Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MBB: Louisiana Signs Experienced Guard in Wright

Default Re: MBB: Louisiana Signs Experienced Guard in Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Datt Meggs View Post
    And the coach that kicked him off the team got fired. Kenny Payne is very difficult and frustrating to play for from the stories I’ve been told by some Louisville fans. Maybe him being a terrible head coach led to whatever altercation they had. Not taking any sides just providing information that was handed to me once I learned of the coaching staff pursuing the kid.
    Not his problem when the kid won't play because he told him to take off a shooting sleeve and put different shoes on.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    Not his problem when the kid won't play because he told him to take off a shooting sleeve and put different shoes on.
    Hopefully Davis learned his lesson and comes in with an attitude of realizing this is his last shot at this game. Payne did get fired after the season.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    2 kids that shouldn't be on the team. Marlin wastes 2-3 scholarships a year on non D1 guys and complains he has no depth.
    Gio Nannucci and Vinny Sigona are not returning. They both are going to JC's with the intent of proving they can play at the D1 level. We have filled our 13 scholarships now. I don't think depth will be a problem next season. We should be better able to compete once injury bug hits and it will at some point. However with 6 new comers and 7 returnees, chemistry may be a problem. Not all 13 can play. How people react when their playing time is reduced once conference play starts may determine how successful the season is. This situation is not unusual in today's world. Most of our competitors will face similar issues.

You have to play 9-10 deep to keep them happy enough to want to be a productive contributor. Based on the 7 returnees, all have had considerable playing time and will likely make up 7 of the deep 9-10. The FR will need to contribute quickly to see PT, but his height/length will give him that opportunity. Among the new comers, the PG from OR state will play a lot, but so will MT. The PF from Sac State, with his stats, will be in that number too. The BG (big guard originally from Louisville will be in that number too. The other new comers will need to show out quickly and often. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Gio Nannucci and Vinny Sigona are not returning. They both are going to JC's with the intent of proving they can play at the D1 level. We have filled our 13 scholarships now. I don't think depth will be a problem next season. We should be better able to compete once injury bug hits and it will at some point. However with 6 new comers and 7 returnees, chemistry may be a problem. Not all 13 can play. How people react when their playing time is reduced once conference play starts may determine how successful the season is. This situation is not unusual in today's world. Most of our competitors will face similar issues.
    That's an assumption to say the least

Thanks Mike. Great news to hear that both have moved on. Will be interesting to see where we have upgraded this team.

7. Default Re: MBB: Louisiana Signs Experienced Guard in Wright

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    That's an assumption to say the least
    much information was provided in the post which was very informative

exactly what part is an assumption . . .

8. Default Re: MBB: Louisiana Signs Experienced Guard in Wright

Looking at the players coming in, we had issues last season with what I called physical players late in games that seem to be worn down by our opponents. We played a very finesse game and many of the teams we played against were much more physical than us and I think it showed. Looking at some of the size we have coming in to replace these guys we are going to be I bigger for sure, that does not always equate to better, but I think we will be a much more physical team and deeper. The question will be can we replace Kobe's offense and Joe's defense. I think Themus and Blake will be easily replaced, in fact, I said it middle of the season, that I thought Blake Butler and Brandon Hardy were very similar types of players, but BH had much more of an upside than Butler, so I think we will be fine there. Themus struggled mightily all season for us at the point and MT played so well in his place, so not a big loss and I think Wright will be fine as a replacement. Obviously, we have upgraded the spots that Vinny and Giovanni took. We saw flashed of London Fields and Brandon Hardy and what they can bring, I think the coaches are excited to get Chancellor Fields back in the fold and one other intriguing player is Isiah Crawford, I think the coaches think that he has some ability, otherwise they would not have kept him around for 2 seasons even as a Walk on.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Looking at the players coming in, we had issues last season with what I called physical players late in games that seem to be worn down by our opponents. We played a very finesse game and many of the teams we played against were much more physical than us and I think it showed. Looking at some of the size we have coming in to replace these guys we are going to be I bigger for sure, that does not always equate to better, but I think we will be a much more physical team and deeper. The question will be can we replace Kobe's offense and Joe's defense. I think Themus and Blake will be easily replaced, in fact, I said it middle of the season, that I thought Blake Butler and Brandon Hardy were very similar types of players, but BH had much more of an upside than Butler, so I think we will be fine there. Themus struggled mightily all season for us at the point and MT played so well in his place, so not a big loss and I think Wright will be fine as a replacement. Obviously, we have upgraded the spots that Vinny and Giovanni took. We saw flashed of London Fields and Brandon Hardy and what they can bring, I think the coaches are excited to get Chancellor Fields back in the fold and one other intriguing player is Isiah Crawford, I think the coaches think that he has some ability, otherwise they would not have kept him around for 2 seasons even as a Walk on.
    I don't know the medical status of Crawford. As far as I know, he has yet to be cleared to even practice. I do know he is an excellent student. I do agree with Dave in his view that we appear to have improved our size and depth. I wonder if the approach of how we play will change. I suspect we will not be so reliant on the 3 ball as in the past. I say that because our signees appear to have the ability to get to the basket in reviewing their history and highlight tapes. Attempting to get to the rim on a more frequent basis may allow us to cut down on the free throw attempt discrepancy we had in most games in 23-24. Note, I don't know if the coaches agree with that view.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post

I was tired when I posted so I was short on detail but I'm saying its an assumption that depth will not be a problem next year. We have no idea how guys will contribute. I thought London Fields and Ratliffe should have played more than they did last year. Not playing them as much hurt our depth but we had the same number of players.

11. Default Re: MBB: Louisiana Signs Experienced Guard in Wright

I don't know the medical status of Crawford. As far as I know, he has yet to be cleared to even practice. I do know he is an excellent student. I do agree with Dave in his view that we appear to have improved our size and depth. I wonder if the approach of how we play will change. I suspect we will not be so reliant on the 3 ball as in the past. I say that because our signees appear to have the ability to get to the basket in reviewing their history and highlight tapes. Attempting to get to the rim on a more frequent basis may allow us to cut down on the free throw attempt discrepancy we had in most games in 23-24. Note, I don't know if the coaches agree with that view.
    If Crawford ever plays for the Cajuns I would be surprised….

Remember how we lost our starters to an FCS school down the road? Pepperidge farm remembers.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post

I don’t mean to speak for Zephyr. My interpretation of his post was that my comment that other schools will likely have similar issues with chemistry due to also having so many new players was rather speculative. It may be. My view was based on both the top teams from last season lost their top players due to NIL.

Note I just read his response. He was wondering if depth will still be an issue. It may be. My view is based on the fact that 2 scholarships players from last season are being replaced by players who have had some success at the D1 level or outstanding JC success. Yes the coaches will have to find a way to keep all those players committed to the cause.

Different players. Same coach.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information