Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread: Advocate: Telling It Like it is.

1. Default Re: Telling It Like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    Kids get a free education. The idiots are the fools willing to give them more so they can feel like winners, by proxy. I will never understand that.
    kids get what they can earn under set existing rules . . . when the USSC said there will be no rules on what they can earn, they playing by those rules . . . sorry that you liked the suppression of the NCAA better . . . it’s just not like that anymore . . .

2. Default Re: Telling It Like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    I just read where a SBC school raised $340,000 + with a "Legneds Gala" this weekend.
    That's a big money tree.
    What is a Legneds Gala . . . sounds like a let’s go Brandon type fundraiser . . .

Default Re: Telling It Like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    kids get what they can earn under set existing rules . . . when the USSC said there will be no rules on what they can earn, they playing by those rules . . . sorry that you liked the suppression of the NCAA better . . . it’s just not like that anymore . . .
    I really don't give a ____ because I won't be participating.

4. Default Re: Telling It Like it is.

I really don't give a ____ because I won't be participating.
    hey, and that is perfectly ok . . . as grown adults we all do on a day by day basis what floats our boat . . . but condemning a system neither you or they can change and taking it out on those with Louisiana across their chest is probably not appropriate . . .

hey, and that is perfectly ok . . . as grown adults we all do on a day by day basis what floats our boat . . . but condemning a system neither you or they can change and taking it out on those with Louisiana across their chest is probably not appropriate . . .
    I'm not taking it out on the kids: I hope idiots give them millions.

6. Default Re: Telling It Like it is.

I'm not taking it out on the kids: I hope idiots give them millions.
    Okaaaayyyyy . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    When you are flat out paying a kid to play, it is no longer Name, Image, Likeness.

It’s semi pro sports.
    Agree.

8. Default Re: Telling It Like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    Recently read where the Ohio St athletic director stated they will be needing to reduce funding in several sports then reallocate those savings into certain sports' players to ensure they compete at the highest levels. This from a university with one of the highest athletic department budgets in the country. The athletic department leaders must decide in order to fully fund women's softball at higher levels, what other women's sports funding is decreased? Same question goes for men's sports. Painful but necessary. Some things gotta give.
    This article explores what you're referencing: https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co.dget-shortfall

This is just the beginning of the new era of collegiate athletics. With NIL and revenue sharing the question becomes how much money it will take to get the athletes necessary to field a championship caliber team for one season. Money from collectives, athletic foundations, and private equity firms. The financial gymnastics necessary for a trophy are about to become overwhelming.

Going forward, championships will not be won they will be bought. Hell, we are almost there now!

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    Going forward, championships will not be won they will be bought. Hell, we are almost there now!
    Coaches will try to buy players. If that is all you do then it will never work.

11. Default Re: Telling It Like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post
    Coaches will try to buy players. If that is all you do then it will never work.
    so, what will work . . .

I actually think majority of fans will ultimately change this current system.

Before NIL was implemented, major dollars were already being dumped into programs - whether you're talking P5 or G5 schools. I just don't see a long term future where both athletic programs and NIL initiatives can both be funded at the same rate.

I'm willing to bet long term something will have to give.

13. Default Re: Telling It Like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    I actually think majority of fans will ultimately change this current system.

Before NIL was implemented, major dollars were already being dumped into programs - whether you're talking P5 or G5 schools. I just don't see a long term future where both athletic programs and NIL initiatives can both be funded at the same rate.

I'm willing to bet long term something will have to give.
    before NIL, athletes were being paid by the bag man. All that money plus many more is now available to be circulated over the table via NIL . . .

I heard the story from a local aTm supporter how he was in charge of placing an envelope every week with 5 $100 bills in an envelope and leaving it in the top desk drawer of a local running back from New Iberia . . . he was the bag man for that player

before NIL, athletes were being paid by the bag man. All that money plus many more is now available to be circulated over the table via NIL . . .

I heard the story from a local aTm supporter how he was in charge of placing an envelope every week with 5 $100 bills in an envelope and leaving it in the top desk drawer of a local running back from New Iberia . . . he was the bag man for that player
    That is a fair point.

That leaves me to the following conclusion: either UL was not participating in under the table deals OR we were and there should still be (relatively) same amount of funds available to pay players.

If we weren't participating before & every other school was, we shouldn't see drop in performance.

15. Default Re: Telling It Like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    That is a fair point.

That leaves me to the following conclusion: either UL was not participating in under the table deals OR we were and there should still be (relatively) same amount of funds available to pay players.

If we weren't participating before & every other school was, we shouldn't see drop in performance.
    I believe the amount of participation across the board has always been fluid and that there is or was no way to reasonably or accurately quantify and infer from one year to the next what was or what is available in that arena and that goes from the likes of aTm, LSU and Ohio St all the way down to the likes of McNeese (case in point Wade and basketball this year), UNO and SouthEastern . . .

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread Information