Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Adapt or we will die

1. Default Re: Adapt or we will die

Quote Originally Posted by CajunsHat View Post
    PT degree is a doctoral program, unlikely to earn doctoral degree for cost of MBA or even a law degree from a state public school for that matter.
    LSUS is about $25,000 less than Franciscan in tuition over the three years

2. Default Re: Adapt or we will die

It always seems like too high a majority of athletes are majoring in kinesiology. What becomes of them? Is it the same career field, does it lead to PT school? Clearly not a large pct of them are going on.

Default Re: Adapt or we will die

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post
    It always seems like too high a majority of athletes are majoring in kinesiology. What becomes of them? Is it the same career field, does it lead to PT school? Clearly not a large pct of them are going on.
    High school coach

4. Default Re: Adapt or we will die

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    High school coach
    high school or college trainer

Kinesiology has several paths…not all are gonna be teachers, and not all will go to PT school.

PE teachers have to major in education and go through same steps as any other teacher, of which just happen to be kinesiology major as well (same thing as majoring in Music Education…music teachers)

Kinesiology majors can go to get masters degree in exercise physiology, doctoral of physical therapy / occupational therapy, various other health/wellness fields (wellness director position), athletic training, strength / conditioning coaches, personal trainers, and honestly more to be honest.

It’s a diverse bachelors degree which is good to have options.

Myself, I went back to school for nursing.

So don’t knock kinesiology by saying everyone is goin just to be PE teachers.

6. Default Re: Adapt or we will die

What becomes of them? I'd say a significant number never finish their degree requirements. Getting an opportunity to play collegiate athletics comes with a monikor, "student-athlete." Those that get the right guidance and advice from others will push themselves to be the best they can be as both an athlete and student. There are no guarantees an athlete will make it past the collegeiate level. A student that chooses wisely when selecting a major will earn a degree that can put them on a path to financial security.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    What becomes of them? I'd say a significant number never finish their degree requirements. Getting an opportunity to play collegiate athletics comes with a monikor, "student-athlete." Those that get the right guidance and advice from others will push themselves to be the best they can be as both an athlete and student. There are no guarantees an athlete will make it past the collegeiate level. A student that chooses wisely when selecting a major will earn a degree that can put them on a path to financial security.
    This dude gets it.

8. Default Re: Adapt or we will die

It should be the same analysis that any college student seeking an undergraduate diploma as a prerequisite for a post graduate special occupational degree . . . medical school, law school, PT school, chiropractic school should apply . . . I always advise that you may not get in, once you are in you may not like it, circumstances may change where you really can’t afford to attend another 3 or more years of school (pregnancy, death of a person providing support, costs rising to an amount not expected, etc.), so choose wisely when selecting a major for your undergraduate degree, select one that you will earn a degree and that can put you on a path to financial security if that ends up being your final degree. Instead of pre law, general studies or history, get a business degree (preferably accounting), engineering degree, nursing degree, science degree, etc.

9. Default Re: Adapt or we will die

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    High school coach
    How does kinesiology differ from education majors? Wouldnt education major lead to teaching license, does kinesiology also?

10. Default Re: Adapt or we will die

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    This dude gets it.
    But do the athletes/NIL recipients

11. Default Re: Adapt or we will die

Kinesiology has several paths…not all are gonna be teachers, and not all will go to PT school.

PE teachers have to major in education and go through same steps as any other teacher, of which just happen to be kinesiology major as well (same thing as majoring in Music Education…music teachers)

Kinesiology majors can go to get masters degree in exercise physiology, doctoral of physical therapy / occupational therapy, various other health/wellness fields (wellness director position), athletic training, strength / conditioning coaches, personal trainers, and honestly more to be honest.

It’s a diverse bachelors degree which is good to have options.

Myself, I went back to school for nursing.

So don’t knock kinesiology by saying everyone is goin just to be PE teachers.
    Thank you. I like that it has options. I didnt think i knocked it.
    The thing that i am curious about though is the # of spots. Most majors limit those that can enter, class full, i had assumed it also factors in the job market (but maybe not), number of sections/teachers, etc.
    I remember nursing used to really limit those moving on to junior year. If it does sound like a knock it is my impression of the large number of athletes in the major. A. That that many are actually interested in it and b. The other things mentioned. Makes it look like a hiding ground for athletes, recommended by coach, for possible easy classes??

12. Default Re: Adapt or we will die

Not sure if the classes are in and around bourgeois/athletic complex which could make for another reason but not a sound academic reason

How does kinesiology differ from education majors? Wouldnt education major lead to teaching license, does kinesiology also?
    Kinesiology has an educational path, kinesiology is actually under the “college of education”

Not sure if the classes are in and around bourgeois/athletic complex which could make for another reason but not a sound academic reason
    It came off as knock by simply assuming people major in kinesiology to be PE teacher. When I’d say majority do not.

90% of classes are in bourgeois, the word kinesiology means “study of movement” so it encompasses so many pathways for graduates

The admissions for PT school is competitive, most of my classmates had 3.8 gpa or higher who went to PT. Also I’ve had some friends go to chiropractor.

Anything in healthcare is always competitive, however also diverse with numerous job opportunities when finishing schooling.

I don’t know anyone unemployed or “looking for work” with a healthcare background.

15. Default Re: Adapt or we will die

It came off as knock by simply assuming people major in kinesiology to be PE teacher. When I’d say majority do not.

90% of classes are in bourgeois, the word kinesiology means “study of movement” so it encompasses so many pathways for graduates

The admissions for PT school is competitive, most of my classmates had 3.8 gpa or higher who went to PT. Also I’ve had some friends go to chiropractor.

Anything in healthcare is always competitive, however also diverse with numerous job opportunities when finishing schooling.

I don’t know anyone unemployed or “looking for work” with a healthcare background.
    Thanks. Dont think the knock post you reference was me.
    So do you think too many athletes are in it, what is the undergrad acceptance rate.
    should those without high enough gpa change major to make room for other students that have a true interest?
    Does this major have more expenses, equipment, lab etc? I.e. we are actually losing money if scholarship athletes are in it but would cost less in another book only major?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information