Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Softball rules that need changing.

UL Softball Softball rules that need changing.

In my opinion these three rules need to be changed for the 2025 season.

1. If a coach wins a challenge, they deserve the challenge back. You shouldn’t be punished for missed calls.

2. If a team wants to intentionally walk a batter they should be able to put them on 1st base without having to throw a pitch.

3. Runners leaving base early shouldn't be reviewable.

Default Re: Softball rules that need changing.

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post

1. If a coach wins a challenge, they deserve the challenge back. You shouldn’t be punished for missed calls.

2. If a team wants to intentionally walk a batter they should be able to put them on 1st base without having to throw a pitch.

I agree with 1 and 2 but not 3. Why should runners be allowed to leave early? I also think the umpires should make the call without just waiting for the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by ragin50 View Post
    I agree with 1 and 2 but not 3. Why should runners be allowed to leave early? I also think the umpires should make the call without just waiting for the challenge.
    With the new rule, steals dropped about 70%. The reason is it's almost impossible to accurately judge exactly when the ball leaves the pitchers hand.

4. Default Re: Softball rules that need changing.

It should not be reviewable. The umpire should be under same constraints as the player. No review.

Quote Originally Posted by ragin50 View Post
    I never said the runner should be able to leave early. It should be on the umpire to call it.

6. Default Re: Softball rules that need changing.

Agree with 1 & 3

How about only reviewable when the umpire makes the call of an out for leaving early?

So it would NOT be reviewable if the umpire did NOT make the call at the time of the play.

I'm just going to say that any rule that discourages base stealing is not a good rule.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunsSball22 View Post
    Agree with 1 & 3
    How does #2 apply to college baseball?

I'm not well versed in NCAA Softball but yea, all three of those are absolutely contenders for modification or even complete removal.

Agree w/ #1. Disagree w/ #2. Make ‘em pitch.

Disagree w/ #3 but feel rule should be amended. Release is too late given velo of the college game.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSID View Post
    Agree w/ #1. Disagree w/ #2. Make ‘em pitch.

Disagree w/ #3 but feel rule should be amended. Release is too late given velo of the college game.
    What does college baseball do when they want to intentionally walk a batter? Pitch to them or they get put on without being pitch to?

If rule #2 didn't exist last year, Cajuns probably don't beat LSU.

14. Default Re: Softball rules that need changing.

What does college baseball do when they want to intentionally walk a batter? Pitch to them or they get put on without being pitch to?
    Pretty sure they just put them on, which in no way changes my opinion.

College baseball just puts them on. Don’t like it. Feel like they should have to pitch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information