Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Regional G4 Final: Louisiana 4, Texas A&M 9

Default Re: Louisiana 4, Texas A&M 9

Hate that it's over, but the team is getting better year over year under Deggs.

3 straight regionals. We finally won 2 games in the regional and knocked off a traditional power along the way.

Lots to improve and I'm sure they'll do it. First thing, walk more and walk them less . Happy offseason.

Default Re: Louisiana vs. Texas A&M

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard 1280 View Post
    Agree we got a raw deal with the draw, but 9/10 we weren't going to make it out of a Super with our pitching anyway.

Sucks, but it is what it is. Call it a good season and move on. Hopefully we can take the next step in 2025.
    Not a bad showing this weekend for a squad that “wasn’t deserving of post season play” or “not a Regional team”.

Nice bounce back vs Texas yesterday.

Default Re: Louisiana 4, Texas A&M 9

The team is one of the few in the nation to win over 40 games and a regular season title. Ending the season of a school that has 4 times our resources is something to celebrate in its own right. Yes, it is disappointing to not be able to follow the guys any longer. In time they will be proud of what they accomplished

Default Re: Regional G4 Final: Louisiana 4, Texas A&M 9

IMO a very good season. The coaches, players, and fans have a lot to be proud of. Winning the SBC in baseball this year is a big accomplishment. If we can somehow elevate to a Top 16 seed, hosting a regional stacks the odds more in our favor to advance. Seems like there is momentum towards Top 16 level.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    This was a fun season. Top 25. Regular season champs.

After losing Roccoforte, Brock, and Hood last year; I was curious to see what kind of bats we would have in the lineup. This year we are losing Taylor, Lafleur, DeBarge, and Higgs. But seeing the new guys like Pastore, Torres, and sometimes Cuff step into those roles made me realize that Deggs has a way of bringing in some raw talent. I also think that we can recruit more pitchers to Gunner’s philosophy. That will be key. If we can do that, I do expect pitching to improve over time especially with consistency.

All in all, I think we will be in good hands in the near future to where we will continue to compete on a national level.
    Higgs may be back, 50/50 from what I've been told. Yes, it's difficult to replace guys that you hit on like DeBarge, Roccaforte, Brock and Hood. Ideally guys that play above their talents like Torres and Pastore are more available to develop.

The pitching is the challenge and will continue to be the challenge every year. While Coach Leger has done a great job in his first season, we still have to find guys with arm talent. The history is we have had 1 staff in the last 24 years to make it to Omaha and that was done by one of the best college pitching coaches anywhere. We didn't have enough in 2014, 2016 and 2017. And we haven't had enough in 2022, 2023 and 2024. Once again, this staff will have to look everywhere in the environment of NIL and the transfer portal.

Looking forward to next year (assuming those that can come back, do come back)…

All 6 outfielders return, that’s a good start. Amedee and Torres are back. Obviously Debarge, Lafleur, Taylor, and Pastore are big losses. But it’s the nature of it. Roccaforte, Hood, Brock, etc were huge losses too. There are talented kids that have some experience there. Cuff, Robichaux, Zambo, etc. Some recruits will show up and who knows who may show up from the portal. And as Coach Deggs did this season (more HRs, less SBs) they will figure out an identity.

The good news is this. The top 2 guys in innings pitched, who also happen to be the top 2 in ERA are back. Thats a great start. Langevin may be gone to the draft, although it’s not a given, so let’s proceed with the thought that he is. Some have mentioned it, while others have crushed the kid, but having Jack Martinez back is huge. Go look at the stats page. He had 2 miserable outings in a weekend at MMP. Other than those two games, Martinez was 4-2 with a 3.30 ERA over 45.2 innings and 20 appearances…and with more strikeouts than innings pitched. That’s bordering on elite in college baseball. For reference, that ERA would be right behind Chase Morgan’s and in front of LP Langevin’s.

Dylan Theut should be healthy next season, being nearly a year and half removed from injury. That’s HUGE. Theut has made 32 career appearances with a stellar ERA of 2.37 across 49.1 innings, striking out 54 hitters. Those are ELITE numbers in college baseball.

Herrmann, Morgan, Martinez, and Theut. A year of gaining strength and working with Gunner for guys like McGehee and Holzhammer. Thats a hell of a foundation for next years staff. PLUS recruits/potential portal additions. Let’s not forget that Herrmann, Morgan, Langevin, Martinez, Holzhammer…all of those guys weren’t here last year. Add another group close to that and this could be an excellent pitching staff.

