Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Fan Engagement, Tailgating, Mascot, Marching Band, Pre-Game Intro etc.?

Default Re: Thoughts on Fan Engagement, Tailgating, Mascot, Marching Band, Pre-Game Intro etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    Our tailgating costs are ridiculous when compared to others.

Last time I checked, we had some of the highest tailgating costs in the country. Even higher than most P5 schools. I am not talking about "turn key tailgating" where there are tents, tables, chairs, ice chests, drinks, etc. provided. I am talking about paying money for the right to use a small area of property where you set up your own tailgate equipment.

What teams are charging more than us?
    Here is the difference where we can get ahead is the festival model, or money making model where people can bring chairs, have tables, chairs, and vendors etc The University would make more profit in doing this.

People who pay for tailgating will still pay for tailgating.

We need a tailgating villiage.
    I mean like a square, i get we have the baseball field and under the tree. We need a more defined area closer to parking. Still keep baseball field open for gamedays

Default Re: Thoughts on Fan Engagement, Tailgating, Mascot, Marching Band, Pre-Game Intro etc.?

Tailgating pricing lowered and make the process easier. Allow tailgating in certain areas on a per-game basis.

Promote the games locally on TV, radio, and billboards. Go out into the community and get people involved.

Bring back a mascot.

Play less house music, club music, dubstep, whatever you want to call it. I’m 28 and I still think it’s horrible.

I don’t think the band is a huge issue. Sadly, most people don’t pay that much attention. But they can certainly enhance the atmosphere. My freshman year in band was when they instituted the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down cheers on offense that they still play today. Sure, they may be a little corny and stale, but the problem, like most things the university does, was the lack of execution and communication. Nobody outside of the band and cheer groups knew what we were doing. Maybe it was brought up at a pep rally that a handful of students went to, but other than that we just tried our best to lead the chants in the games, the cheerleaders hold up signs, and hoped people would follow suit. That’s not gonna cut it. Whatever new traditions are instituted need to be not only well thought out, but communicated to the fan base

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    Here is the difference where we can get ahead is the festival model, or money making model where people can bring chairs, have tables, chairs, and vendors etc The University would make more profit in doing this.

People who pay for tailgating will still pay for tailgating.

We need a tailgating villiage.
    I mean like a square, i get we have the baseball field and under the tree. We need a more defined area closer to parking. Still keep baseball field open for gamedays
    Why not extend the name "The Swamp" to the tailgating area? It is a perfect fit.

Also, for comparison, I looked up the University of Florida to see what they charge for tailgating and to confirm that they don't use The Swamp as the name of their tailgating area (they don't have a name). Turns out they don't charge for tailgating. Their stadium seats around 90,000 so they make their money in other ways. UL should consider doing the same. Bring the great tailgating atmosphere back to Cajun Field and extend it to inside the stadium.

Do you have to pay to tailgate at UF?

Except for properly permitted official University events, charging for admission at any tailgate is strictly prohibited as is any commercial activity and fundraising. UFPD reserves the right to restrict areas that they deem at maximum capacity. Use of UF's electrical outlet use is prohibited. Sep 14, 2023

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Why not extend the name "The Swamp" to the tailgating area? It is a perfect fit.

Also, for comparison, I looked up the University of Florida to see what they charge for tailgating and to confirm that they don't use The Swamp as the name of their tailgating area (they don't have a name). Turns out they don't charge for tailgating. Their stadium seats around 90,000 so they make their money in other ways. UL should consider doing the same. Bring the great tailgating atmosphere back to Cajun Field and extend it to inside the stadium.

Except for properly permitted official University events, charging for admission at any tailgate is strictly prohibited as is any commercial activity and fundraising. UFPD reserves the right to restrict areas that they deem at maximum capacity. Use of UF's electrical outlet use is prohibited. Sep 14, 2023
    Great Idea! With the renovations, have tailgating inside the main building the renovated upper deck and pressbox.

Also rope off the lower bowl, but build this in the NEZ. So tailgating could be handled inside and in the NEZ, also cut the RV parking in half, and use that area could also for tailgating.

Hopefully allowed before game time?
    Name:  IMG_5346.png
Views: 180
Size:  970.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5345.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  201.6 KB

I would add something like this in the NEZ

Name:  IMG_7729.jpeg
Views: 182
Size:  466.2 KB

And have the entire area connected from the parking lot to the NEZ to the pressbox on the home side

Little early to start this but I am going to. I want to see this University succeed, and I want to win not just on the field, but off the field.

With stadium renovations. This is the year to start experimenting with new ideas.

I wanna put pressure on the Administration. I want to hear yall thoughts on ways we can improve the overall fan experience at UL events, and ways we can put fans in the stands besides winning?
    You’ll just get grouped in the the RR crew as a hater if you put pressure on the administration

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    You’ll just get grouped in the the RR crew as a hater if you put pressure on the administration
    Hahaha!! Okay its a little rough but something like this! Marked yellow would be tailgating, but also charge for stuff like drinks and food etc. have it all connected!

Name:  IMG_7728.jpeg
Views: 167
Size:  74.2 KB

Yellow on the home side is the pressbox, sure they will have a corridor where they are serving drinks and tables and chairs? I would assume that.

