Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst . 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Beryl

Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tyme View Post
    As a part time rocket scientist do you not think it is strange that when evidence is presented that is contrary to one's beliefs they immediately look for some nefarious plot? Like ALL of these scientists for ALL of these years are just completely controlled by Soros or China or Big Solar or whoever. Is there something specific and systematic that one can point to in all of the UN funded research that would make one completely disavow everything? When evidence is presented that shows the global temps (oceanic and atmospheric) are increasing at the fastest rates in 100 or so years and some people just cover their ears and eyes and blame Obummer or Al Gore and the other elites?
    There is a segment of today's society, a very vocal one, that would have absolutely refused to look through Galileo's telescope.
    FIFY

2. Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    FIFY
    Did you though?

3. Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

vic-You remind me of Terrance Howard, the guy who has figured out 'new math' or something where he 'proves' that 1x1 is actually 2. He says a lot of words that make zero sense except in his own head. Except that Howard is more verbose and probably makes more sense.
    1 x 1 = 1

I have always ascribed to the old math, in fact I went to rally in math all 4 years in High School and placed 1st each year

sorry I have absolutely no faith in ANY of the climate change so called scientists

or in anything that any of them preach, proclaim or say

in fact, I’m not really sure any of it actually qualifies as science or that they are in reality scientists

4. Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    1 x 1 = 1

I have always ascribed to the old math, in fact I went to rally in math all 4 years in High School and placed 1st each year

sorry I have absolutely no faith in ANY of the climate change so called scientists

in fact, I’m not really sure any of it actually qualifies as science or that they are in reality scientists
    I am jealous of anyone who can totally ignore facts and evidence and just create their own reality to the exclusion of everything logical. Kudos man. Well done.

I am jealous of anyone who can totally ignore facts and evidence and just create their own reality to the exclusion of everything logical.
    You mustn’t watch the evening news eh?

I am jealous of anyone who can totally ignore facts and evidence and just create their own reality to the exclusion of everything logical. Kudos man. Well done.
    Many climate predictions are based upon computer modeling. I used computer modeling to predict performance of oil and gas reservoirs in my days as an engineer in the energy industry. I learned a key there is requiring a good history match. If you look at the history of the climate predictions, you will see the match is very poor. Go back and look at the gloom and doom predictions of the 80's and 90's which never came to pass. Those were based upon models as well. I grant that the technology today has improved and may be more accurate. However, the question of what to do about the climate is a difficult one. Whatever we do in the US is immaterial when you consider what is going on in Asia. They are still building coal plants galore there while understanding that going to natural gas is probably in their best interest. That is where some of the big discoveries of Australia are being marketed to via LNG. It is foolish to try to pause this like the Biden administration is doing now. As far as electric cars go, I am all for them as long as they are not mandated. The Biden administration can claim all day they are not mandating them but their tailpipe emissions requirements in effect is a mandate. This is a foolish policy as consumers will simply keep their ICE vehicles longer and many of those are not very energy efficient. It may cripple the auto manufacturing business as people will simply not buy new cars without the freedom to buy what they prefer. Electric vehicles would be a disaster when trying to evacuate for hurricanes or in the post hurricane days.

7. Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Many climate predictions are based upon computer modeling. I used computer modeling to predict performance of oil and gas reservoirs in my days as an engineer in the energy industry. I learned a key there is requiring a good history match. If you look at the history of the climate predictions, you will see the match is very poor. Go back and look at the gloom and doom predictions of the 80's and 90's which never came to pass. Those were based upon models as well. I grant that the technology today has improved and may be more accurate. However, the question of what to do about the climate is a difficult one. Whatever we do in the US is immaterial when you consider what is going on in Asia. They are still building coal plants galore there while understanding that going to natural gas is probably in their best interest. That is where some of the big discoveries of Australia are being marketed to via LNG. It is foolish to try to pause this like the Biden administration is doing now. As far as electric cars go, I am all for them as long as they are not mandated. The Biden administration can claim all day they are not mandating them but their tailpipe emissions requirements in effect is a mandate. This is a foolish policy as consumers will simply keep their ICE vehicles longer and many of those are not very energy efficient. It may cripple the auto manufacturing business as people will simply not buy new cars without the freedom to buy what they prefer. Electric vehicles would be a disaster when trying to evacuate for hurricanes or in the post hurricane days.
    so you okay being taxed so the subsidies to build and develop electric vehicles can be paid . . . and what we going to do with all those batteries when they eventually go bad . . . sorry, it’s not just evacuations for hurricanes . . .

so you okay being taxed so the subsidies to build and develop electric vehicles can be paid . . . and what we going to do with all those batteries when they eventually go bad . . . sorry, it’s not just evacuations for hurricanes . . .
    There are some auto salvage yards in Louisiana (and I’d guess in other states too) that will not take EV vehicles because of the risk of soil contamination and the threat of Louisiana’s love of legacy lawsuits.

9. Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

1 x 1 = 1

Wow! Impressive.

I am OK with electric cars but not subsidies. People say the oil and gas industry gets subsidies. In actuality, they can tax deductions for investments made (something I know a lot about as I focused on project economics for much of my career). No investment, no deduction. Many of the climate projects get actual subsidies.

11. Default Re: Hurricane Beryl

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post
    Wow! Impressive.
    not looking to impress . . . just looking to keep the playing field level . . .

I am OK with electric cars but not subsidies. People say the oil and gas industry gets subsidies. In actuality, they can tax deductions for investments made (something I know a lot about as I focused on project economics for much of my career). No investment, no deduction. Many of the climate projects get actual subsidies.
    Cajunsmike knows the difference between a tax break and a subsidy.

Many of the voting populous does not, unfortunately, and politicians and media switch the two around all the time to fit their agendas.

Our power grid can BARELY handle the current energy needs for our population, housing, transportation and industry needs. Just imagine what would happen if even 50% of households and apartment complexes had their occupants charging vehicles around the clock. All while many of the same segment pushing for banning ICE vehicles are also in favor of banning fossil fuel exploration and production.

I have no problem with us trying to be cleaner. Industry is making great strides, including the oil & gas and petrochem industries, in this arena. Some may say "Well what took them so long?", but those same folks may also need to consider that you can't overnight scale up new cleaner technologies in these industries without increased costs being passed on to the consumer.

We should strive to be greener, but we have to do it in a responsible way that doesn't stifle energy production growth at a time when our energy needs continue to grow. That is just as reckless and irresponsible as if we'd revert back to the old Evangeline oilfield boom days of just letting all the produced saltwater from oil wells run all over the surface and discharged into bayous.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Cajunsmike knows the difference between a tax break and a subsidy.

Many of the voting populous does not, unfortunately, and politicians and media switch the two around all the time to fit their agendas.
    While they operate differently, wouldn't both ultimately impact taxpayers by reducing potential tax revenue or requiring direct expenditure?

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst . 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information