I also expect kids like Cash, Tollett, Brooks, and Tate Hess to make strides heading into next year. And with the glut of outfielders returning, I’m thinking Maddox Mandino should spend a whole lot more time working with Gunner as a pitcher. How many freshman, who spent the majority of the season as a position player, can come in throwing 90+ from the left side with a good slider and making 2 regional appearances after making 2 all year…including nonchalantly walking out there and striking out A&M’s 3 and 4 hole hitters to finish off an inning? The answer is not many. There’s a lot there to work with for Mandino as a full time pitcher.

The future is bright and this program has improved EVERY full season since 2018. I’m excited for what’s to come.

42 wins. That is something to be proud of…

8. UL Baseball Re: Louisiana vs. Texas A&M

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Not a bad showing this weekend for a squad that “wasn’t deserving of post season play” or “not a Regional team”.

Nice bounce back vs Texas yesterday.
    I thought the season ended in Troy?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Higgs may be back, 50/50 from what I've been told. .
    Where else would he go? Why wouldn't he be back?

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    Draft is my guess. He obviously has a lot of swing work to do but the power tool is very very real.

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    Could see another conference as a roll of the dice. That top flight college pitching is everyday pro game. Get paid major bucks and living comfortably one year in college, or ride a bus all summer living in motel 6… while learning the same thing in either option?

The SBC as a league would struggle putting together a rotation to match what UL faced last night.

Personally I hope 2 4 stays here one more year. The hook…intangibles.

12. Default Re: Regional G4 Final: Louisiana 4, Texas A&M 9

I sure hope my brother Matt Deggs doesn’t hit the transfer portal…

13. Default Re: Regional G4 Final: Louisiana 4, Texas A&M 9

Quote Originally Posted by Datt Meggs View Post
    I sure hope my brother Matt Deggs doesn’t hit the transfer portal…
    Dat meggs two of us.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Looking forward to next year (assuming those that can come back, do come back)…

All 6 outfielders return, that’s a good start. Amedee and Torres are back. Obviously Debarge, Lafleur, Taylor, and Pastore are big losses. But it’s the nature of it. Roccaforte, Hood, Brock, etc were huge losses too. There are talented kids that have some experience there. Cuff, Robichaux, Zambo, etc. Some recruits will show up and who knows who may show up from the portal. And as Coach Deggs did this season (more HRs, less SBs) they will figure out an identity.

The good news is this. The top 2 guys in innings pitched, who also happen to be the top 2 in ERA are back. Thats a great start. Langevin may be gone to the draft, although it’s not a given, so let’s proceed with the thought that he is. Some have mentioned it, while others have crushed the kid, but having Jack Martinez back is huge. Go look at the stats page. He had 2 miserable outings in a weekend at MMP. Other than those two games, Martinez was 4-2 with a 3.30 ERA over 45.2 innings and 20 appearances…and with more strikeouts than innings pitched. That’s bordering on elite in college baseball. For reference, that ERA would be right behind Chase Morgan’s and in front of LP Langevin’s.

Dylan Theut should be healthy next season, being nearly a year and half removed from injury. That’s HUGE. Theut has made 32 career appearances with a stellar ERA of 2.37 across 49.1 innings, striking out 54 hitters. Those are ELITE numbers in college baseball.

Herrmann, Morgan, Martinez, and Theut. A year of gaining strength and working with Gunner for guys like McGehee and Holzhammer. Thats a hell of a foundation for next years staff. PLUS recruits/potential portal additions. Let’s not forget that Herrmann, Morgan, Langevin, Martinez, Holzhammer…all of those guys weren’t here last year. Add another group close to that and this could be an excellent pitching staff.

I also expect kids like Cash, Tollett, Brooks, and Tate Hess to make strides heading into next year. And with the glut of outfielders returning, I’m thinking Maddox Mandino should spend a whole lot more time working with Gunner as a pitcher. How many freshman, who spent the majority of the season as a position player, can come in throwing 90+ from the left side with a good slider and making 2 regional appearances after making 2 all year…including nonchalantly walking out there and striking out A&M’s 3 and 4 hole hitters to finish off an inning? The answer is not many. There’s a lot there to work with for Mandino as a full time pitcher.

The future is bright and this program has improved EVERY full season since 2018. I’m excited for what’s to come.
    I don't think all 6 of these outfielders will return, they have already signed a JC outfielder. Morgan is my major concern going forward because he will be contacted, if not already and offered money.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I don't think all 6 of these outfielders will return, they have already signed a JC outfielder. Morgan is my major concern going forward because he will be contacted, if not already and offered money.
    Yep. Being a Texas kid, and throwing well in A&M’s stadium, against U of Texas…it’s a bit worrisome that those programs and their backers will come after him.

He did speak very highly of Gunner as his pitching coach during the in-game interview so maybe he’ll want to stick around. Money is coming his way one way or another at some point. Hopefully it’s after 3 years in a Cajuns uniform.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread Information