Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Beryl

1. Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Key coastal areas are sinking but all across the board are billed mainly as sea levels rising.
    It's both and that's what makes it so troubling.

2. Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tyme View Post
    So were you, right? You asked what caused sea level change before the Anthropocene like it was something humans have no control over.
    Water water everywhere.

https://www.thebrighterside.news/pos.eans-combined/

https://www.sciencealert.com/scienti.f-the-us-coast

Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Zero carbon - no farming. No farming - no food. No food
    - no people. Simple as that, or are you looking forward to eating the bugs?

Replace Coal with Nuclear in the energy equation. Increase research funding into safer fertilizers. Create a global fund to increase potable water in the third world. Civil engineer smaller cities connected by much better public transport.

Just off the top of my head.

1) If you think everything we eat has to be farmed by tractors that create carbon emissions, I know many of our foods come from different sources. For instance, I can show you an aquaponics system in my shop where we farm crawfish and vegetables using a solar-powered system. That's just one example. There's also research into lab-grown meat and other innovative methods.

2) I agree that nuclear is a viable source, and I've also had success with solar, as mentioned above. However, the suggestions you're making involve moving away from oil and gas, which is the main focus of this debate.

I would love to continue the debate, but we will just have to agree to disagree and move on.

A 1 meter rise would be a major issue.
    We would adapt. Entire cities were engulfed by the seas thousands of years ago. Life goes on. The entirety of human existence has been dealing with climate change. It is a natural process that we need to accept.

5. Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    We would adapt. Entire cities were engulfed by the seas thousands of years ago. Life goes on. The entirety of human existence has been dealing with climate change. It is a natural process that we need to accept.
    Good news I went to Alexandria (because of something I read) and I am happy to report it is back above water.

Yall having fun? I just want my power back on, I don’t care which source it comes from.

But I am currently destroying the planet by running my generator for a few things !

So were you, right? You asked what caused sea level change before the Anthropocene like it was something humans have no control over.
    You really can't follow the logic here? I'll spell it out more clearly. . . Man made climate change is a farce and a scam.

8. Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Good news I went to Alexandria (because of something I read) and I am happy to report it is back above water.
    D.c., egypt or LA version?

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    Yall having fun? I just want my power back on, I don’t care which source it comes from.

But I am currently destroying the planet by running my generator for a few things !
    Man, I feel for you brother. No electricity and AC in the south in July is brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Man, I feel for you brother. No electricity and AC in the south in July is brutal.
    We got a window unit running. It’s tolerable in one room at a time!

Good to be back on the hurricane track

12. Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    We got a window unit running. It’s tolerable in one room at a time!
    . . . great minds think alike . . . sounds like we pretty have the same set up . . . I have a generator that can run my whole house except the AC (washer and dryer also but that is not needed) and have two 110 window AC units and fans to make temperature conditions tolerable . . . of course and a case of Budweiser . . .

Quote Originally Posted by fpc4life99 View Post
    To be clear I think maintaining a balanced approach in energy use is crucial. Oil and gas are integral to various industries beyond just energy production, including manufacturing, transportation, and petrochemicals for essential products like lubricants. Transitioning to renewable energy sources while optimizing efficiency and reducing environmental impacts in the oil and gas sector can help achieve a sustainable energy future. Striking this balance ensures that we meet current energy needs while responsibly planning for the future.
    Right.but, but, the "progressives" want us to stop using fossil fuels today. They don't understand the word "balance"in anything they do! It's all or nothing. You are all in, or you are OUT. Tough crowdand some of them actually do know a little of what they are spouting off about, but the rest are just trapped in an echo chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by fpc4life99 View Post
    The claim that human activities contribute only 6% to greenhouse gases, with the remaining 94% coming from natural sources, is not supported by current scientific consensus. According to NASA and other reputable sources, human activities, such as burning fossil fuels and deforestation, significantly contribute to greenhouse gas emissions, which have risen dramatically since the Industrial Revolution. These emissions are considered the primary driver of anthropogenic climate change.

NASA provides an overview of human activities and their impact on greenhouse gas emissions.
    NASA - Climate Change: How Do We Know?

The United Nations provides data and reports on global greenhouse gas emissions, including contributions from various sectors such as energy, industry, agriculture, and transportation.
    United Nations - Greenhouse Gas Emissions

The EPA details the sources of greenhouse gas emissions in the United States, including transportation, electricity production, industry, and more.
    EPA - Sources of Greenhouse Gas Emissions

The IPCC's latest assessment report provides comprehensive information on the human influence on the climate system, including greenhouse gas emissions and their impacts.
    IPCC - Climate Change 2021: The Physical Science Basis

While natural processes do emit greenhouse gases, human activities have intensified these emissions, leading to widespread environmental impacts. Environmental efforts often prioritize reducing human-induced emissions because they are within our control and can be mitigated through policy and technological advancements.

Regarding the focus on reducing human-induced emissions versus natural sources like increasing Earth's albedo or planting more trees, environmental strategies often incorporate a combination of approaches. Planting trees and enhancing Earth's albedo are indeed part of broader climate solutions aimed at carbon sequestration and mitigating the heat-absorbing effects of greenhouse gases.

Concerning nuclear energy, opinions vary within the environmental community. Some support nuclear energy as a low-carbon alternative to fossil fuels, while others raise concerns about safety, waste disposal, and environmental impacts associated with nuclear power plants.

Innovative technologies like the Eavor-Loop, a closed-loop geothermal energy extraction system developed by Eavor Technologies, represent promising alternatives in the transition to renewable energy. Such technologies contribute to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by harnessing sustainable energy sources.
    You lost me when you referred to United Nations data.

15. Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Right.but, but, the "progressives" want us to stop using fossil fuels today. They don't understand the word "balance"in anything they do! It's all or nothing. You are all in, or you are OUT. Tough crowdand some of them actually do know a little of what they are spouting off about, but the rest are just trapped in an echo chamber.
    I don't think that is accurate. I'm sure some are, just like others are in the "NO alternate energy at all" camp.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . LastLast

Thread Information