Here's another idea. Reinforce the stadium as "The Swamp" and name the tailgating area "Swamp Alley".

Here's another idea. Reinforce the stadium as "The Swamp" and name the tailgating area "Swamp Alley".
    Sounds awesome. We could even have a tailgate corridor ( Swamp Alley) that leads from Congress to the Stage, to the Baseball field.

In due time turn the Cox building into a square for Students and Fans that could be used for all sporting events.

Wonder if it could be done?

.and it's summer.

Try stuff. Anything outside of the usual and seemingly minimal effort they put forward for football. If it doesn't work, try something else. Then do more stuff. Just keep working.

Take the free advice this board has been giving for years. A lot of it is good stuff.

Listen to the community. Listen to the fans. You have to go out and introduce yourself. I know it's scary. Ideas are out there, and Cajun people are more than happy to give you feedback.

Look at other like programs that are successful. Steal their ideas. Parity is everywhere.

Just stop being so damn complacent when it comes to football. We have too much down here when it comes to culture. Don't just talk about it or hashtag it. Embrace it and do something with it.

Sounds awesome. We could even have a tailgate corridor ( Swamp Alley) that leads from Congress to the Stage, to the Baseball field.

In due time turn the Cox building into a square for Students and Fans that could be used for all sporting events.

Wonder if it could be done?
    I recommended something like this before once the Cox building is torn down. Have a "Square" that includes a mini version of the FDL fountain that is on campus to help tie in the main campus with the athletic campus. Brick the flooring in The Square surrounding the FDL fountain with bricks of all the football lettermen, again like we do for alumni on campus. I'm sure each letterman would help pay for their own brick and that might help bring them back to our games to show family and friends. We could do the same thing for each sport facility.

I recommended something like this before once the Cox building is torn down. Have a "Square" that includes a mini version of the FDL fountain that is on campus to help tie in the main campus with the athletic campus. Brick the flooring in The Square surrounding the FDL fountain with bricks of all the football lettermen, again like we do for alumni on campus. I'm sure each letterman would help pay for their own brick and that might help bring them back to our games to show family and friends. We could do the same thing for each sport facility.
    This is a good idea!

It is really sad when the only music we can come up with is Jambalaya and You Are My Sunshine. I posted Southeastern Band playing Louisiana Saturday Night, but i just heard a rendition of Joli Blon being played by McNeese. How could you not think to do stuff like this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jhsgBX.BmaWdodCBzb25n

We should of thought about doing this stuff 20 years ago.

Here is another version of them doing it.They even use a Mardi Gras fanfare intro with it !! Cant think of the name of the song. I am trying not to get mad at stuff like this. We could of been doing Geaux Cajuns with this one! This would of been perfect. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to come up with stuff like this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d8r99x.aW5nIGJhbmQ%3D

13. Default Re: Thoughts on Fan Engagement, Tailgating, Mascot, Marching Band, Pre-Game Intro etc.?

It is really sad when the only music we can come up with is Jambalaya and You Are My Sunshine. I posted Southeastern Band playing Louisiana Saturday Night, but i just heard a rendition of Joli Blon being played by McNeese. How could you not think to do stuff like this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jhsgBX.BmaWdodCBzb25n

We should of thought about doing this stuff 20 years ago.

Here is another version of them doing it.They even use a Mardi Gras fanfare intro with it !! Cant think of the name of the song. I am trying not get mad at stuff like this. We could of been doing Geaux Cajuns with this one! This would of been perfect.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d8r99x.aW5nIGJhbmQ%3D
    The culture of unimaginativeness needs a Kickstart ER campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by raginbeef View Post
    Tailgating pricing lowered and make the process easier. Allow tailgating in certain areas on a per-game basis.

Promote the games locally on TV, radio, and billboards. Go out into the community and get people involved.

Bring back a mascot.

Play less house music, club music, dubstep, whatever you want to call it. I’m 28 and I still think it’s horrible.

I don’t think the band is a huge issue. Sadly, most people don’t pay that much attention. But they can certainly enhance the atmosphere. My freshman year in band was when they instituted the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down cheers on offense that they still play today. Sure, they may be a little corny and stale, but the problem, like most things the university does, was the lack of execution and communication. Nobody outside of the band and cheer groups knew what we were doing. Maybe it was brought up at a pep rally that a handful of students went to, but other than that we just tried our best to lead the chants in the games, the cheerleaders hold up signs, and hoped people would follow suit. That’s not gonna cut it. Whatever new traditions are instituted need to be not only well thought out, but communicated to the fan base
    People will pay way more attention to a good band than they will a mascot. I've been to some pretty good game atmospheres and a good band that really sets the tone is always present. If you do it right, they set the tone for what cheers and chants the students perform and when.

It's a shame what happened to our tailgating though. As someone who paid to tailgate for years, I can definitely say that they overestimated the notion that people would just keep paying higher and higher prices all while taking away many of the conveniences at the same time. You wanna be able to park just one of your vehicles even remotely near your tailgate to get all of your gear and your young kids care items there? Just pay lots more money. They took everyone for suckers and in the meantime, ruined a great atmosphere. Our only problem then was trying to get just a small portion of those people to go into the games. Now its just getting them to show up at all.

Thanks for looking into that. It only makes sense.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread Information