Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: College athletes set to be paid directly by schools

1. Support College athletes set to be paid directly by schools

The NCAA and major conferences agreed to a settlement that would establish a revenue-sharing model for athletes beginning in the fall of 2025, though many steps remain to finalize the arrangement.

2. Default Re: College athletes set to be paid directly by schools

Wait until they move the salaries to the academic budget and they start making more than the DIE/DEI profs, then the faculty will revolt and budget will be destroyed

Default Re: College athletes set to be paid directly by schools

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    The NCAA and major conferences agreed to a settlement that would establish a revenue-sharing model for athletes beginning in the fall of 2025, though many steps remain to finalize the arrangement.

What could possibly go wrong ?

The other interesting thing that is going to happen is that scholarship limits may go away, BUT there will be roster limits.

For example, today there are 85 scholarships for football, but a roster size of 120. Currently being floated is a roster maximum of 100 in football, but all could be on scholarship. There are pros and cons to this, but this would stop schools from giving a player so much NIL money, but no scholarship to get around scholarship limits.

Where this gets interesting is in baseball, where there is currently an 11.7 scholarship limit. If that goes away and just has roster limitations, then you could see a huge increase in the number of baseball players under scholarship.

Obviously fund raising and revenue are still going to be the most important role of the athletic department, but now, the flexibility of scholarships will enable a lot more creativity to potentially focus/prioritize specific sports if you feel you have an edge.

Now Title IX still needs to be kept whole in this whole thing. If schools add more scholarships on the men's side, then the same amount needs to be added on the women's side of the ledger. I think enforcement of this is going to be a mess, as each school could have very different number of scholarships funded, at the end of the day.

SEC schools going to suddenly have dozens of trans "women" on their mens baseball and football teams to help that Title IX problem

6. Default Re: College athletes set to be paid directly by schools

I read a tweet where it said the settlement totaled to 2.7 billion and that the athletes eligible to participate goes back to the year 2016 and up through this year. I wonder what the criteria will be for past and current student-athletes to obtain a portion of these funds? The tweet also said that the settlement still needs to be approved by the judge so it appears it is not a done deal just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post
    Wait until they move the salaries to the academic budget and they start making more than the DIE/DEI profs, then the faculty will revolt and budget will be destroyed
    Why don't they apply DEI to athletics? Wouldn't that be interesting?

8. Default Re: College athletes set to be paid directly by schools

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    True Why dont they apply any standards or rules enforcement to athletics, that would be interesting

9. Default Re: College athletes set to be paid directly by schools

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    SEC schools going to suddenly have dozens of trans "women" on their mens baseball and football teams to help that Title IX problem
    They arent following title 9 now: (and took 50 years to claim they care by starting softball allegedly for that reason)

Generally, Divisions II and III have more equitable spending on men's and women's athletics programs than Division I. Compared with the 23% difference in total expenses between programs in Division I, Divisions II and III both have an 8% spending difference. Over the past five years, this gap has increased by 3 percentage points in Division I and 1 percentage point in Division II, while remaining the same in Division III.

10. Default Re: College athletes set to be paid directly by schools

"In our analysis of EADA data, we found that half (50 percent) of colleges
    offered the same number or fewer varsity sports for women in academic
    year 2021–2022 compared to 2009–2010. "

11. Default Re: College athletes set to be paid directly by schools

Lookie who has a big red dot in title ix

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne.content=static

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hemphill View Post
    I read a tweet where it said the settlement totaled to 2.7 billion and that the athletes eligible to participate goes back to the year 2016 and up through this year. I wonder what the criteria will be for past and current student-athletes to obtain a portion of these funds? The tweet also said that the settlement still needs to be approved by the judge so it appears it is not a done deal just yet.
    I saw some of the ideas that include playing time & star rating out of high school. Major hurdle is that the smaller conferences (D2 & D3) are fighting to make P4 pay 90% which would actually make every conference pay the same percentage of their budgets.

13. Default Re: College athletes set to be paid directly by schools

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Found out that in 2012 that 5 pct of student athletes were black female in 2021 that number ballooned to a whopping 5 pct, oh wait.err was still just 5 pct.

14. Default Re: College athletes set to be paid directly by schools

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post
    They arent following title 9 now: (and took 50 years to claim they care by starting softball allegedly for that reason)

Generally, Divisions II and III have more equitable spending on men's and women's athletics programs than Division I. Compared with the 23% difference in total expenses between programs in Division I, Divisions II and III both have an 8% spending difference. Over the past five years, this gap has increased by 3 percentage points in Division I and 1 percentage point in Division II, while remaining the same in Division III.
    this looks like you made it all up

15. Default Re: College athletes set to be paid directly by schools

A goal now is to find a way to institute spending caps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information