLast

Thread Information