Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: UH athletic director

Default Re: UH athletic director

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    UH has a president (woman) who understands the importance of athletics to the university and it alumni. She has moved the university in an upward trajectory academically and athletically and now has them in the Big 12. Our president has done great things academically and with our campus, but athletics has been left to relative mediocrity at the G5 level with no understanding of the importance of athletics to the brand of the university that moves the needle with its alumni and fans or an unwillingness to do so.
    I believe he’s more interested in the WOKE culture and nerds , than Athletics. He has beautified this campus tremendously and I salute him, but driving thru campus is like driving thru a ghost town, I don’t see the large number of students walking thru campus regularly

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Good bye NIT
    NIT was already gone, lol. Any further downsizing of nit is a p5 esting p5 situation.
    In 2023 g5 had only 1 auto bid to nit and in 2024 zero.
    Meanwhile for p4/5/6? Autobids went from 0 to 11
    And total teams in 23 for g5 there were 6, and big boys had 14, then in 2024 g5 just 5 with big boys up to 17

Good bye NIT
    That was my first thought. Wouldn’t be a terrible thing as they are pushing back on non p4 too.

Good bye NIT
    Reality is the NIT lost its luster years ago.

The only people who really care about it are the teams in it.

In the hey day of USL basketball, NIT meant Not In Tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    UH has a president (woman) who understands the importance of athletics to the university and it alumni. She has moved the university in an upward trajectory academically and athletically and now has them in the Big 12. Our president has done great things academically and with our campus, but athletics has been left to relative mediocrity at the G5 level with no understanding of the importance of athletics to the brand of the university that moves the needle with its alumni and fans or an unwillingness to do so.
    I Agree, wish it were different.

7. Default Re: UH athletic director

I disagree. The UH President, who has done an excellent job there, had a lot of help from Tilman to move their athletic program forward - a lot of help! I we had a supporter with the resources of TF that would donate to the UL, we would probably be in a P5 conference also. To say that Dr. Savoie has no understanding of the importance of athletics to the brand of the university is being disingenuous. It's not a lack of understanding, it is a lack of money that is holding us back.

8. Default Re: UH athletic director

Quote Originally Posted by WestUCajun View Post
    The UH President, who has done an excellent job there, had a lot of help from Tilman to move their athletic program forward - a lot of help! I we had a supporter with the resources of TF that would donate to the UL, we would probably be in a P5 conference also. To say that Dr. Savoie has no understanding of the importance of athletics to the brand of the university is being disingenuous. It's not a lack of understanding, it is a lack of money that is holding us back.
    All true

I disagree. The UH President, who has done an excellent job there, had a lot of help from Tilman to move their athletic program forward - a lot of help! I we had a supporter with the resources of TF that would donate to the UL, we would probably be in a P5 conference also. To say that Dr. Savoie has no understanding of the importance of athletics to the brand of the university is being disingenuous. It's not a lack of understanding, it is a lack of money that is holding us back.
    The UH President had a commitment to athletics long before Ferreira came along. He helped speed things up and put UH in a position to join a P5 conference.

Have to ask why we don't have the resources. We failed to cultivate any traditions with our students, alumni and locals following of athletics over the years then alienated the public to the point of diminished support. Why don't fans attend our games? Why aren't the basic questions asked and answered that might turn this around? We do that on this board constantly but does the athletic dept? Who is head of RCAF fund raising? Does anyone know who this invisible person is? Is there any interest in addressing why support has dwindled down? It remains business as usual, happy to be in the Sun Belt and calling ourselves an FBS school. The so called sleeping giant remains in constant hibernation.

10. Default Re: UH athletic director

that type of money tree seems to elude us

we managed to find three magnanimous donors with naming rights to specific stadiums

it will be interesting to see if we can at least find enough money trees to support NIL in the different sports

apparently Des has found at least some to remain relevant

we hear that Deggs is beating the bushes to remain relevant

hopefully that same help can come to Allison as T indicated so softball can remain relevant

If Softball fans don’t support Alyson, won’t support anyone. Will be interesting to see.

12. Default Re: UH athletic director

I was specifically addressing the statement about Dr. Savoie. The academic side has grown thanks to a large part of the work done by Dr. Kolluru and the Deans of the various departments. The head of the RCAF is Trey Frazier. The RCAF has directors that raise money - Trevor Starcher Associate AD/Sr. Director of Development, David Schexnayder Director of Development and Jared Del Rosario, Associate Director of Development. These are the ones currently with the responsibility of fundraising. I don't know what has been done to address fan apathy or what will be effective. Personally, the few people I have spoken to have said that past lack of success is the reason they aren't interested. when I point out that we have had success in football, baseball, and softball, their comeback is yes but football isn't consistent and doesn't have a history of winning championships and baseball and softball doesn't interest them. Another thing, the athletic budget deficit that was covered by the foundation ( an example of UL Admin's commitment to athletics) but has to be eventually paid back, has hindered the ability of the athletic department to do more than fundraise for capital improvements. Hopefully the new stadium and facilities bring in more money so we can do more fan engagement.

I was specifically addressing the statement about Dr. Savoie. The academic side has grown thanks to a large part of the work done by Dr. Kolluru and the Deans of the various departments. The head of the RCAF is Trey Frazier. The RCAF has directors that raise money - Trevor Starcher Associate AD/Sr. Director of Development, David Schexnayder Director of Development and Jared Del Rosario, Associate Director of Development. These are the ones currently with the responsibility of fundraising. I don't know what has been done to address fan apathy or what will be effective. Personally, the few people I have spoken to have said that past lack of success is the reason they aren't interested. when I point out that we have had success in football, baseball, and softball, their comeback is yes but football isn't consistent and doesn't have a history of winning championships and baseball and softball doesn't interest them. Another thing, the athletic budget deficit that was covered by the foundation ( an example of UL Admin's commitment to athletics) but has to be eventually paid back, has hindered the ability of the athletic department to do more than fundraise for capital improvements. Hopefully the new stadium and facilities bring in more money so we can do more fan engagement.
    We have people soliciting funds for athletics. Issue is we don't have enough people in our fanbase with the financial resources or inclination to make a significant difference. People we have asking are told no very frequently. That does not mean efforts should cease. In fact, it simply means we need to work harder. Perhaps all the new ticket sellers we recently hired can make an impact going forward.

14. Default Re: UH athletic director

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    We have people soliciting funds for athletics. Issue is we don't have enough people in our fanbase with the financial resources or inclination to make a significant difference. People we have asking are told no very frequently. That does not mean efforts should cease. In fact, it simply means we need to work harder. Perhaps all the new ticket sellers we recently hired can make an impact going forward.
    i have not received one call from "fundraisers" to contribute to anything!

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan96 View Post
    i have not received one call from "fundraisers" to contribute to anything!
    You are not alone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information