Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Potential dumb question.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Potential dumb question.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    One clarification to this situation (bolded above). The two advancing teams do not bid on the super regional unless neither school submitted a bid to host the super regional. If one of the teams bid, but the other did not, the team that bid will host the super regional (provided it is a qualified bid). If both of the teams already bid, there is no new bidding process. In that case the already submitted bids are evaluated.

Brian
    Would we be waiting until the end of the regional to bid for a super? I hope not.

Default Re: Potential dumb question.

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    Would we be waiting until the end of the regional to bid for a super? I hope not.
    No. Bids for both regional and super submitted.

3. Default Re: Potential dumb question.

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    There is a deadline to submit separate bids for regionals and super regionals (same deadline), which has long passed. The athletic administration has been consistent about bidding for both regionals and super regionals in baseball and softball. I do not know whether or not San Diego, for example, submitted a bid to host somewhere (need not be their campus facility).

Brian

4. Default Re: Potential dumb question.

There is a deadline to submit separate bids for regionals and super regionals (same deadline), which has long passed. The athletic administration has been consistent about bidding for both regionals and super regionals in baseball and softball. I do not know whether or not San Diego, for example, submitted a bid to host somewhere (need not be their campus facility).

Brian
    Why wouldnt they be able to host on campus? Looks like a nice ballpark. Seems to have plenty media space and seating for up to 3,000.

One clarification to this situation (bolded above). The two advancing teams do not bid on the super regional unless neither school submitted a bid to host the super regional. If one of the teams bid, but the other did not, the team that bid will host the super regional (provided it is a qualified bid). If both of the teams already bid, there is no new bidding process. In that case the already submitted bids are evaluated.

Brian
    IF UL and SD win their regional and BOTH submitted bids to host regionals and super-regionals. Is that bid awarded based on merit (SD advantage) or money (UL advantage, I would assume)?

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    IF UL and SD win their regional and BOTH submitted bids to host regionals and super-regionals. Is that bid awarded based on merit (SD advantage) or money (UL advantage, I would assume)?
    It's merit. I wish they would get rid of the term "bid". In reality what each school is doing is submitting an application to host. The NCAA outlines all criteria that need to be met in order to do so and it pretty much ends there. Your proposed facility meets the requirements or it doesn't. The term "bid" implies that a regional (or super) can be bought with a higher amount of money and that simple isn't the case.

7. Default Re: Potential dumb question.

I just don't think we are winning this regional. A&M is good at home and Texas is a tough draw for us. I hope I am wrong.

I have no illusions of us winning this regional. Just hope we don't have a repeat of conference tournament.

Agree. We're definitely one of the underdogs. They play the games for a reason. It's baseball. Anything can happen! Just gotta get hot in June! I like our chances a little more with Herrmann available (if that is the case) and back to form. Obviously the bullpen will need to step up. And FastCar needs to get the bats going all weekend.

10. UL Baseball Re: Potential dumb question.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    So what happens if neither previously submitted a bid?
    Then each school is allowed to submit a bid and it is reviewed by the committee the Monday after the regional. This is what happened with Cal and Dallas Baptist (both #3 seeds in their respective regionals) in 2011.

I was simply clarifying that if one or more of the teams had submitted a bid (by the bid deadline well before postseason play commences), that there is no more bidding (post regional). It is simply about evaluation of what was already submitted.

Brian

11. Default Re: Potential dumb question.

Quote Originally Posted by 225cajun View Post
    Why wouldnt they be able to host on campus? Looks like a nice ballpark. Seems to have plenty media space and seating for up to 3,000.
    I did not say that were not able to host on campus. I do not know. But some schools opt to submit bids for larger/better off campus facilities.

Brian

12. Default Re: Potential dumb question.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    It's merit. I wish they would get rid of the term "bid". In reality what each school is doing is submitting an application to host. The NCAA outlines all criteria that need to be met in order to do so and it pretty much ends there. Your proposed facility meets the requirements or it doesn't. The term "bid" implies that a regional (or super) can be bought with a higher amount of money and that simple isn't the case.
    And it is even more confusing because "bid" was once the appropriate term. Regionals were, at one time, awarded based on monetary commitments to the NCAA. This is how Texas was able to host one year as a #3 seed in the old 6-team regional format.

Brian

And it is even more confusing because "bid" was once the appropriate term. Regionals were, at one time, awarded based on monetary commitments to the NCAA. This is how Texas was able to host one year as a #3 seed in the old 6-team regional format.

Brian
    I’ve always wondered why, since the monetary bid thing went away, that any team with any chance at all to make the postseason would NOT bid for both a regional AND super.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    that is not correct either
    I’m not sure what you’re misinterpreting. So we’ll start here and work our way down the Cajun road.

Do you think if UL and UCSB win their regionals, UL has a chance to host? Because unless UCSB cannot host a super regional, as a #1 seed, they would host UL.

I think there is still a monetary component as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information