Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 . LastLast

Thread: UL Softball

Default Re: UL Softball

Good perspective from the AD. New landscape of athletics will make this a difficult and critical decision if Coach decides to leave. I believe Cajuns will be fine.

https://x.com/maggardb/status/180375.M37qe9RtvNiypA

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Agree. If he does, he's doing it knowing full well how much he's going to hurt this program and it's loyal fan base. That would change perceptions of his character and the type of person we thought he was.
    It shouldn’t change anyone’s perception of who he is. By all accounts, a very good man.

I hope he stays. But if he leaves, he has to act in the best interests of his new employer.

3. Default Re: UL Softball

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Agree. If he does, he's doing it knowing full well how much he's going to hurt this program and it's loyal fan base. That would change perceptions of his character and the type of person we thought he was.
    that is every single coach who makes a change . . . so, once a coach takes a job at any place, he becomes an indentured servant to that place and it’s financial limitations . . . folks, this is America . . . home of the FREE and land of the BRAVE . . .

It would be hard to believe that Glasco would not have his mind made up if the story is out there. "His answer comes Thursday." If he was being courted and not leaving, why put the story out there unless it's to put pressure on your current employer to keep you here?

Anyway, if he goes, the program is still in good shape. It's a still a destination. I can imagine Maggard has a list and it'll be a good one.

When Lotief was fired 2 months before the start of the 2018 season, that was very grim. We lost our star players to other programs (thanks, Mike.) So much uncertainty.

Glasco came in and kept us competitive plus some. Conference regular season and/or tournament champs every year in a conference that is much better than it was in 2017. Regional finals in every year, 1 regional championship, 1 top 16 seed, no super wins though.

Maybe the next coach can get us to take that extra step Glasco was inching towards.

.and he gone.

Thanks for not waiting all day to increase the suspense.

Of course he has his personal reasons. Financial too? Almost a certainty. But program wise, this is a step down.

Appreciate him keeping the program going. But this is a business. Safe travels. Don't pillage our program. Schedule us down the line so we can beat you.

6. Default Re: UL Softball

Glasco is 65 years old. I am sure that if he is going to TT, it is because they doubled (or more) his salary. I would say that the driving factor for him leaving would be financial security. Probably also got some commitments to upgrade facilities. He knows that he isn't going to win the WCWS at TT for at least the first 3 years he is there. I do know that the Texas Tech softball program signed an NIL deal with its booster program (the Matador Club) a couple of years ago in which every player on the program gets a five figure NIL deal. That type of money definitely helps to get above average recruits to your program, especially when you have a top tier recruiter like Glasco making the pitch. I wish coach the best if he does actually leave the UL program.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hemphill View Post
    Glasco is 65 years old. I am sure that if he is going to TT, it is because they doubled (or more) his salary. I would say that the driving factor for him leaving would be financial security. Probably also got some commitments to upgrade facilities. He knows that he isn't going to win the WCWS at TT for at least the first 3 years he is there. I do know that the Texas Tech softball program signed an NIL deal with its booster program (the Matador Club) a couple of years ago in which every player on the program gets a five figure NIL deal. That type of money definitely helps to get above average recruits to your program, especially when you have a top tier recruiter like Glasco making the pitch. I wish coach the best if he does actually leave the UL program.
    He accepted the job.

Hopefully its not someone on the staff that gets the job.

9. Default Re: UL Softball

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Hopefully its not someone on the staff that gets the job.
    probably don’t have anyone left that has been coaching long enough like we had for football

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post
    And even those individual achievements are not always apples to apples look at how hard pete rose railed against japanese baseball in order to keep his record and diminish the accomplishments of Ichiro, yet now a new japanese pitcher leaves a sub par japanese team to head to the north side of chicage and is utterly dominating. See also the two way star out in california all of this after a gold medal performance in olympics by the japanese. Rose was wrong, well at least he had something in common with Les Myles who is now sueing to get in to the hall of fame, two peas in a pod.
    Meanwhile Josh Gibson passed Ty Cobb as the Major League baseball Batting Leader and Satchel Paige is working on passing Nolan Ryan for all-time MLB no hitters as we speak. Amazing times.

To stay a bit more on topic, college sports in general is just is not the institution most of us grew up with. Sometimes things change for the worse and sometimes the better, as a fan these are not the best of times.

We're in the Sunbelt. P4 money will poach excellent SBC coaches from time to time. While Glasco's departure is nothing to celebrate we shouldn't be all that surprised since he's been dominating the SBC during his tenure. If Coach Bob Marlin was riding roughshod all over SBC basketball every year, he'd have been poached by a P4 school several years ago.

It is what it is. Coach Glasco, while did continue our winning tradition never got us to the WCWS again which is where we need to be. The only problem I have with it is we know he will take players with him out the door and it opens our transfer portal for our players again. How long will the portal be open for our players now?
    Pretty sure his darling pitcher, Sam Landry, will be going with him.

Get a good coach, reload and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    It is what it is. Coach Glasco, while did continue our winning tradition never got us to the WCWS again which is where we need to be. The only problem I have with it is we know he will take players with him out the door and it opens our transfer portal for our players again. How long will the portal be open for our players now?
    Pretty sure his darling pitcher, Sam Landry, will be going with him.

Get a good coach, reload and move on.
    Sam has one year left. Why would she go to a program that will probably not make the postseason?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hemphill View Post
    Glasco was making $170,000 plus incentives for performance. I'm hearing he was offered $160,000 by Texas Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    Glasco was making $170,000 plus incentives for performance. I'm hearing he was offered $160,000 by Texas Tech.
    So was this NIL related?

Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 . LastLast

Thread Information