Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread: Advocate: Telling It Like it is.

Default Re: Telling It Like it is.

It's unsustainable at this rate. And I don't mean just financially.

2. Default Re: Telling It Like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    It's unsustainable at this rate. And I don't mean just financially.
    . . . so why don't you just tell us what you mean . . .

You know what's funny as hell?

All the people who cry & scream about the need for free enterprise & capitalism in every single area of our lives are the ones ____ing, moaning & crying about the effects of NIL the most.

I have a novel idea, but it would take something most leaders in this country don't have any of any more. It would take integrity & discipline.

Why doesn't a conference like the sunbelt for example, get together & pass a pay for play set of rules where they pay ALL of their participating athletes from the least to the greatest a set rate of pay based upon the hours they participate in study & practice, weight room etc. up to a maximum of so many hours per week & only compete with themselves, or other conferences who will agree to the same set up? Who gives a crap about national titles now? They mean nothing any more except that the highest paid athletes with the highest paid coaches & the best facilities get to compete for those things. this cuts out over 80% of competing schools from the get go. Why do these other 80% not form their own alliance & refuse to play the other 20% forcing them into cannibalising each other? It would take a while & true commitment & discipline from every participating school's leaders & administrators. But it is the ONLY way to combat the insanity of NIL. There simply is no other way.

7. Default Re: Telling It Like it is.

My love for UL sports revolves around the "equity" I have in UL as an alumni. I was motivated to give to the program to ensure we can offer a free education and even full cost of attendance stipend. I won't ever donate to an NIL collective just the same way I would never donate to Planned Parenthood and both for the same reason: their mission is abhorrent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TammanyCajun View Post
    My love for UL sports revolves around the "equity" I have in UL as an alumni. I was motivated to give to the program to ensure we can offer a free education and even full cost of attendance stipend. I won't ever donate to an NIL collective just the same way I would never donate to Planned Parenthood and both for the same reason: their mission is abhorrent to me.
    If I had a business to advertise and was as much a fan of the program as I am, then I would gladly sponsor a student-athlete, and for compensation, utilize their NAME, LIKENESS and/or IMAGE for advertisement amongst Acadiana and the Cajuns fanbase. That is, after all, was NIL was supposed to be. The athlete would be able to make money doing advertisement type stuff, or signing autographs/jerseys for people willing to pay, or even now be able to advertise for hitting lessons, etc., without having to worry about NCAA Compliance.

But it's instead very much become pay for play, though that's what we're told it wasn't going to be. I will never participate in simple pay for play. Sorry, not sorry.

9. Default Re: Telling It Like it is.

every person contributing to NIL has the full right to set their own terms

that does not mean that others have to do the same

NIL is annual free agency. I can't name 1 major sport where free agency payouts in the past 50 years have decreased. I don't see a top to NIL payouts. If anything, this current level is just the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    before NIL, athletes were being paid by the bag man. All that money plus many more is now available to be circulated over the table via NIL . . .

I heard the story from a local aTm supporter how he was in charge of placing an envelope every week with 5 $100 bills in an envelope and leaving it in the top desk drawer of a local running back from New Iberia . . . he was the bag man for that player
    I would expect such a story from a Tiger fan after that massive failure due to a TSAB booster and legal authorities got involved in that recruitment. I’m sure you know all the details.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I would expect such a story from a Tiger fan after that massive failure due to a TSAB booster and legal authorities got involved in that recruitment. I’m sure you know all the details.
    At least then USL got ~10 years of donations during his exile from BR.

13. Default Re: Telling It Like it is.

you appear to have zoom zoomed off your rocker and are heading to the let’s go Brandon level

14. Default Re: Telling It Like it is.

Was the new iberia potential SEC student able to open the drawer and/or find the envelopes.
    See also: "hmmm no stamp, i better send it back"

15. Default Re: Telling It Like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post
    Was the new iberia potential SEC student able to open the drawer and/or find the envelopes.
    See also: "hmmm no stamp, i better send it back"
    . . . yes and it became routine like Pavlov’s dog . . .

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread Information