Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst . 6 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Baseball Transfer Portal

Default Re: 2024 Baseball Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    So, with only 11.5 scholarships to give, are those shared in some way among the 25 players or do only 12 players get scholarships and the other 13 have to pay their way? Is it the same for softball? Seems like an unfair system to me. It doesn't have to be that way. Just offer scholarships to all baseball and softball players for equality under Title 9.

Also, how do scholarships work for other sports like T&F, golf (only men), soccer and volleyball (only women). Do only football and basketball have scholarships for all players (men and women)? If so, why not other sports if everyone gets scholarships?

Lastly, if schools are set on DEI (and I think UL is under Dr. S), wouldn't it be interesting to apply that to athletics. If course, no one wants to see that in athletics or any other field for that matter, but it does illustrate the ridiculousness of DEI.
    Every school is different, but it is VERY RARE for a baseball player to be on a full ride scholarship.

Because of Title IX, most (if not all) female sports are full ride, otherwise it would be really difficult to ever get to an equal number of scholarships, simply because of football. For men's sports outside of football and basketball, I only know that baseball is 11.5 scholarships.

I ASSUME that golf and tennis are all on full scholarship because of the low numbers and how many foreign players are in those sports, I would think it would be difficult for them to attend on partial scholarships. T&F has so many participants I would think it is like baseball, but don't have any information on it. Pretty sure the board has some former T&F athletes who can provide really good information on that topic.

Off campus housing, meal stipend and Cost of Attendance are the hard tangible expenses. That's money/expense to others vs paying yourself.

3. Default Re: 2024 Baseball Transfer Portal

Nichols ace pitcher Jacob Mayers is in the portal. He is from Gonzales. Be interesting to see where he ends up. Keep an eye on Arkansas state.

I was shocked he stayed at Nicholls after his freshman All American season. I’m sure he’ll have MUCH better suitors than Arkansas St. I know his coach went there but he’s good enough to pitch anywhere.

Supposedly Mayer turned down 300k from tsab after his freshman season. Pretty cool to see how good Silva was able to piece together a team at Nicholls. Buddy has a son who pitched there this year. Both are in the portal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Every school is different, but it is VERY RARE for a baseball player to be on a full ride scholarship.

Because of Title IX, most (if not all) female sports are full ride, otherwise it would be really difficult to ever get to an equal number of scholarships, simply because of football. For men's sports outside of football and basketball, I only know that baseball is 11.5 scholarships.

I ASSUME that golf and tennis are all on full scholarship because of the low numbers and how many foreign players are in those sports, I would think it would be difficult for them to attend on partial scholarships. T&F has so many participants I would think it is like baseball, but don't have any information on it. Pretty sure the board has some former T&F athletes who can provide really good information on that topic.
    Cajunrunner and Cajun4life you guys are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Nichols ace pitcher Jacob Mayers is in the portal. He is from Gonzales. Be interesting to see where he ends up. Keep an eye on Arkansas state.
    Loyola NOLA.

Besides Sam Ardoin, has anyone heard of any other players in the portal that might be coming to UL?

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post

My recollection, and that is definitely shaky, is that women’s T&F was allotted more scholarships than men’s. Also, at least at UL, yes, getting a full scholarship in men’s T&F was rare. You had to have national championship qualifying potential.

When I was in school, I think all LSU’s male distance runners, with the exception of that one guy from Jamaica or something, were TOPS walk-ons, even if amongst the best in the state in high school.

C4L and XULRunner can fact check me on this, though. They know way more than me for that stuff.

10. Default Re: 2024 Baseball Transfer Portal

where was USL hurdler, Maurice native and Abbeville resident AutoGoEric in all of this

Steven Kash has entered the portal as of today. Tough loss, wish him the best. Ardoin’s teammate at UT is from Lafayette and was the top pitching prospect from the state of Louisiana in 2021. He was pitching fairly well (sub 3 era) when he elected to enter the portal at the mid season point this year. Coach Pearce put out a statement talking about work ethic, but was fairly vague. Any chance Grant Fontenot would be interesting in UL, or do you think coach Deggs/ Leger would be interested in him? He was 94-96 this year with a solid slider.

Losing Steven Cash is a blow. He was effective in certain situations being a lefty.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunchuck View Post
    Losing Steven Cash is a blow. He was effective in certain situations being a lefty.
    He was effective early, but he sat mostly on the bench in the second half of the season. Don't know if injuries affected him, but he was not the same pitcher later in the season.

14. Default Re: 2024 Baseball Transfer Portal

. . . He never really cashed in . . .

Out of curiosity, went back and looked at 2023 transfer class which was ranked #23 by D1 baseball. We had many major contributors from that transfer class this season such as Langevin, Torres, Pastore, Broussard, Herrman, Martinez, Holzhammer and even Josh Alexander to a certain extent. Some did not work out and are back in the portal. I would consider that transfer class to be a very good one and wouldn't mind similar results from this year's transfer class. Hopefully Coach Deggs can come up with some more major contributors.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst . 6 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread Information