Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . LastLast

Thread: NOAA issues its most aggressive hurricane season forecast on record

1. Default Re: NOAA issues its most aggressive hurricane season forecast on record

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Interesting read. I'm not sure all their conclusions can really be definite as truth, such as "Combined, wind and solar generation led to 1,200 to 1,600 fewer premature mortalities in 2022", but I'm admittedly also not not a science major. Maybe my ChemE undergrad daughter can understand some of the science of that report better with the molecules evaluated for damages estimates.

All that aside, even if all the conclusions of that report are to be taken as 100% gospel fact, such as:

"Total benefits were found to be large, compared with levelized costs, energy market value, long-term contract prices, and direct subsidies."

It will be financially and structurally impossible to "transition" away from all needs for hydrocarbons even by 2050, and to try to force such a transition would be irresponsible and have other negative effects for humans not just in the United States, but across the globe.
    I do not disagree that a 2050 timeframe may not be possible but like any chore, it helps to put a time frame around it to get the process started, otherwise we just keep kicking the can. Our govt, fed, state and local, is usually pretty good about kicking the can down the road.
    For reading interest, check out the health effects of leaded gas exhaust.

Default Re: NOAA issues its most aggressive hurricane season forecast on record

About 15 years ago we were studying site selection for a project in Houma/Terrebonne Parish. One of the things I noticed was there were long swaths of land blocked from development maybe 50'-100' wide or perhaps more right in the middle of some developed areas. Not recessed retention ponds like DOTD enforces. Just more places for surface water to be absorbed into the ground. My memory is fading on the particulars but maybe the local developers were required to jointly buy these grounds. When I think of the rapid development that's been taking place in Broussard/Youngsville seems like more open land should be left undeveloped so surface waters can 'rest' instead of being channeled into a flood situation. Raises cost of developments to account for more land being set aside, but smart people usually figure these things out when there is money to be made.

Rip Van Winkle Gardens was damn near destroyed last night

Had a wedding out there and the groom said it was almost certainly a tornado.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post

Maybe our local media can get out there and give a report. No worry about missing it, would be the lead story thru next weekend.

Currently the grounds are closed at the gate because there are downed power lines and trees ripped to shreds

https://www.facebook.com/10006485946.92285/?app=fbl

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tyme View Post
    I do not disagree that a 2050 timeframe may not be possible but like any chore, it helps to put a time frame around it to get the process started, otherwise we just keep kicking the can. Our govt, fed, state and local, is usually pretty good about kicking the can down the road.
    For reading interest, check out the health effects of leaded gas exhaust.

Currently the grounds are closed at the gate because there are downed power lines and trees ripped to shreds

https://www.facebook.com/10006485946.92285/?app=fbl
    Looks like the tree canopy outside the restaurant took a big hit. The hollowed out water oak should serve as a reminder to all don’t put off what needs to be done today.

And I am not taking about just trees.

We had the same weather in the Woodlawn community. Split my water oak in 2 and just clipped my house. Scary stuff. Not as bad as what we experienced in Wimberley TX 3 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Maybe our local media can get out there and give a report. No worry about missing it, would be the lead story thru next weekend.

Lets see how long it lasts.

Youngsville/Ibera got hit with wind and rain. Henderson/Cecelia had tons of rain. A friend of mine in Cecelia was flooded in and was without power a good portion of the day Sunday.

https://www.katc.com/iberia-parish/r.o-storm-damage

https://www.kadn.com/news/local/part.fa072e942.html

10. Default Re: NOAA issues its most aggressive hurricane season forecast on record

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    It will be financially and structurally impossible to "transition" away from all needs for hydrocarbons even by 2050, and to try to force such a transition would be irresponsible and have other negative effects for humans not just in the United States, but across the globe.
    The only viable alternate to Hydrocarbons.

https://www.energy.gov/ne/articles/n.reactor-design

https://wordlesstech.com/westinghous.dular-reactor/

Name:  Westinghouse-unveils-AP300-small-Modular-Reactor-1-2923081926.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  165.7 KB

Also, I find it funny that after weeks of scare mongering the Hurricane season, this is one of the latest starts to a season we've had in many years. I think they are doing Hurricane dances at the Weather Channel in the hopes of conjuring a storm.

That being said, there will probably be something in the Gulf next week.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Also, I find it funny that after weeks of scare mongering the Hurricane season, this is one of the latest starts to a season we've had in many years. I think they are doing Hurricane dances at the Weather Channel in the hopes of conjuring a storm.

That being said, there will probably be something in the Gulf next week.
    Went to one of Levi’s sites this AM, nothing really to see except a little summertime rain.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Went to one of Levi’s sites this AM, nothing really to see except a little summertime rain.
    https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.4061012&fh=144

How about in 2 weeks?

https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.4061012&fh=336

Naw, a 1k MB low might get TWC nervous, doesn’t move the needle for me.

973 MB…check back in 10 days.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . LastLast

Thread Information