Thread: Softball Recruiting Question

Default Softball Recruiting Question

For those in the know, especially you Mark, do you think having a female head coach will make a difference in recruiting?

My gut tells me yes, but no real data to back it up.

Obviously OU has been dominant with Gasso, but you have go back to 2015, when Florida went back-to-back with Tim Walton, to have a male head coach win it all.

Default Re: Softball Recruiting Question

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    For those in the know, especially you Mark, do you think having a female head coach will make a difference in recruiting?

Obviously OU has been dominant with Gasso, but you have go back to 2015, when Florida went back-to-back with Tim Walton, to have a male head coach win it all.
    I think overall females coaches relate better to female athletes especially with off the field issues and the age gap in players versus coaches means something. An open line of communication helps everyone be more honest with one another, which leads to stronger training, athletic progress and personal growth. I believe a female is more motivational and encouraging than a male.

3. Default Re: Softball Recruiting Question

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post
    I think overall females coaches relate better to female athletes especially with off the field issues and the age gap in players versus coaches means something.
    JMV great points here. It's not just coaching them in a sport, its helping them navigate the challenges they face in life. Those challenges have changed significantly and at times it can be difficult for some of us to relate to those challenges as we age.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    JMV great points here. It's not just coaching them in a sport, its helping them navigate the challenges they face in life. Those challenges have changed significantly and at times it can be difficult for some of us to relate to those challenges as we age.
    So maybe doesn't help with recruiting, but does help in getting the most out of them once they are on campus.

So maybe doesn't help with recruiting, but does help in getting the most out of them once they are on campus.
    I think it helps with recruiting when the are comfortable with that person.

6. Default Re: Softball Recruiting Question

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post
    I think it helps with recruiting when the are comfortable with that person.
    kinda similar with a man

Better question is do new recruits prefer the travel ball style spend money coaches or the old school grow the sport style coaches

Well, now there is no doubt who the alpha female is.

Overall, no it doesn’t make a difference. That’s not to say it is not a consideration in the pro/con list. But there are, generally, too many other factors more important to recruits and their families.

I would say $$, playing time, “fit,”resources, geography, program stability are generally the bigger concerns.

Again, that’s in general. For a few, certainly could be.

Personally, with my daughter who is a middle schooler playing for her HS, I think it’s much more important (younger kids).

10. Default Re: Softball Recruiting Question

I didn’t understand a word she said . . .

there is no doubt that there are things about women that only a woman can fully understand . . .

11. Default Re: Softball Recruiting Question

Thread Information