Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst . 24 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 44 . LastLast

Thread: Glasco leaving

Default Re: UL Softball

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    I know it is what it is with this NIL garbage, but fans are not supposed to be FUNDING NIL.

Players are supposed to be able to capitalize on their Name, Image, or Likeness (NIL) via local business advertising, apparel sales, appearances/autograph sessions, etc.

The whole notion of a “collective” for NIL for recruiting purposes (or player retention) is completely ridiculous and heinously against NCAA rules.

I wish at some point the (neutered) NCAA would just come out and say they don’t have any intention of enforcing THESE rules and end the idiotic charade of programs buying players from other schools under the guise of “NIL”
    Correct. That was the original intent of NIL (supposedly)

What it is now is a ____ show

2. Default Re: UL Softball

I know it is what it is with this NIL garbage, but fans are not supposed to be FUNDING NIL.

Players are supposed to be able to capitalize on their Name, Image, or Likeness (NIL) via local business advertising, apparel sales, appearances/autograph sessions, etc.

The whole notion of a “collective” for NIL for recruiting purposes (or player retention) is completely ridiculous and heinously against NCAA rules.

I wish at some point the (neutered) NCAA would just come out and say they don’t have any intention of enforcing THESE rules and end the idiotic charade of programs buying players from other schools under the guise of “NIL”
    you are absolutely 100% correct

however, when NIL budgets available to Players to capitalize on their Name, Image, or Likeness (NIL) via local business advertising, apparel sales, appearances/autograph sessions are naturally limited for players at a university like Louisiana, the university can only look to the funding sources that are available there and athletes and coaches are similarly hamstrung and can chose to deal with less or move to a university where there is more local business advertising, etc.

Because of the limited advertising sources budgets available at a university like Louisiana, these universities have turned to concepts like collectives in an attempt to bridge the gap.

as for the NCAA, they have been totally neutered by the US Supreme Court in this area and there is really no need for them to say anything

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post
    Not all of that class will make it to campus. He has already lost one commitment and one transfer.
    One of 8 has decommitted. The one loss from the current roster will hurt, but he will utilize the portal to build the roster short term. Also, don't be surprised if the one decommitment re-commits. The portal loss has already signed with Arkansas.

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post
    Correct. That was the original intent of NIL (supposedly)

What it is now is a ____ show
    NIL is a good idea gone bad.

It was originally intended to protect the right of players to earn income from activities not related to their sport [see Livvy Dunne]; or to allow players to capitalize on their name, image and likeness related to their sport through contracts with third parties NOT affiliated with their school [see Caitlin Clark].

The whole concept of NIL collectives is a gross exploitation of the rules, possible because the NCAA failed to establish proper guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    One of 8 has decommitted. The one loss from the current roster will hurt, but he will utilize the portal to build the roster short term. Also, don't be surprised if the one decommitment re-commits. The portal loss has already signed with Arkansas.
    Nah they are good at UCF.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    You're sadly mistaken.Cajun Fans believe NIL stands for No Income Leaving.
    I thought it meant Not In Lafayette.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    I thought it meant Not In Lafayette.
    yea, that too!

THIS….I cannot express enough how much on point this comment is.

When NIL was introduced I actually thought it was a good idea. In theory, a local business pays a player for a commercial appearance or something of the sort. Players can make money off of jersey sales. Things of that nature. What we have now is basically a slush fund for anyone and everyone to throw money at.

10. Default Re: UL Softball

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
    THIS….I cannot express enough how much on point this comment is.

When NIL was introduced I actually thought it was a good idea. In theory, a local business pays a player for a commercial appearance or something of the sort. Players can make money off of jersey sales. Things of that nature. What we have now is basically a slush fund for anyone and everyone to throw money at.
    the problem with this limitation is the limitation

the Supreme Court said that an athletes right to make money is a constitutional right

they didn’t say it was kind of a constitutional right

so any limitation on that constitutional right is a violation of the co stitution

it is kind of like being a little bit pregnant

that concept is not available in pregnancy not is it available in NIL

hope that helps many of you understand

I know many will never accept it, however the refusal to accept it will continually limit the potential success of Louisiana athletics

there are no if’s ands or butts about it

Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post
    Just listened. Sounds like it was the lack of NIL money at UL which is the reason Gerry left. About the same salary at TX Tech but promised more NIL money at Texas Tech.
    I still think Gerry should have gave the program/fans a farewell post/statement or something.
    Very curious if he told the team before the news broke.

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    Just listened. Sounds like it was the lack of NIL money at UL which is the reason Gerry left. About the same salary at TX Tech but promised more NIL money at Texas Tech.
    I still think Gerry should have gave the program/fans a farewell post/statement or something.
    Very curious if he told the team before the news broke.
    They looked to be managing okay without it. At least up until now. Top ranked recruiting classes. More talent coming in. No big contributors leaving. Louisiana has been a destination.

In a few years it may be different but they were weathering the storm pretty darn well if you ask me.

More NIL deals being the driving factor to leave for a losing program seems insane.

14. Default Re: UL Softball

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    They looked to be managing okay without it. At least up until now. Top ranked recruiting classes. More talent coming in. No big contributors leaving. Louisiana has been a destination.

In a few years it may be different but they were weathering the storm pretty darn well if you ask me.

More NIL deals being the driving factor to leave for a losing program seems insane.
    NIL is coming and it’s coming hard to softball

at 65 would you prefer to be at a place thst is ahead of the curve or behind the curve

and then there is the thing of coaching with your daughter especially after having missed out on that earlier opportunity by having lost a daughter

things to learn . . . NIL is either coming to Louisiana or the once proud program is fixing to be not as proud . . . sticking your head in the sand because you fail to accept reality may make reality show up a lot earlier, in fact it is right on Louisiana’s doorstep

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post

I think he's a narcissist. He apparently went to tx tech and met that team before telling the team he coached for 7 years. That ain't right.

Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst . 24 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 44 . LastLast

Thread Information